*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

replacing a disk on a raid 10

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
vegas316
NewUser
NewUser

replacing a disk on a raid 10

Post by vegas316 »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to replace a disk on a RAID 10. the problem I have is, as soon as i pull out the old disk and insert the new one, I can't get it to appear in the drop list for the raid 1.

I have tried to follow the instructions here: http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=faq:0059 but once I deactivate the Raid, NAS4Free crashes, reboots, then the raid 1 is stopped, and is not recoverable. (This also trashes the raid 0, and requires me to rebuild the RAID 10 from scratch from my backup.) The only way I can add the newly inserted disk to the raid 1 is to delete the raid altogether from the Disks -> Software RAID screen.

I keep seeing everyone say how easy it is and that the new disk should rebuild automagically, but this doesn't seem to happen for me. What am I missing? can someone explain the procedure? I have searched everywhere but cannot seem to find anyone asking this question on any forum...

Would converting to a ZVS type RAID provide any benefit?

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: replacing a disk on a raid 10

Post by raulfg3 »

sorry , not enought knoledge to help on Raid
vegas316 wrote:Would converting to a ZVS type RAID provide any benefit?
is not possible, only option is destroy actual raid and create a raid10 in ZFS ( in ZFS you need to create 2 mirror vdev and then add this 2 vdev to a big pool.

And yes you have benefit to do this change, First is more and better support in forum, because ZFS is the FS used for a great mayority of users and RAID (GEOM Raid ) are not recommended in forum.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

vegas316
NewUser
NewUser

Post by vegas316 »

Is there any benefit in terms of being able to replace disks easily without destroying the raid?

vegas316
NewUser
NewUser

Post by vegas316 »

Also, has anyone replaced a disk on a raid 10 easily? Can anyone give me some pointers?

vegas316
NewUser
NewUser

Post by vegas316 »

Hi Guys,

I hit upon the solution, if anyone else is having this problem. Steps below:

How to replace a disk in a RAID 10
-------------------------------------------------
1) Shutdown the NAS
2) Insert new disk
3) format disk to softraid
4) Go to the degraded array under Disks|Software RAID|RAID1|Management, and delete the array (ignore the warning)
5) Apply changes
6) Manually recreate the Array you just deleted, this time adding the second disk
7) Under Disks|Software RAID|RAID1|Tools, select the array you just built
8) Select the disk you just added
9) Forget the disk
10) insert the disk
11) Done!!!

If you run the status on your new array, it should be SYNCHRONIZING.

Hope this helps someone!

billb1
NewUser
NewUser

Post by billb1 »

My noob process (which may not be right - BUT it and the NAS works!)
I'm 1 year into a NAS4Free NAS rebuild (using (4) 2TB green caviar 5 y/o FreeNAS disks) and this worked for 2 disk replacements.

1. ID the bad disk on the degraded array (I get email status that tells me one of the GEOM mirrors is degraded)
Go to Status|Disks and ID the disk with the very low I/O statistics (ada3 in my case)
2. Shut down NAS
3. Physically replace the disk (same size and specs) and restart
4. Back in the webGUI, go to Disks|Management and you'll see all kinds of red horror about a disk not being what the system thought
5. Hit "clear config and import disks" and the confusion will go away and the new disk will be recognized
6. Go to Disks|Software RAID|RAID1|Tools, select the new disk (e.g. ada3),
send the [forget] command,
and then send the [insert] command
7. done... I think. The new disk start sync'ing with the mirror and the NAS works.

So...
• Not sure how vegas316 could "3) format the disk" without unraveling the RAIDs first and I've been hesitant to ignore the "your data will DIE "warning when recommending to "4) ...delete the array". This 1 mirror is 1/2 of my 0 Stripe.
• I don't un-mount and deactivate all the raids to format the disk, so they show up as "unknown or unformatted" but again the NAS works

I also hope this helps. I registered for this forum just to share and hope more RAID10 types to add their stories and advice.

Bill

billb1
NewUser
NewUser

Post by billb1 »

Also - the 1 mirror will still show "degraded" but go to Disks|Software RAID|RAID1|Tools, select the Raid and disk and send the [status] command and you'll see the SYNCHRONIZING status - here's mine at 40% about 1 hour after a 2TB drive replacement

Name Status Components
mirror/Mirror2 DEGRADED ada1 (ACTIVE)
ada3 (SYNCHRONIZING, 40%)

Bill

Return to “Software RAID”