*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Draft RAID1 SoftRAID Build From Existing Disks - V II

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JHM001
Starter
Starter

Draft RAID1 SoftRAID Build From Existing Disks - V II

Post by JHM001 » 31 Jan 2018 06:13

*** LATE BREAKING NOTE -- THIS RECIPE IS NOT VALID -- SEE ATTACHED -- MORE LATER ***

MAYBE THIS NOTE SHOULD JUST BE ERASED -- it's noise now.

SUMMARY ISSUE -- SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE TO ADD A DRIVE TO AN EXISTING SOFTRAID SET
FORTUNATELY, EVERYTHING WORKED OUT IN THE END, AND NOW HAVE A NICE FUNCTIONING 2-DRIVE SOFTRAID SET

For this reason I have removed this recipe. My apologies for confusion that might have resulted.
Last edited by JHM001 on 08 Feb 2018 05:22, edited 6 times in total.

JHM001
Starter
Starter

Re: Draft RAID1 SoftRAID Build From Existing Disks - V II

Post by JHM001 » 05 Feb 2018 00:12

OK, this isn't going to work. I'm pursuing a different approach and will report back, and maybe re-write the script.

I can boil the question down as follows: How can one build a RAID1 NAS using SoftRAID technology (not ZFS) if you start with a single copy of your data on a hard drive? And where your system has only two bays? (And maybe you're not so great at networking.)

[*]Related question: How to add a 3rd drive to a 2-drive SoftRAID set?

So, the goal is achievable. You just rsync data from a new third drive (vis an external SATA on an open box). In the case here, I had to add the third drive, and copy contents to it.

So, the question becomes, can you do this with only two drives (3 TB drives are > $ 100 typically)?

This would require the possibility of ADDING a blank drive to a single-drive RAID1 SoftRAID "set". I learned it is POSSIBLE to create and use a single-drive SoftRAID. But I couldn't figure how to add a blank drive to that populated drive, and then just have the RAID set propagate to the other drive.

I think understanding this could be broadly useful for people on limited budgets, which of course describes at least part of the FreeNAS community.

I certainly welcome any guidance as to best practices -- or maybe wording the question better! Perhaps I have just completely missed something that would have made the whole process easier and less nerve-wracking!

[I recognize that ZFS is the way to go. I got sidetracked for a while on the issue of ECC RAM -- it seems that in fact ECC, while nice, is not the high risk that some have suggested. So probably over next year will go ZFS and then enjoy snapshotting etc., and without ECC RAM -- after all what we're enjoying is what NAS4Free is advertised for -- great local mass storage on machines "you probably have lying around the home".]
Last edited by JHM001 on 06 Feb 2018 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 05 Feb 2018 07:33

Sorry not enought experience with soft raid, only with ZFS.

You can start with 2 disk mirror and grow adding 2 disk at a time.

doc:
https://www.nas4free.org/forums/viewtop ... 20&p=34222

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?th ... oobs.7775/
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

JHM001
Starter
Starter

Post by JHM001 » 06 Feb 2018 22:15

Thanks -- I'm just not with ZFS yet. Planned.

Return to “Software RAID”