*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

How can I detach an encrypted drive?

Encrypting information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
GregMcM
NewUser
NewUser

How can I detach an encrypted drive?

Post by GregMcM » 30 Apr 2016 03:22

Hello,
I have a small array of 4 encrypted drives in a RaidZ1 pool along with another array of 10 other unencrypted drives in a separate RaidZ2 pool that I've been doing tests on prior to deploying. Everything is erasable, so I don't have to worry about losing any data at this point. I just want to get all of my "proverbial-ducks-in-a-row" before I deploy it.

I've been using NAS4Free 10.2.0.2.2545 for all of this - if I need to post my hardware spec's, I'll have to go looking for those as this setup has been sitting on my bench for the past 6 months waiting for me to get around to it.

I would like to be able deactivate/unmount the 4 encrypted drives when I am not actively using them. Is there any way of deactivating(?) the encrypted drives without having to reboot the entire NAS?

And by 'deactivating/unmounting' them, I mean that to be able to use the drives again, I would have to go through the sequence of re-attaching them individually using their passphrases.

If I go to Disks | Encryption | Tools and attempt to issue a 'detach' command to the drive, I get:
geli: Cannot destroy device ada0.eli (error=16).

Obviously, geli won't detach the disk because it sees the disk as in use. So, does anyone have any thoughts as to how I could take the ZFS Pool offline and then detach the encrypted disks?

As a test, I did even destroy & delete all of the ZFS info (Datasets, Pools & Virtual Devices) and then attempted to issue the detach command, but I keep on getting the same error 16 as above.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. :mrgreen:

willieaames
NewUser
NewUser

Re: How can I detach an encrypted drive?

Post by willieaames » 23 Jun 2016 09:05

Depending on your environment, you could also look into using Bitlocker for mobile drives.

b0ssman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How can I detach an encrypted drive?

Post by b0ssman » 23 Jun 2016 12:13

you would have to stop any service that is accessing the disk like samba.
then umount the zfs pool. (no open file handles can exist)
then you can do a geli detach of all the drives.
Nas4Free 11.1.0.4.4517. Supermicro X10SLL-F, 16gb ECC, i3 4130, IBM M1015 with IT firmware. 4x 3tb WD Red, 4x 2TB Samsung F4, both GEOM AES 256 encrypted.

Return to “Encryption”