Latest News:
2018-11-29: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6229 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS cost money, please consider a donation to our project so we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

I'm feeling dumb here, how do you wipe/erase a pool completely?

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
scifimike12
NewUser
NewUser

I'm feeling dumb here, how do you wipe/erase a pool completely?

Post by scifimike12 » 07 Dec 2018 02:37

I went in the GUI and selected my pool (Media in this case) and selected destroy pool using the -f command. It successfully went through but I still have the virtual device that was part of it showing up in Disk → ZFS → Virtual Device and also in Management. I cannot create another pool using the same disks despite HDD Management showing "unknown or unformatted". HDD Format doesn't list them.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Re: I'm feeling dumb here, how do you wipe/erase a pool completely?

Post by ms49434 » 07 Dec 2018 13:30

Goto Disks > Management > HDD Management, check box next to "Clear configuration information before importing disks." and click on the Import button in the Import Disk section.

then

Goto Disks > ZFS > Configuration > Synchronize and click on button Synchronize to update the configuration.
1) XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, SLOG: Samsung 850 Pro, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro, Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB , services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 1x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

scifimike12
NewUser
NewUser

Post by scifimike12 » 07 Dec 2018 20:00

Tried that and under ZFS → Pools → Management my Pool and Virtual Device still remain. Clicking Apply Changes does nothing, just reports that the pool cannot be found and still shows that message you see "You must apply the changes in order for them to take effect". HDD Format shows no available drives to format despite them saying unformatted. I also tried restoring to factory defaults which helped me make a new ZFS RAIDZ1, pool, and virtual device. But the moment I tried destroying the pool it went back to the same buggy messages that won't go away until I do another restore configuration to factory defaults.
Untitled.png
Untitled2.png
Untitled3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 » 07 Dec 2018 20:32

1. Reboot your box to get rid of the 'apply changes' message.
2. Goto Disks > Management > HDD Management, check box next to "Clear configuration information before importing disks." and click on the Import button in the Import Disk section.
3. Goto Disks > ZFS > Configuration > Synchronize and click on button Synchronize to update the configuration.

If pools, vdevs and/or datasets/volumes are still listed at this point would indicate that the pool wasn't deleted and I would like to ask you to post the output of Disks > ZFS > Pools > Information.
1) XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, SLOG: Samsung 850 Pro, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro, Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB , services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 1x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

scifimike12
NewUser
NewUser

Post by scifimike12 » 08 Dec 2018 22:07

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but still having issues deleting the leftover pool or virtual device. I rebooted the system, did the "Clear configuration information before importing disks", and yet the pool and virtual device are still present. If I select the pool and click delete it keeps asking to click Apply. But when I click apply nothing happens.

I checked the logs and it shows this:

Code: Select all

root: zpool destroy 'Pool1'
root: cannot open 'Pool1': no such pool
I also cannot create a new pool with the same HDDs, shows "Unknown or unformatted" but under HDD Format they aren't listed for me to format them as ZFS Storage Pool.

I have to do another reset to factory defaults in order to reformat them.

cookiemonster
experienced User
experienced User

Post by cookiemonster » 10 Dec 2018 00:08

Can you to post the output of Disks > ZFS > Pools > Information.
And also look for any messages in the log immediately after the attempt to apply changes and the attempt of the action that can't be applied: Diagnostics > Log

scifimike12
NewUser
NewUser

Post by scifimike12 » 10 Dec 2018 19:49

This is what it shows under ZFS → Pools → Information:

And this is what happens if I try deleting the pool and clicking Apply.

Return to “ZFS (only!)”