*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Software RAID5, recover with new disks?

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
bug2k13
NewUser
NewUser

Software RAID5, recover with new disks?

Post by bug2k13 »

I have a problem with my 4 disk FreeNAS7 software raid5 array, 2 of the disks have failed!

The software raid5 array made up of 4 250GB IDE disks, unfortunately it looks like 2 of the disks no longer power up. I know that normally this would mean all data is gone. As all disks are the same, I tried moving the controller board from a working drive to the faulty ones and they power up and seem to work fine.

My question is, if I clone these 2 faulty drives to a pair of new 250gig sata drives and power up FreeNAS7 with the 2 new sata drives (each with identical data to the old faulty ide drives) and 2 of the original working 250gig IDE drives, will FreeNAS automatically 'see' the original software raid volume?

Thanks

rostreich

Re: Software RAID5, recover with new disks?

Post by rostreich »

to do this you will need exactly these hard drives OR bigger ones. thats because 250GB are not always 250GB on another vendor. some harddisks have some KB more or less than your old HDs and then the copying will fail if the size is smaller.

if you have acronis true image boot cd, you have to make a sectorbysector copy, not the normal clone copy!

good luck!

bug2k13
NewUser
NewUser

Post by bug2k13 »

Ok, I've cloned one of the faulty disks to a new sata drive.
When I've booted into freenas it doesn't automatically pick it up as a member of the software raid5 volume, it just shows the raid5 in a critical condition with only 2 of the 4 disks present.

The original members of the raid were AD4, AD5, AD6 and AD7.

The Disks AD4 and AD5 are now showing as missing. If I go to Diagnostics/Information it shows the new disk as AD11, this is a clone of the original AD5 (sector copied). How do I configure this drive to replace the now 'missing' AD5?

Thanks

dodger
Starter
Starter

Post by dodger »

Have a read of this as it might help describe the steps you need to take to replace the drive

http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=do ... management

http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=faq:0058
NAS 1: Running 9.1.0.1.804 embedded (i386) 4GB CF Card | Pentium 4 2.66GHz | 1.5Gb RAM
Storage : 2 x Samsung 1TB | Software Raid1, 1 x Samsung 1TB USB External Backup (Rsync)
NAS 2: Running 9.1.0.1.804 embedded (i386) 4GB CF Card | AMD Athlon XP 2600+ | 1Gb RAM
Storage : 1 x Western Digital 40GB, 1 x Hitachi Deskstar 120GB External USB

bug2k13
NewUser
NewUser

Post by bug2k13 »

Thanks for that.

I realise I can add new disks to replace failed ones. My problem is that I have 2 failed disks. I have managed to clone one of the failed disks to a new drive, I need to be able to insert this into the array replacing the original without formatting the information on it.

I could use advice on how the system behaves when I remove for instance the 'missing' disk AD5 from the software raid5 volume and insert the new AD11 disk, will FreeNAS recognise this disk and data on it as an existing member of the array?

I don't have enough spare disks to be able to clone all 4 disks and 'try' out the options in case the existing data gets wiped.
If I can get the array into a 'degraded' state with 3 of the 4 drives online, I should be able to get all the data copied off and can start fresh.

Thanks

rostreich

Post by rostreich »

look here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2456

the post with the 'scary part' from al562

this should be exactly the same as your problem.

Return to “Software RAID”