*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Errors on mounting a newly encrypted disk

Encrypting information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
jistme

Errors on mounting a newly encrypted disk

Post by jistme » 06 Feb 2013 21:10

I have been trying to add a harrddisk, and run it encrypted.

Yet I keep running in problems getting it up and running.

I am at the point where I have added it, formatted it, encrypted it, and attached it.
Showing:
Disks | Management the disk shows correctly under ada4, File system: Encrypted, Status: Online.
Disks | Encryption | Management it says: Data integrity: None, Encryption AES, Status: Attached.

I assume the next step is using Mount Point, but at trying that I get:

The following input errors were detected:

Wrong partition type or partition number.
/dev/ada4.elip1: Can't get UFS ID.
dumpfs: /dev/ada4.elip1: could not find special device

Maybe I'm using the wrong order in doing things? Or I missed an important step?
Is there a clear step-by-step tutorial to be found on this somewhere?
I did find a short tutorial on adding a harddisk, and also a short one on encrypting a disk, but putting them together yet didn't make it a very elaborate or complete tutorial.

Tia!

Ps, maybe a factor:
Until a few days before I had this same disk running well (also encrypted) on my current NAS4Free installation, while it had been encrypted under FreeNAS 7 a few years before.
This problem arose after having it removed, zero-written and reformatted on a Windows PC (needed it there shortly), and then putting it back in NAS4Free, and prepared it as explained above.
I found NAS4Free (of course) had some saved settings and serial number etc. about this disk, but I think(...) I removed that.
Yet I thought to mention this in case...

Any hints or suggestions?

rostreich

Re: Errors on mounting a newly encrypted disk

Post by rostreich » 06 Feb 2013 21:20

Code: Select all

I am at the point where I have added it, formatted it, encrypted it, and attached it.
Wrong! ;) True crypt works other way round, I did the same error in my beginnings. :D

Kick out everything and start again from adding disk.

1.) Add disk or disks
2.) Encrypt (this writes encryption directly on disk and it's shown als *.eli device)
3.) Format your created *.eli device (you see, the filesystem goes on top of encryption)
4.) Give mountpoint

Thats the easy version.

For Raid:

1.) Add disk or disks
2.) Encrypt (this writes encryption directly on disk and it's shown als *.eli device)
3.) Format all disks as Software Raid
4.) Create Software Raid -> you'll get a Raid device
5.) Format the Raid Device as UFS
6.) Give mountpoint

Works the same for ZFS, but remember that everytime you reboot, you have to enter the password for every disk! With UFS your shares are available immediately, for ZFS you have to click on ZFS->Configuration->Import pool config from disks

jistme

Post by jistme » 06 Feb 2013 21:38

rostreich wrote:

Code: Select all

Wrong! ;) True crypt works other way round, I did the same error in my beginnings. :D

Kick out everything and start again from adding disk.

1.) Add disk or disks
3.) Format your created *.eli device (you see, the filesystem goes on top of encryption)
4.) Give mountpoint

Thats the easy version.
Wow, you're fast :-)

I think I did it in that sequence before (and now once again to be sure), but then at trying to Mountpoint I get the error:

Command output:
geli: Cannot access ada4 (error=1).
Mounting device.
Failed.

--------------------

Update,
Rebooted NAS4Free, and all seems well now...
Thnx!

jistme

Post by jistme » 06 Feb 2013 22:03

So this short tutorial is incorrect:
http://blog.gambliser.com/2012/08/how-t ... ee-server/

rostreich

Post by rostreich » 06 Feb 2013 22:22

jistme wrote:So this short tutorial is incorrect:
http://blog.gambliser.com/2012/08/how-t ... ee-server/
No, it is the correct way. :shock: This shows only the encryption part.

Erm....

Step 1 - > disks->management->click on '+'->choose device->Preformatted file system->choose unformated->save-> apply (thats what I meant with disk adding)
Now proceed with enryption step.

I suggest before that you kick out every disk in management first, apply and then add the disks again

not so fast this time :)

jistme

Post by jistme » 06 Feb 2013 22:30

My problem is solved thanks to you, but even though I might indeed be a little bit too impatient, the tutorial really has got it the wrong way round?

It says:
"Before you continue with this tutorial, it is good practice to read how to add new disk to NAS4Free Server. Make sure the new disk is recognized and formatted using Format menu on NAS4Free.

So it tells you to format before encrypting, and it doesn't say you'll have to format after encrypting.

rostreich

Post by rostreich » 06 Feb 2013 22:42

Have fun! ;)

You're right. This is wrong...so...trust only our tutorials here. :D

Return to “Encryption”