*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Stress test Supermicro X6DAT-G

Motherboard compatibillity with XigmaNAS, questions, answers, suggestions
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
dboy
Starter
Starter

Stress test Supermicro X6DAT-G

Post by dboy » 11 May 2016 00:12

Crashed disks in my old home server after 5 years of great use. Studied a bit and learned that it is risky to use a non-ECC equiped server, and also got worried with the new disks since they run at 7200rpm and runs hot, over 50 C.

Found a second hand Supermicro X6DAT-G with 4GB ECC RAM. The performance is similar to my old homebrew server but with twin CPU, and a much better but very noisy case.

Is there some way I can run a stress test on this old server? I would like to stuff some old harddisks into it, put a lot of load on it and se if it runs stable for a week or so before putting my ZFS disks into it.

If it runs good, I will max it out with memory and figure out if I can reduce the number if fans to reduce the noise level, (It has 8 fans..... 4 HD fans, 2 chassi fans, 2 PSU fans all running at 5000 rpm. Sound level is bad, and if I cant get the level down I will need to build an enclosure with sound traps and put it in the garage...still feel this is a better move than using workstation hardware, and the performance should be more than enough for home use.

b0ssman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Stress test Supermicro X6DAT-G

Post by b0ssman » 11 May 2016 08:45

memtest for memory

badblocks -wvsb 4096 <hd dev> and check the smart values afterwards. this is a destructive test so all data will be wiped.
Nas4Free 11.1.0.4.4517. Supermicro X10SLL-F, 16gb ECC, i3 4130, IBM M1015 with IT firmware. 4x 3tb WD Red, 4x 2TB Samsung F4, both GEOM AES 256 encrypted.

dboy
Starter
Starter

Post by dboy » 11 May 2016 15:49

Thanks, that would be a good idea for the disks I will mount later, but for know I am mostly interested at testing the mainboard itself, its internal communications, components and memory.

Dell servers (at least used to) have software that tested many parts of the subsystems. Is there something similar I could use for the Supermicro?
I would like to stress test as many pasts as possible.
I have experienced random shutdowns, but I am not sure why, the system halts without any explanation och message on the consol.

The system is basicly built up as:
2 separate PSU's controlled by a PSU board
mainboard
2*1 GB + 4*512 MB chips made by three different producers (not optimal, I know)
SATA:
An on board logic Marvel circuit with 4 SATA ports on the main board, connected to an active backplane with a total of 8 slots.
An onboard NIC and two extra ethernetcards.

It takes ages to boot from a USB, so I think I will put two small disks in a ZFS mirror to install the system on, and then 4 disks in a RAID-Z for data.
I guess I would, if possible, like to test all of this to make sure everything works before I put my (live) data disks into the system. I have a backup, but I prefer to avoid lengthy restores.

TammyBell
NewUser
NewUser

Post by TammyBell » 08 Dec 2016 09:00

Get a hold of yourself, and everything will be all right! I will give you some professional tips and recommendations about how to avoid stressful situations and always keep calm despite of troubles: Image 

Return to “Motherboards”