*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Cold storage / offline / archive?

Filesystems(UFS, EXT2, FAT, NTFS, ZFS), mount points, partitions
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
cp.engr
Starter
Starter

Cold storage / offline / archive?

Post by cp.engr » 28 Apr 2015 22:27

Does NAS4Free have any capabilities to work with cold/offline/archive storage?

My idea is that I could have certain infrequently-accessed files on their own physical storage device (disk), and only power that up occasionally when needed. Then n4f could just mount and share it when it detects it's connected and powered up - or when I tell it to look - but it wouldn't do anything special when it's not connected.

Thanks.

b0ssman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Cold storage / offline / archive?

Post by b0ssman » 29 Apr 2015 10:28

you can spin down your hard drives after a certain amount of inactivity

http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=do ... management
Nas4Free 11.1.0.4.4517. Supermicro X10SLL-F, 16gb ECC, i3 4130, IBM M1015 with IT firmware. 4x 3tb WD Red, 4x 2TB Samsung F4, both GEOM AES 256 encrypted.

ChriZathens
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by ChriZathens » 29 Apr 2015 10:44

Yeap, and as an additional option you can create an archive pool which will be accessed only in backup times and the disks will be spun down all other times.
My Nas
  1. Case: Fractal Design Define R2
  2. M/B: Supermicro x9scl-f
  3. CPU: Intel Celeron G1620
  4. RAM: 16GB DDR3 ECC (2 x Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G)
  5. PSU: Chieftec 850w 80+ modular
  6. Storage: 8x2TB HDDs in a RaidZ2 array ~ 10.1 TB usable disk space
  7. O/S: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6625 -amd64 embedded
  8. Extra H/W: Dell Perc H310 SAS controller, crosflashed to LSI 9211-8i IT mode, 8GB Innodisk D150SV SATADOM for O/S

Backup Nas: HP N40L (4x1TB HP branded Seagate disks in RaidZ configuration - 8GB ECC RAM)

cp.engr
Starter
Starter

Post by cp.engr » 29 Apr 2015 16:15

That's definitely good to know. Not quite what I'm looking for at the moment, though - I want to have the drives completely disconnected.

mobocracy
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mobocracy » 02 Jun 2016 12:27

cp.engr wrote:That's definitely good to know. Not quite what I'm looking for at the moment, though - I want to have the drives completely disconnected.
I've done something similar on NTFS with symlinks on a hot filesystem to removable storage (256 GB SD card). It works, but there's nothing automagic about it other than the links aren't dead when the media is inserted.

The downside, of course, is that the links are dead when the media's not inserted and the OS doesn't have the intelligence to prompt for the right media when trying to access the links, in addition to some kind of mental management of what's stored on each individual removable media.

In an ideal world, you would have true hierarchical intelligence in the OS and filesystem where accessing cold data it would prompt for the desired media. Going even further down the wishlist rabbit hole, it would automate the process somewhat by allowing you to mark files as "cold archive" which would leave links behind and move the data to whatever archive media is mounted (or queue it for movement when media gets mounted). And it would also track and index the archive media used, so you wouldn't have to manually keep track of which archive media stored which data.

I'm pretty sure that high-end enterprise storage systems have had such a hierarchical storage system for some time, usually tied to a robotic tape library for cold storage, and the whole process demand driven by utilization dates and online file system space. A last access threshold is set which moves files past that date to cold storage on some regular basis and/or automatically on demand when the online filesystem passes a certain capacity high water mark.

I've never run across a system like that myself, at least in the x86 world. I think older versions of Windows might have had this as an in-built feature, but I think cheap disk, disdain for tape and a lack of native OS support for it at the filesystem level have made it less appealing.

Parkcomm
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Parkcomm » 03 Jun 2016 11:41

cp.engr wrote:That's definitely good to know. Not quite what I'm looking for at the moment, though - I want to have the drives completely disconnected.
I'm not sure exactly what you are after, do you mean like and external USB drive. This is supported very well including automounting under the extended GUI.
NAS4Free Embedded 10.2.0.2 - Prester (revision 2003), HP N40L Microserver (AMD Turion) with modified BIOS, ZFS Mirror 4 x WD Red + L2ARC 128M Apple SSD, 10G ECC Ram, Intel 1G CT NIC + inbuilt broadcom

erik
experienced User
experienced User

Post by erik » 07 Jun 2016 10:45

For cold storage I use a USB drive with one ZFS pool on it so I can use zfs send to replicate
Connecting/disconnecting the drive work well but I would like to have a gui option to export the pool.

Would it be possible to add 'export' as one of the options in the zfs tool menu?
Or should this be done via the disks/zfs/configuration/synchronize menu?
primary NAS: 2*8Tb raidz1, backup NAS: 6*2TB raidz2, remote backup NAS: 3*2TB raidz1 : All NAS4Free 11.0

Return to “Basic storage concept”