*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Attempt to replace RAID1 disk failed

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
shamroq
NewUser
NewUser

Attempt to replace RAID1 disk failed

Post by shamroq »

System Data:
NAS4Free 9.1.0.1 (revision 804) x86-embedded
DELL M07 Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz 1015MiB RAM

BCM4401 10/100 media interface bus=1 hubaddr=6 port=4 devaddr=4
interface=0 Intel 82801GB/R (ICH7) USB 2.0 controller bus=1 hubaddr=3
port=4 devaddr=3 interface=0 bus=1 hubaddr=1 port=4 devaddr=2
interface=0 Intel 82801G (ICH7) USB controller USB-A Intel 82801G
(ICH7) USB controller USB-B Intel 82801G (ICH7) USB controller USB-C
Intel 82801G (ICH7) USB controller USB-D
RAID configuration: two external usb-attached HDs in RAID1

Subject:
RAID1 Configuration No Longer Working

Description:
An attempt to swap in a new disk into the software array (using instructions here:
http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=faq:0059) failed at step 5 where it asks you to forget your array.
Those requests meet with the error "geom: No such device: HomeRAIDone".

Current disk screenshot: http://imgur.com/mqWz9Eh

Upgraded the system from 9.0.0.1 to 9.1.0.1.804 hoping to make use of the "Clear config and import disks", but that didn't help.

Now cannot even mount original functioning disk in software RAID as it isn't an option in Disks | Mount Point | Add.

I'm just not sure what the best way to proceed is at this point to get things back in working order.

Code: Select all

"geom: No such device: HomeRAIDone."

vegas316
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Attempt to replace RAID1 disk failed

Post by vegas316 »

Hi Shamroq,

I was fighting through this last night. You can read the sticky thread viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2890 and it might help. What I ended up having to do was delete the raid configuration from Disks -> SoftwareRaid. However when I tried to reimport the raid disks (From Disks -> Management) nothing showed up in the Software Raid part. So I ended up just manually redefining the raid, with the exact same name, and the original disks.

After this, it showed up as degraded (but it was accessible, which was good), and then I just needed to forget and then insert the second disk to the array.

HTH.

shamroq
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Attempt to replace RAID1 disk failed

Post by shamroq »

vegas316 wrote:Hi Shamroq,

I was fighting through this last night. You can read the sticky thread viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2890 and it might help. ...
HTH.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. Unfortunately, I just recently decided that I just didn't have the time to tinker with my NAS solution quite so much and am going to buy a more commoditized solution. Again, I really appreciate the support and apologize for not closing this out earlier.

Return to “Software RAID”