*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

re-setting a single formatted disk

Encrypting information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
WestPoleCharlie
NewUser
NewUser

re-setting a single formatted disk

Post by WestPoleCharlie » 21 Mar 2016 08:58

Hi all :)

So I had a single encrypted disk in my nas4free server and whenever I had a problem with it, due to e.g. home router crashing and the mounted drive not being dismounted nicely, I just did mount point > fsck on it and that usually fixed it.

But the other night, the browser running fsck crashed and nothing could bring back the drive. No problem, I had a backup to restore to a laptop.

So today I tried to recreate the encrypted disk - delete the share name, delete the mount point, delete the disk itself from the disk management panel and then follow the instructions in
http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=do ... encryption

as if the disk was newly installed.

So I disk management > add the disk, go to Disks > Encryption > management and I can see the disk is attached.

Then I go to Disks > Format and it wants a volume label - no value is automatically put there and putting in the disk name (ada5) gives me errors like

Device not configured

Created UFS file system:
dumpfs: /dev/ada5.elip1: could not find special device

and I can't get to giving it a mount point or recreating the share or anything :(

What am I doing wrong ?

GregMcM
NewUser
NewUser

Re: re-setting a single formatted disk

Post by GregMcM » 30 Apr 2016 03:39

Then I go to Disks > Format and it wants a volume label - no value is automatically put there and putting in the disk name (ada5) gives me errors like
You don't actually need a volume label, it's optional. And, I'm not too sure, but I don't think that using 'ada5' as your volume label may be too good of an idea. I don't have any specifics why, but it just gives me a weird feeling.

Anyway, I just tried what you described on my setup that I've been testing on and it works for me (using 'ada5' as the volume label on my device ada5), so I don't have anything further to add, sorry. :|

Return to “Encryption”