*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Trouble creating raid1

Software RAID information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
paulj
Starter
Starter

Trouble creating raid1

Post by paulj »

I am having a difficult time creating a raid 1 (not ZFS) in my first NAS box (GA-H97N-wifi, Intel i3, 8GB memory).

Upon creating a Softraid volume ( went thru the steps in the wiki) the process hangs. When I check the log I see:

"root: gmirror: Can't store metadata on /dev/ada1: Operation not permitted." the other drive at ada2 appears normal.

I have repeatedly wiped both drives (WD Green 1TB) using the script on the wiki and a similar one I found on the FreeBSD boards. NADA. The raid initialization never finishes. I assume the problem is the drive, even though it seemed to work OK as a single drive.

One of the drives is brand new, the other about 6 months old - had xbmc media files on it but wiped. I don't know which drive is malfunctioning because I didn't think to mark them before I put them into the raid. Also, the newer drive would not format on a Mac when connected in a USB3 external case but worked fine as USB2.

I have ordered two new, fresh WH 1TB Red drives for the raid1 but I would like to know why the drive won't format as a raid drive, or is this a common occurrence with consumer-grade WD drives.

PS I didn't try ZFS because I've read that ZFS shouldn't be used without ECC ram, which isn't compatible with my motherboard.
Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 6315)
Supermicro A1SRi x64-full on Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2758 @ 2.40GHz 16GB ECC memory
ZFS on Root Install

b0ssman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Trouble creating raid1

Post by b0ssman »

please post the smart values of both drives.
Nas4Free 11.1.0.4.4517. Supermicro X10SLL-F, 16gb ECC, i3 4130, IBM M1015 with IT firmware. 4x 3tb WD Red, 4x 2TB Samsung F4, both GEOM AES 256 encrypted.

paulj
Starter
Starter

Re: Trouble creating raid1

Post by paulj »

"please post the smart values of both drives."

Sorry, I didn't have SMART enabled, and I have already replaced the drives with the new WD reds and created the raid1, which went seamlessly.

I will mount the old drives in spare bays and enable SMART tomorrow to see what readings I get and post them.

Thanks for the reply.
Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 6315)
Supermicro A1SRi x64-full on Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2758 @ 2.40GHz 16GB ECC memory
ZFS on Root Install

Return to “Software RAID”