Sorry we lost some posts because of database errors!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-09-01: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7728 - released

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-08-27: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7718 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Sharing my server with neighbor without sharing internet

Routers, switch, hub, LAN, WAN, port forwarding, configuration etc go here
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
neky92
NewUser
NewUser

Sharing my server with neighbor without sharing internet

Post by neky92 »

TLDR: I want to share my plex server (xigmanas extension) with neighbors without sharing my internet connection

First of all, I have no idea where to put this topic, if this is the wrong place, sorry!

I want to share mainly my plex server (running as extension on xigmanas server) with neighbors, we have a lan cable connecting our apartments, and they share their internet connection with tenants in few other apartments they own in the building (they have lan cables from their apartment to all of theirs).

They have a modem/router running DHCP server on 192.168.1.x, I set my network on 192.168.0.x, and my internet connection on 192.168.2.x, I also share my plex server over the internet with my parents who live halfway across the world via remote access. My upload is not good enough to support all these people streaming over the internet, and I want my parents to have no problems streaming movies from my server ever, so I have to share with neighbors over the lan.

The problem is I don't want to share my internet connection too, because I pay for much faster internet than they are sharing with their tenants. I don't mind sharing my whole server instead of limiting access to just plex, since my files are pasword protected and they have no tech savvy tenants that could be a threat to my security. I was thinking about getting another network card for the server and just hooking it up to their network, IDK if that could work, if the server can have 2 different IP addresses, as you can see, I am not very knowledgeable with networking, so I am looking for something simple rather than 100% secure. I have another router on hand if needed.

Here is how the network looks visually now (my IOT router is not currently connected to their router, but I could connect it to look like the photo shows)

Breezewood
Starter
Starter

Re: Sharing my server with neighbor without sharing internet

Post by Breezewood »

This sounds like a good situation for VLANs.
My NAS:
XigmaNAS VM running in Hyper-V (Win Server2016 Datacenter) on a Dell Poweredge T610
12.1.0.4 - Ingva (revision 7683)
1TB VHDX allocated to SMB Share
4TB Seagate Barracuda SATA6 Attached to VM via Passthrough
-- Total System resources --
17.5TB Usable Disk Space
2x250GB RAID1, 6x2TB RAID50 in Server on PERC H700
4TB Standalone Drive in Server on SATA
6x1TB RAID50, 6x750GB RAID50, 2x750GB Hot Spares in Dell MD1000 DAS Enclosure via PERC 6/E
Dual Xeon E5620
96 GB Ram

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

This is a fairly tricky problem for consumer grade hardware.
You can't have two dhcp servers in the same subnet, but here you have two networks already, so that part is good.
The troublesome part is you'd need to link those two routers and set those interfaces to bridge whilst still serving DHCP on all other ports and wifi (assuming they're wifi routers). Then you'd need to set permanent routes between these two ports and do some sort of advertising like spanning tree.
I've looked at my DD-WRT router and it has some functions that might do something like this but certainly I suggest to seek assistance in some networking site/forum.
Another option could be to put a switch in between the two networks. It is the two routers that I think cause the most complication in this setup.
Main: Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS as ESXi VM with 24GB memory.
Main Host: Supermicro X8DT3 Memory: 72GB ECC; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 TB in raidZ1, 1 x 3 TB SAS drive as single stripe, 3 x 4 TB SAS drives in raidZ1.
Spare1: HP DL360 G7; 6 GB ECC RAM; 1 Xeon CPU; 5 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Backup1: HP DL380 G7; 24 GB ECC RAM; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; 8 x 500 GB disks on IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT

lindsay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by lindsay »

If i would set it up it had to be with VLAN`s , look for lawrence s systems youtube channel.
If you use VLAN`s it isolate network at your desire, you choose what is allowed on that subnet.
Protected by smoothiebox Red,Green,
Purple,Orange Zones/VLAN`s