*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

NAS withouth a case

Show off that XigmaNAS system!
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
RainDamage
NewUser
NewUser

NAS withouth a case

Post by RainDamage » 21 Aug 2016 14:59

Hi,

Here's my Nas4free setup.
I wanted it to be:
- cheap
- power-efficient
- silent
- cheap
- encrypted
- sort of reliable
- cheap

Well "cheap" is the recurring theme here. (As if you couldn't tell from looking at the picture :D .) This NAS mostly wooden contraption hangs on the wall in our broom closet. At first the drives were a push-fit but they're spinning 24/7 and the vibration made them slowly slide out. I had a degraded array once and found one of the drives on the floor :shock: . I nailed some more wood around them drives afterwards.

Left in the picture you'll notice PicoUPS. Not in the picture are the sealed lead acid battery and the power brick. A PicoPSU rounds it off. Brilliant stuff. And heaps cooler and quieter than the old 220v UPS.

All is well but with encryption (geli) filetransfers are slow. Also ZFS without ECC which, I'm led to believe, eventually will result in data fire & brimstone or data corruption, whichever comes first.

As you see a thorough professional setup. I'm thinking about upgrading i.e. replacing mobo/cpu with something with ECC & AES support. Asus M5A78L with a FX4100 perhaps.

But a HP microserver gen8 sounds promising too.
The Hague area - Central European Time

Jack Foobar
experienced User
experienced User

Re: NAS withouth a case

Post by Jack Foobar » 26 Aug 2016 07:11

I'm digging that PicoUPS. On the surface, it looks like a dumpster fire, but you got some neat tech underneath there. Well done man.

armandh
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by armandh » 26 Aug 2016 14:12

a free case will come along some time.
my under $20 build case [gallery photo no longer available] was found curb side waiting for the trash pickup.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=7842
re purpose is better than recycle
4 thread 3300 Mhz Intel i3, 1 TB ZFS mirror, available RAM 7.823 Gb, 64 bit NAS4Free 9.1.0.1 rev 573 [88 watts, 48 Mbps]
2 thread 1600 Mhz atom/ion, 1 TB ZFS mirror, available RAM 3.083 Gb, 64 bit NAS4Free-9.1.0.1 rev 573 [27 watts, 35 Mbps]
2 thread 3900 Mhz AMD A6-6400K, 2 TB ZFS Mirror, available RAM 7.557 Gb, 64 bit Nas4Free 9.3.0.2.1771 [89 watts, 68 Mbps]

Lord Crc
Starter
Starter

Post by Lord Crc » 28 Aug 2016 14:26

That's a fun looking setup :P

What's the RPi for?

Riften
Starter
Starter

Post by Riften » 05 Sep 2016 16:34

LOL I had discovered years ago (like 12+) that cases meant having to run small high RPM, high noise fans AND dealing with heat build-up. So I have been running my server (currently ESXI and 4 VMs) and gaming rig on a 6ft high 4ft long metal 5 shelf shelving unit from Lowes, with motherboard trays, drive cages, 200mm fans and custom water all ziptied on. The remaining space has plastic drawers for spare parts and cables. Serious ghetto, but you beat me there and I like it!

Oh, it is hanging on the wall? Cool. I had thought about doing that with the NAS with some kind of shadow box but with all the drives to deal with, I stuck it in my first case in over 12 years. Wish I had room on my shelving unit.

FYI I am using an Asus/AMD setup with ECC ram (see sig) and am very happy with it. Just bought another 16 gigs ram due to just adding 4 more drives and am running a MEMTEST before booting it up right now, which reports the ECC is seen. Those Asus boards are not as fancy as a server board with a XEON but I've been running these boards for years (have one that's been running for like 3+ years 24/7) and they are great for a budget build.
Tzvia
11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 5774)
Supermicro X10SL7-F, Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3, 3.5 GHz
32gigs Pacific Sun ECC 1600MHz
4x Toshiba 3TB NAS drives, 4x Toshiba 4TB NAS drives: ZFS stripped mirrors
4 port Intel NIC
Thermaltake V71 Case (yea it's huge) & EVGA 650W PSU

transposedmesse
NewUser
NewUser

Post by transposedmesse » 13 Feb 2017 00:39

Interesting approach. Forego the case and DIY some sort of rack.

RainDamage
NewUser
NewUser

Post by RainDamage » 07 Jan 2018 01:08

Well, finally got around to it and upgraded. New motherboard, new drives, and of course: a new piece of board to mount it all.

It's not hanging on a wall, this one goes inside a wall. There just happened to be an unfinished wall with a fan running 24/7 mounted to it. This will provide a nice (and near silent!) air flow when I close up the wall.

I did find a M5A78 but started with an Athlon which does not provide AES extensions so no hardware crypto which of course I only found out when everything was set up and running. I quickly swapped it with a second hand FX4100.

I've foregone the ECC memory. The server ECC DIMMs I got cheap did not boot at all and I'm a bit skeptical of al fear-mongering about ZFS, scrubbing & non-ECC. We'll see.

As for the rest, it's the same, PicoPSU and PicoUPS, a separate Raspberry Pi for serving web & mail (Lord Crc: so no exposure of the nas to the internet, or at least that's the idea.)

The wires may look like my wife's hair in the morning, but fret not, I'm making a new wiring harness to put that right.

Gidley
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Gidley » 18 Feb 2018 11:41

RainDama3ge wrote:
18 Feb 2018 12:08
Yes; but I since last posting I have made this phenq review a cover. At the top it's connected to a "whole house fan" that happened to be there. At the bottom there's room for a filter, simple household stuff.
That's so cool. It's like an art piece. Doesn't the dust get everywhere if you leave it like that though?
Last edited by Gidley on 02 Oct 2019 08:12, edited 2 times in total.

RainDamage
NewUser
NewUser

Post by RainDamage » 18 Feb 2018 12:08

Yes; but I since last posting I have made a cover. At the top it's connected to a "whole house fan" that happened to be there. At the bottom there's room for a filter, simple household stuff.

It keeps the motherboard and disks nicely cool, but the ventilation is not enough for the anemic stock AMD cooler so I put in a water cooler.

Return to “Gallery”