*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

RAID1 "Stopped" after disk firmware update, but "working"

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Quarath
NewUser
NewUser

RAID1 "Stopped" after disk firmware update, but "working"

Post by Quarath »

Since i was getting "READ DMA" errors on one of the RAID1 disks I upgraded the disks firmware (suggested by SMART).
After the upgrade, nas4free booted, the mount point is working, but the RAID1 is "stopped".
The Diagnostics|Log shows:

Code: Select all

Feb 20 09:35:02	central	kernel: GEOM: ada0: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
Feb 20 09:35:02	central	kernel: GEOM: ada1: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
Feb 20 09:35:02	central	kernel: Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0 []...
Feb 20 09:35:02	central	kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Force device Central start due to timeout.
Feb 20 09:35:02	central	kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device Central destroyed.
Feb 20 09:35:02	central	kernel: GEOM: ada0: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
In Disks|Software RAID|RAID1|Management the "Size" is "Unknown" and Status ""Stopped".
In Disks|Mount Point|Management is "Status" "OK".
Is it that only one of the disks is used atm?
How to restore the RAID?

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: RAID1 "Stopped" after disk firmware update, but "working

Post by al562 »

Hi Quarath,

Welcome to the NAS4Free forum. Below is information you may find helpful.

Please read and follow the Forum Rules & Guidelines and the FAQs.
By doing so you will:
  • Understand what information you should provide when you ask a question or report a problem/bug. By providing all information upfront you will get faster and better answers; that's what you want right?
  • Find the answer to your problem in the FAQs or use the Advanced search to search the forum.
  • Help us understand your problem and allow us to provide an accurate answer/solution without asking additional questions.
  • Help the community by keeping the forum clean, focused and professional.
  • Remember to use WebGUI Tab> Help|Report Generator when creating new topics/threads.
  • If you have not, then please read the latest Setup & User Guide.
"READ DMA" errors are not typically caused by any firmware issues, they are usually caused by hardware issues. Mind you, I have no idea what disks you are using.
Quarath wrote:I upgraded the disks firmware
Did the manufacturer recommend doing this with a live disk, in use as part of a RAID?

If your data is good and accessible back it all up right now. Then:
  1. Unmount the array.
  2. Delete the array.
  3. Delete the disks.
  4. Test each disk with the manufacturer's diagnostic software. Make sure each disk passes a "long" or "full" test, replace a disk that does not.
  5. Update firmware if/as desired on any/all disks.
  6. Wipe/prepare the disks for use as per the FAQs.
  7. Add the disks.
  8. Create a new SoftRAID1 array.
  9. Format the array.
  10. Mount it.
  11. Restore your data from backup.
  12. Since it is not possible to know exactly what a firmware upgrade will do/cause, avoid them in the future unless the drives have no critical data on them.
I have never found it necessary to change a drives' firmware to fix errors in the past, never done it. Drives either work or they don't.

If you cannot access your data and do not have a backup we will have to do more troubleshooting. Please post here again if you have further questions about this issue.

Regards,
Al

Quarath
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Quarath »

Thanks for reply.
I will do better next time reporting :oops:
I had the RAID backed up, so it's no problem.
I just don't understant, how the mount point can work (at full speed and w/o errors) when the RAID is "stopped"?

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by al562 »

Hi Quarath,
Quarath wrote:I just don't understant, how the mount point can work (at full speed and w/o errors) when the RAID is "stopped"?
The WebGUI displays what has been configured/modified within it. It is possible to change things in shell/CLI which will not show up in the WebGUI. It is hard to say what happened without more information, but something changed in the array after the firmware update or possibly one of your drives is damaged (which may be what prompted the firmware update) and the metadata has been corrupted. It is then possible for the array to still function but the WebGUI to display an incorrect status. Since it is impossible for me to determine the exact state of the drives/data, the safest way to get everything working properly again is as outlined in my previous post.

Best of luck,
Al

Quarath
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Quarath »

Just a quick word - after the firmware upgrade the server is working non-stop w/o any SMART errors.

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by al562 »

Good to know thanks, I am working with someone else on a similar issue and it looks like jis will be fixed by upgrading the firmware too.
Did you ever manage to get the RAID back up and running??

Regards,
Al

Quarath
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Quarath »

I just followed your advice and restored the raid from backup I made just before the firmware upgrade.

Return to “Software RAID”