*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Software RAID1 OK, But Shows No Disks After Upgrade

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
piotrek
NewUser
NewUser

Software RAID1 OK, But Shows No Disks After Upgrade

Post by piotrek »

Before I begin... yes, I know software RAID is not recommended, but I have been using it on N4F (and the previous project) for many years with no issues (always embedded version, old Frankenstein hardware, home use), with backups of course... so here goes...

I had just upgraded from 9.3.0.2-1955 to 10.2.02-2235. All looked fine and all shares came back up with no issues. I checked the N4F status page and all volumes (software RAID1) showed OK. I decided to poke around and check all configs, particularly software RAID volumes. They showed COMPLETE, but when I checked inside (Disks|Software RAID|RAID1|Edit)... there emerged an error message telling me "You must add disks first", as if there were none in the RAID set. I used the "tools" tab to check things out and all was clean, and all member disks were showing. I've been lucky in the past that I didn't have to clear config and import any disks after restore, but I decided to go ahead and do that... and nothing changed.

Under "Disks|Management|HDD Management", the individual disks that are members of the RAID1 sets show Filesystem as "Unknown or unformatted".

I am currently rebuilding the RAID sets (just because) but I suspect that it won't solve the mystery. Any thoughts on how I can make this error go away?... even thought all seems to be well data integrity wise...

Many thanks in advance.
User since 2007. N4F 10.2.0.2 on ASUS A7V133-C 1.5GB, 4 Promise SATA3 Controllers, 10TB (10 data disks)

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Software RAID1 OK, But Shows No Disks After Upgrade

Post by raulfg3 »

use button "Clear config & import software RAID Disk" probably you have a Swif Disk Syndrome.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

piotrek
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Software RAID1 OK, But Shows No Disks After Upgrade

Post by piotrek »

raulfg3 wrote:use button "Clear config & import software RAID Disk" probably you have a Swif Disk Syndrome.
Well, that was easy... Looked at some old configs from past releases... and I had carried this error from rev to rev for about two years. Shame on me.

Thank you for your help!! Curious... what is "Swif Disk Syndrome"?
User since 2007. N4F 10.2.0.2 on ASUS A7V133-C 1.5GB, 4 Promise SATA3 Controllers, 10TB (10 data disks)

Return to “Software RAID”