*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Recommendations for migrating Raid-Z arrays

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
cchayre

Recommendations for migrating Raid-Z arrays

Post by cchayre » 15 Jan 2013 19:15

I am looking for recommendations and/our thoughts on migrating RAID-Z arrays from one host to another. I currently have two NAS'es (both running NAS4Free) built and want to swap the drives in each. Would it be appropriate just to export/import from one box to another? Also worth noting that I'm not married to the configuration on either box. If appropriate or recommended, I'm willing to flip the the flash drive I'm booting from and reconfig'ing.

Interested in getting some perspective from others on the best way to tackle this. My main interest is doing this in the safest, most stable manner to ensure data integrity.

Thanks!
Chris

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Recommendations for migrating Raid-Z arrays

Post by fsbruva » 15 Jan 2013 21:41

Couple questions to help us answer the question.

What do you mean swap? Do you just mean move all drives from NAS A to NAS B, and vice versa? Do you have data on either pool that you want to keep? What is the purpose of the disk move?

cchayre

Post by cchayre » 16 Jan 2013 01:27

fsbruva wrote:Couple questions to help us answer the question.

What do you mean swap? Do you just mean move all drives from NAS A to NAS B, and vice versa? Do you have data on either pool that you want to keep? What is the purpose of the disk move?
Precisely---I want to move all drives from NAS A to NAS B. The data on both arrays are identical and should be kept. NAS A = the primary NAS I intend to use. NAS B is a box I built for offsite redundancy and DR purposes. I recently purchased new drives of much higher quality, placed them in NAS B, and replicated the data between NAS A and B. Now I'd very much like to use the disks from NAS B in NAS A because they are of higher quality.

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva » 16 Jan 2013 14:39

Your initial insight is correct. The easiest way to do this is to export the pool(s) from each NAS. Then, move the better drives (currently in NAS B) into the case of NAS A, and boot up. You will then import the pool. The importation of the pool will also allow you to rename the pool, if you so desire. Following the importation, run a scrub, and you're off! Then put the drives recently removed from NAS A into the NAS B case. Import the pool, and do a scrub. All is well!
Since you recently added drives, you should have some extra(s) laying around? If the drives that will end up in NAS B are genuinely of lower quality, I would also recommend adding one or two of your extras into the pool as a spare. This way, the pool can more quickly react to a failing disk.

Return to “ZFS (only!)”