*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Problem mounting UFS disk - apparently GEOM error

Filesystems(UFS, EXT2, FAT, NTFS, ZFS), mount points, partitions
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
kernel-panik
NewUser
NewUser

Problem mounting UFS disk - apparently GEOM error

Post by kernel-panik » 06 Feb 2014 19:03

I added an additional SATA disk in my server for backups, added the disk normally in the manager, formatted it to UFS, and when I tried to mount it it showed "Operation not Permitted" error in the logs.

After searching for the error I found a post suggesting to do "sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10". After doing that I was able to mount the disk manually, but if I reboot the server the mount will fail again.

Is there any way of fixing this error without messing with kernel variables / sysctl?

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem mounting UFS disk - apparently GEOM error

Post by raulfg3 » 06 Feb 2014 20:26

there are a sysctl.conf tab in webGUI since 9.1.0.1.847 and newer version to add sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10 from webGUI and makes changes permanent in enbeded install ( and in full install too)
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

kernel-panik
NewUser
NewUser

Post by kernel-panik » 07 Feb 2014 00:32

Thanks Raúl for your answer,

I understand I can modify the sysctl so the system will let me mount the disk in the future, but I was wondering if there was anything I can do to fix the underlying problem (possible geometry error).

First, because I will prefer not to modify that variable (it is there to protect from something) and also because I dont want to have problems mounting that disk in another machine (i.e. a Linux box with UFS support) in case I need to recover data.

I want to use the sysctl modification only as last resort.

Veloce
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Veloce » 18 Mar 2018 02:58

Same thing happened to me, somehow the boot sector of my 16Gb. Apacer SSD got corrupted, even a second one I keep for backup sake crashed.
After expirencing the same error as eiger3970 I tried to format them both as FAT32, hoping they would be fit again to be able to install N4F again.
With the help of "Universal USB Installer" utility:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
I could download the mintlinux ISO and install it on an USB drive to install N4F again to one of the Apacers.

After the initial setup I restored my backup of the config, and started restoring OBI.
With help of the "tools" -> "command" option, find below.

Install OBI:
fetch https://raw.github.com/crestAT/nas4free ... er/OBI.php && mkdir -p ext/OBI && echo '<a href="OBI.php">OneButtonInstaller</a>' > ext/OBI/menu.inc && echo -e "\nDONE"

Manual installation of Plex when OBI fails:
fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JRGTH ... nstall.php && mkdir -p ext/plex-install && echo '<a href="plex-install.php">Plex Extension Installer</a>' > ext/plex-install/menu.inc && echo -e "\n=> Done!"
11.1.0.4 - Atomics (revision 5313) + OBI (Full version)
Lian Li PC-Q25B
x64-full on AMD A10-5745M APU(8Gb RAM)
HP Apacer 16GB (Boot)
5*3TB WD-RED

Return to “Basic storage concept”