*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Recover software RAID

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Jaden
NewUser
NewUser

Recover software RAID

Post by Jaden »

I installed and ran NAS4Free (9.1.0.1.531) on a VM in ESXi. It was installed onto a VM disk. I then added 2 real 2TB disks, exposed to nas4free directly by ESXi and created a software RAID 1 and all was good.

Then, whilst trying to fix another problem, I must have rebooted at a bad time and trashed my config.xml. Which means that nas4free won't boot.

I am happy to re-install but obviously don't want to loose the existing software RAID. If I add the disks to a new install, will it pick up the RAID automatically and not need to format etc? I really don't want to loose what is on the disks.

Couldn't see this questions answered in a forum/documentation/FAQ but happy to be pointed in the right place if it has been.

Up until the point I did something stupid, I was very happy, it's a great system. I will be backing up my config.xml next time, obviously...

Thanks.

J.

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Recover software RAID

Post by al562 »

Hi Jaden,
Jaden wrote: I must have rebooted at a bad time and trashed my config.xml. Which means that nas4free won't boot.
NAS4Free will boot without a configuration file. If it crashes on boot for some reason you may have/may have caused other problems including corruption of data/metadata on disks.
Jaden wrote: If I add the disks to a new install, will it pick up the RAID automatically and not need to format etc?
Assuming there was no damage to data/metadata. If it were a physical machine yes, you should be able to import the SoftRAID1. Since it is a VM/ESXi probably yes, but I haven't tried it.

Since you are starting from scratch anyway, I would recommend installing version 573 then importing the array.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Al

Jtcdesigns
Starter
Starter

Re: Recover software RAID

Post by Jtcdesigns »

Just to be clear.... you have a VM on a datastore... then you added 2 physical disks and made them a raid1 and used those as data for the nas?

When you rebooted... did you reboot the VM or the ESXi host? that can yield completely separate results.

Return to “Software RAID”