*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

zfs scrubbing

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
jfabernathy
Starter
Starter

zfs scrubbing

Post by jfabernathy » 10 Jul 2012 14:34

I'm looking to build a new NAS. My current one is running FreeNAS 7.2 with 2 2TB in a UFS mirror. It works fine, but I'm concerned about the old photos I put there and have not read is years. Are they still there??

So with the new system, I'm considering NAS4free with ZFS. Mirroring was my first thought because it would be easier to recover. Plus each hard drive would be completely usable in another system on a rebuild (I think)

However, I didn't know if NAS4free supported background scrubbing or patroling with just a ZFS mirror. Does it??

Jim A

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: zfs scrubbing

Post by raulfg3 » 11 Jul 2012 09:50

YES, you only need to use ZFS mirror instead RAID Mirror and UFS.

The safe way is copy/ your data to a backup storage, install Nas4Free from scrach, delete all metadata on your 2TB disk to avoid problems when create ZFS mirror, and create a ZFS Mirror, next copy your previosly backup data to new locatio.

PD: allways is more safe to havE a backup in other machine/site that have all your data in only one site ( neverless that you have data in mirror)
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

jfabernathy
Starter
Starter

Post by jfabernathy » 12 Jul 2012 12:21

I setup a test ZFS Mirror and am playing with it. It looks like the scubbing is a manual command that you can send under the ZFS tools. I have loaded up a few GBs of files and tested the scrub function. Obviously no errors found at this point. Is there any automated scrubbing setup by default or do I need a cron job to run 'zpool scrub <pool name>'?

Jim A

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 12 Jul 2012 12:27

You must use cron to do a manual scrub a month or so, but you can configure Nas4Free to send you a e-mail if ZFS detect corruption of some files, so normally in home enviroment is not necesary to do periodic scrub, only if ZFS detect somethings wrong.

PD: Be aware that scrubing is a high CPU usage and Disk intensive, so do a diary srubbing it's NOT recomended due you can "broke" your disk.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

jfabernathy
Starter
Starter

Post by jfabernathy » 13 Jul 2012 15:22

Thanks for the advice on scrubbing. You mention configuring Nas4Free to send an email if ZFS detects corruption. I have my NAS configured for email reports weekly and on UPS detection of going on battery, but I didn't see a place to configure alert emails in realtime for ZFS. Can you tell me where to look?

Jim A

Return to “ZFS (only!)”