*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Imported old pool... now what?

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
rocket
Starter
Starter

Imported old pool... now what?

Post by rocket » 25 Jun 2012 04:46

bit of background, I built two servers two years ago to run my home backups. the main one was running freenas 7, the second one I had running openSolaris because it had a newer version of ZFS. The opensolaris server just rsynced my freenas 7 server every night. double data backup. perfect.

Now openSolaris has gone the way of the Norwegian Blue, and I saw that Nas4Free had picked up where freenas 7 left off, with a new version of BSD with an even more up-to-date ZFS, YAY!

So, I am a little rusty at this, as I haven't had to do anything with either NAS for two years, so:

I've done a full install of nas4free on a new drive (9.0.0.1 - Sandstorm (revision 139)) then:
- added my drives under Disks->Management
- in the command line, ran zpool import -f main
- synchronized in Disks->ZFS->Configuration->Synchronize, leaving snapshots and importing disks used into configuration
- started a scrub in Disks->ZFS->Pools->Tools

So far all seems well:

Code: Select all

pool: main
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
	still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
	pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
 scan: scrub in progress since Sun Jun 24 10:06:57 2012
    1.26T scanned out of 5.53T at 39.9M/s, 31h15m to go
    0 repaired, 22.70% done
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	main        ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2p1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada1p1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada5p1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada3p1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada4p1  ONLINE       0     0     0
I also noticed that in Disks->ZFS->Pools->Management, it shows "The configuration has been changed.
You must apply the changes in order for them to take effect."
I tried applying the changes, and got this error: "Error: The changes could not be applied (error code 1)."

Can I not apply the configuration until after I upgrade the zpool? Not sure I want to do that just yet, as my only other option at that point would be a full freeBSD install to manage the data if Nas4Free doesn't work out.

So, my questions:
- have I done all the right steps to import my pool save upgrading it?
- why the error in the management tab?
- do I need to add any volumes (rusty here, cannot remember) as there are none showing.

I haven't tried setting AFP/NFS exports yet on the new machine, but when I ssh in, I do see my data. WOO!

-rocket gal.
older system:
Platform x64-full on AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor
System ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785T-M Bios: 2002 03/18/2010
10tb pool

shiny new system:
Platform x64-embedded on Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
System ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D-E LX
12gb RAM
running 11.20.4 - Omnius (revision 6766)

60tb, 15tb, and 10tb pools

rocketgirls know how to have fun

drinny
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Imported old pool... now what?

Post by drinny » 25 Jun 2012 05:03

Given that you can see your data, I would say things went just fine. When I upgraded from FreeNAS 7 to NAS4Free, I didn't even export my pool first. I just shutdown with FreeNAS and booted into NAS4Free and everything just showed up.

I've gotten the "error code 1" message a few times when using FreeNAS in the past. I'm not sure what, exactly, causes it but a reboot has usually fixed it for me. I would suggest giving that a try.

Despite running NAS4Free for quite a while now, I still haven't upgraded my zpool. I don't really require any of the feature of ZFS that they've added since version 13, so didn't see the need to upgrade. I'll do it eventually once I'm 100% sure that I'm happy with NAS4Free (I don't know why I wouldn't be). For now, it's nice to have options to go back to older versions of things just in case. :)

rocket
Starter
Starter

Post by rocket » 25 Jun 2012 07:52

heh. yeah, tried rebooting twice, still see the "The configuration has been changed.
You must apply the changes in order for them to take effect." message each time in the zfs tab.

error, too.
older system:
Platform x64-full on AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor
System ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785T-M Bios: 2002 03/18/2010
10tb pool

shiny new system:
Platform x64-embedded on Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
System ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D-E LX
12gb RAM
running 11.20.4 - Omnius (revision 6766)

60tb, 15tb, and 10tb pools

rocketgirls know how to have fun

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 29 Jun 2012 14:29

Do not upgrade ZFS to ver28 untill you are totally sure that NAs4Free is what you want because Upgrade of ZFS is a one way action and can't be reverted.
rocket wrote:Error: The changes could not be applied (error code 1)
is an ancient error that occurr in FreeNAS and in NAS4Free too, the reason : I don't know, personally I think that some old metadata is still present on first or last sector of disk in your pool and code write to aply the changes and sync real data with WebGUI do not recognize.

Your box can work without problems, so you have two options:
1- live with this error and don't touch your box
2- use a workarround thats work for me, but you need to save your data because workarround is to delete first and last sector on disk and install from scratch

I coment this workarround in this post: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=195&p=516&hilit=+eror+code+#p516
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

Return to “ZFS (only!)”