*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Can't destroy raid5 -- reappears every time drives are freed from other uses

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
selulven
Starter
Starter

Can't destroy raid5 -- reappears every time drives are freed from other uses

Post by selulven »

I initially created a software RAID5 out of four drives, but upon seeing the initial build time, I decided to not go that route after all. So 15% into the rebuild, I issued the

Code: Select all

graid5 stop <name>
command. This caused the everything to be deleted, the drives were "freed" and the RAID5 began rebuilding immediately. I then added -f -y to make it

graid5 stop -f -y <name>
This time, it didn't start the rebuild.

I then reformatted the drives as ZFS Storage Pool and created two mirrored vdevs in the GUI. So far so good. But then I changed my mind again and deleted the vdevs.

Immediately the RAID5 resumed its rebuild at 15%.

This has happened twice now.

Does anyone know how I completely and utterly destroy this surprisingly resilient RAID5?
Last edited by selulven on 12 Feb 2016 10:10, edited 2 times in total.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't destroy raid5 -- reappears every time drives are freed from other uses

Post by raulfg3 »

12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

selulven
Starter
Starter

Re: Can't destroy raid5 -- reappears every time drives are freed from other uses

Post by selulven »

Hi raulfg3. Thanks for replying.

In the end, I solved it with a combination of measures. Every time I formatted a disk as ZFS Pool Storage, it would be "freed" and taken by the RAID5. If I at this point did this:

graid5 dump <disk>
I would see that there was still GEOM/UFS/RAID5 metadata on the disk. So I speculated that this would remove the metadata:

graid5 remove <name> <disk>
and running dump again verified that it did. I repeated the cycle for all disks (format, remove, dump), and in the end I removed the whole RAID5 using

graid5 destroy <name>
and this time it STAYED down.

However, isn't this a bug -- or maybe lack of required feature -- in NAS4Free?

You must be able to repurpose disks from one use to the other. If you can never repurpose disks from RAID5 to ZFS (or perhaps vice versa or some other combination I haven't tried) without resorting to wiping or having the necessary shell skills, then there's a big-ish hole in NAS4Free's functionality.

Return to “Software RAID”