*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

The RAT NAS

Show off that NAS4Free system!
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
RayCJ
NewUser
NewUser

The RAT NAS

Post by RayCJ » 31 Dec 2015 23:33

This has been a fun project. The hostname is RATNAS.

CPU: i5 4440 3.1GHz
MB: MSI H97M-G43
RAM: 32GB Kingston Hyperx @ 1600 MHz
CPU Fan: Arctic Freeze #7
PS: Corsair 400W Modular
CASE: Thermaltake V21
DRIVE RACK: (scrap aluminum)
UPS: APC XS-1300

2TB ZFS Mirror on NFS for 10 surveillance cameras (1080p, 22fps).
4TB ZFS Mirror for CIFS family network storage.

The fans blow front to back and with with 20C ambient temperature and the system under full continuous load, the CPU runs about 39C and the drives run between 30-35C. It's hard to see in the picture but the drive rack has an 80mm fan pulling air across the drives. The system is whisper quiet. The house LAN has a multimode fiber GigE backbone that connects three switches to a central switch. The cameras can generate a total continuous traffic anywhere from 10Mbps to 120Mbps (depending on how many detect motion). The NAS easily consumes 1.18 MBps which is the top end of the GigE LAN. If I had to do it over again, I would get a less expensive low-end XEON and opt for ECC RAM. This CPU has never gone over 10% utilization.

Ray
IMG_0792.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: The RAT NAS

Post by JoseMR » 01 Jan 2016 00:14

Gratz, very nice looking and compact build with a huge CPU and RAM. :)
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

noclaf
experienced User
experienced User

Post by noclaf » 01 Jan 2016 01:26

Out of curiosity - is there some surveilance SW on the NAS, or is that solved externally?

RayCJ
NewUser
NewUser

Post by RayCJ » 01 Jan 2016 02:08

noclaf wrote:Out of curiosity - is there some surveilance SW on the NAS, or is that solved externally?
Short answer: Solved externally.

Long answer: The surveillance viewing and management SW is on a desktop. I'm running HikVision cameras which have 2 channels, one low-def and the other hi-def. The SW (iVMS-4200) constantly displays the low-def but if you double-click any image, it displays the hi-def. The cameras send a constant stream of hi-def to the NAS at all times. Each camera has it's own NFS share. Each camera maintains a rolling 30 second buffer file on the NAS and if a camera detects motion, it captures the preceding 30 seconds plus ongoing activity as long as motion is still detected. Recording continues for 1 minute once motion is not detected.

This seems complicated but, continuous recording would wear-out drives very quickly. With this method, each camera records about 10 - 30GB every day instead of 1/4 TB per day. I'm using Seagate Surveillance-quality drives and space is allocated with a 30% buffer. When the cameras use-up their allocated disk space, they automatically delete some of the oldest files previously created. Fragmentation stabilizes at 12%. I easily get about 10-12 days of recording before it starts self-deleting old files.

As far as viewing on the desktop. It takes a robust machine to display multiple 1080p hi-def streams. I'm running an i7 4790k which can competently decode/display 6 streams. Dropouts start to occur when the 7th stream is brought on-line. For normal viewing, the low-def, low-FPS stream is fine.

Ray

RayCJ
NewUser
NewUser

Post by RayCJ » 01 Jan 2016 02:20

JoseMR wrote:Gratz, very nice looking and compact build with a huge CPU and RAM. :)

Thank you Jose...

I forgot to mention in the original post, the entire NAS uses 55-60W power and has never gone higher than that. This i5 processor could consume 84W under heavy load but, I don't have enough LAN speed to make it work harder.

Some day, I might take replace this CPU/mobo with cheap low power Xeon and ECC memory. That would be fun...

I really like this NAS4Free. I had no problems with it. It took 1 day to figure it out and another week of playing and tweaking... Very nice software system...

Ray

pokeyboy
Starter
Starter

Post by pokeyboy » 02 Jan 2016 02:19

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing your build and the info.

RayCJ
NewUser
NewUser

Post by RayCJ » 02 Jan 2016 04:22

pokeyboy wrote:Very interesting! Thanks for sharing your build and the info.
Thanks!

One thing I wanted to mention... That case is pretty nice for this purpose. I've built dozens of computers using traditional tower or mini-tower cases but this is the first square-box type. It's interesting because all the side panels are interchangeable. If you want to mount the Mobo vertically, you just take the bottom panel off rotate the cage to the orientation of your liking and shuffle the other panels around. It has one very small but sometimes annoying feature. The power switch is extremely sensitive. The slightest touch will send the power-down signal. I'm going to put a strip of plastic over it to prevent accidental shutdown. Other than that, for $69 (US), it's really nice for this purpose.

Ray

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 02 Jan 2016 05:34

RayCJ wrote:
pokeyboy wrote:The power switch is extremely sensitive. The slightest touch will send the power-down signal. I'm going to put a strip of plastic over it to prevent accidental shutdown.
You may try with disabling the power button under System|Advanced|sysctl.conf, just enable the hw.acpi.power_button_state.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “Gallery”