*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

RAID 10 Recovery

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
andy@omygoodness.com
NewUser
NewUser

RAID 10 Recovery

Post by andy@omygoodness.com »

I am in the middle of a Forced Upgrade to NAS4Free after I had my USB die. I had 4 disks running a RAID 10. I had an initial challenge in that I didn't realize that freeNAS had forked and spent 3 days working with their latest. During which I removed 1 of the drives from 1 of my mirrors. So I used the ISO to create a new USB, started up the USB and Disks/Management/Import Software Raid Disks. This brought in the Mirrors correctly for the RAID 1 portion, but it didn't bring in the second part and add the RAID 0 across the top. When I go to Disks/Software Raid/Raid 0/1/5 and click on +, no disks show up. When I set up the disks, I needed to format Mirror 1 & Mirror 2 before I could build the RAID 0. I am afraid to do the formatting for fear that I'll loose my data (if it is not already lost!).

The Raid 10 has been imported:
nas4free:/dev/gvinum# ls -l
total 0
crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 136 Nov 25 02:21 HomeDocs
crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 137 Nov 25 02:21 HomeDocsp1

Any suggestions? Do I still have a shot at recovering my data? I have a partial backup, but not a current one. So I would like to try to restore if possible.

Andy

andy@omygoodness.com
NewUser
NewUser

Re: RAID 10 Recovery

Post by andy@omygoodness.com »

OK. Over 1 week, 29 readers and no answers. I'll take that as a reminder that RAID <> BACKUP, rebuild from scratch and move on. Meaningful lessons seem to always need to hurt.

Andy

ku-gew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by ku-gew »

If you don't get answers try in another ZFS-related forum, it works the same way in different operating systems with also the same command line options.
HP Microserver N40L, 8 GB ECC, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
XigmaNAS stable branch, always latest version
SMB, rsync

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

sorry no experience on RAID10 only on ZFS.

In general do a backup of your valuable data prior to a great change is clever.

PD: This time valorate to use ZFS RaidZ2 not Raid10, in general you have less problems and are well supported in this forum.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Return to “Software RAID”