*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Encryption and ZFS

Encrypting information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
mentor
NewUser
NewUser

Encryption and ZFS

Post by mentor »

I have installed a NAS4Free on a VM, and as recommended, i installed it on a 1GB virtual disk, and assigned another disk 500GB to this VM for file storage.
I have created the disk, encrypted it, created a ZFS virtual disk, and then a ZFS storage pool. Everything was working. On every restart of this VM i needed to go on and mount the encrypted drive.
Recently i upgraded the host machine, and now i cant mount or make it work. I have tried removing everything and setting up from scratch everything, (with the exception of formating the disk i have used an encrypted one without formating it).
Any suggestion on how can i at least get back my data, can i mount somehow the encrypted drive even in another utility, just need to get back the data that were on it.
The following appears in the ZFS Storage Pool, and the mounted disk does not appear anywhere: Name: StoragePool; Size: Unknown; Used: Unknown; Free: Unknown; Capacity: Unknown; Dedup: Unknown; Health: Unknown; AltRoot: Unknown

daoyama
Developer
Developer

Re: Encryption and ZFS

Post by daoyama »

mentor wrote:I have created the disk, encrypted it, created a ZFS virtual disk, and then a ZFS storage pool.
In your case, you should get snapshot of VM. Then try following from shell.

# geli load
# geli dump /dev/adaX (or /dev/daX)

If you don't know the disk, try it for all disks. If you encrypted before, dump show meta info of encryption.
If you encrypted RAID disks, try to find like /dev/mirror/XXX or /dev/raid5/XXX.

Finally, attach it to the system. (need password)

# geli attach /dev/adaX

Regards,
Daisuke Aoyama
NAS4Free 10.2.0.2.2115 (x64-embedded), 10.2.0.2.2258 (arm), 10.2.0.2.2258(dom0)
GIGABYTE 5YASV-RH, Celeron E3400 (Dual 2.6GHz), ECC 8GB, Intel ET/CT/82566DM (on-board), ZFS mirror (2TBx2)
ASRock E350M1/USB3, 16GB, Realtek 8111E (on-board), ZFS mirror (2TBx2)
MSI MS-9666, Core i7-860(Quad 2.8GHz/HT), 32GB, Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN/Intel 82578DM (on-board), ZFS mirror (3TBx2+L2ARC/ZIL:SSD128GB)
Develop/test environment:
VirtualBox 512MB VM, ESXi 512MB-8GB VM, Raspberry Pi, Pi2, ODROID-C1

mentor
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mentor »

daoyama wrote:
mentor wrote:I have created the disk, encrypted it, created a ZFS virtual disk, and then a ZFS storage pool.
In your case, you should get snapshot of VM. Then try following from shell.

# geli load
# geli dump /dev/adaX (or /dev/daX)

If you don't know the disk, try it for all disks. If you encrypted before, dump show meta info of encryption.
If you encrypted RAID disks, try to find like /dev/mirror/XXX or /dev/raid5/XXX.

Finally, attach it to the system. (need password)

# geli attach /dev/adaX

Regards,
Daisuke Aoyama
I'm not having a problem attaching it, i'm having a problem establishing the ZFS Pool, the following is displayed at the Storage Pool:
Name: StoragePool; Size: Unknown; Used: Unknown; Free: Unknown; Capacity: Unknown; Dedup: Unknown; Health: Unknown; AltRoot: Unknown

When i'm creating the Storage Pool i'm receiving Error Code 1, but i've seen somewhere that it's just a UI bug.
Thank you for your support :)

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

Try to delete /var/db/updatenotify.db

see: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=261
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

mentor
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mentor »

raulfg3 wrote:Try to delete /var/db/updatenotify.db

see: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=261
The moment that i remove it through UI or command line it gets recreated again! It takes a very long time to access zfs pool. But i'm having the same problem with it, as you can see in my posted above, every info is unknown.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1271 perhaps helps you.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

mentor
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mentor »

raulfg3 wrote:see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1271 perhaps helps you.
Thank you very very much, this one fixed my problem, i owe you one :D

Return to “Encryption”