*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Wrong Links to Volumes in Software RAID Management

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
tuaris
experienced User
experienced User

Wrong Links to Volumes in Software RAID Management

Post by tuaris »

The screen is as follows:

Code: Select all

Volume Name 	Type 	Size 	Status 	
Personal 	1 	476941MB  	COMPLETE  	Edit RAID  Delete RAID
Public 	1 	953870MB  	DEGRADED  	Edit RAID  Delete RAID
I click on Edit RAID for volume "Public" it takes me to edit screen for volume "Personal".
I click on Edit RAID for volume "Personal" it takes me to edit screen for volume "Public".

Same happens with "Delete RAID"

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wrong Links to Volumes in Software RAID Management

Post by raulfg3 »

Please use the new option import disk and clear config & import Raid , this may solve your problem.
If not, please provide a copy of "dmesg" or a copy of the boot log.

PD: Save your config previosly.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

tuaris
experienced User
experienced User

Post by tuaris »

I clicked "Clear config and Import Software RAID disks".
This solves the problem each time it occurs. I think it occurs when the RAID gets degraded or the disks device names shift around.

Also, I want to clear up a question regarding the two "Clear Config" buttons.
"Clear config and Import Disks" will clear all disks and import all disks? correct?

"Clear config and Import Software RAID disks" will clear only RAID disks and import RAID disks? right?

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

yes, right both questions
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Dan138
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Dan138 »

Hey all, I've got to keep this one open.

This is definitely an issue. I've got 2 onboard SATA ports and a 4 port softraid card, and had the same issue. The OS jumbles the disk names when you make physical, BIOS, or controller changes (like ada0, ada1 etc) which messes the whole thing up. I've seen threads about using Serial numbers or similar to name disks, and this would be a good reason to do it that way.

The Nas4Free webmin gets confused as hell and makes for a great way to break disks and lose data!

Also, the software RAID page never shows the "provider" - i.e. the member disks when you go into the settings of each RAID. Broken implementation here and I'd love to see some comment folks!

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

Dan138 wrote:This is definitely an issue
sorry, NOT a issue of Nas4Free, perhaps a issue of BSD or Windows.
The problem is how BSD and windows detect disk, both uses the order passed by BIOS to assing a letter ( ada0, ada1, ada2, etcc in BSD and "C" , "D", "E", etc.. in windows.

If you add a disk to your system or modify order in BIOS, or add a new SATA controller, your disk are detected in wrong order.

To avoid this problem ( that normally only happens by human intervention or by problems in BIOS) you must use labels.

There are a lot of info of how to label a Disk prior to use ,and you can create a ZFS pool using Label instead of device names.

PD: Keep in mind that ZFS know what phisical disk use it in a pool and can still mount and have a working pool in the case of changed / moved disk, so the problem involves only how to identify disk in webGUI , and do not lose data in any case.

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by al562 »

Dan138 wrote:make physical, BIOS, or controller changes
Should not be done on a regular basis. When doing upgrade (bigger drives, adding more drives, controllers) plan ahead, make sure you fully understand your configuration, make sure you know which disk is which and where they belong, backup your configuration file. The NAS4Free WebGUI is a marvelous thing and it works great, but it cannot anticipate/correct for all combinations of hardware or every physical or BIOS change you might make ;) .

All the best,
Al

Return to “Software RAID”