*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Plausible deniability ?

Encrypting information and help
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
petshopguy
NewUser
NewUser

Plausible deniability ?

Post by petshopguy » 28 Dec 2013 22:23

Hello all,

I have been using NAS4Free for a time now with a RAID5 setup using encryption and formatted with ufs. I'm using the embedded mode on an USB flash drive and it woks really great, it really rocks! :D
The case is I'd like to know, in case that USB flash drive is missing, if someone (a security forensics expert for example) can tell if the hard drives contains encrypted data, or if is really impossible to discern from wiped/new hard drives without the USB flash drive. Like some kind of plausible deniability. Is this possible?
"My old PC taught me patience, self control, and that I cannot have all things I want."

kenZ71
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Plausible deniability ?

Post by kenZ71 » 29 Dec 2013 02:16

Good question.

Got to wonder what your are storing that you have these concerns :)

Having a complete system with cables leading to it but no OS would be suspect I would think regardless what the drives look like.
11.2-RELEASE-p3 | ZFS Mirror - 2 x 8TB WD Red | 28GB ECC Ram
HP ML10v2 x64-embedded on Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz

Extra memory so I can host a couple VMs
1) Unifi Controller on Ubuntu
2) Librenms on Ubuntu

petshopguy
NewUser
NewUser

Post by petshopguy » 31 Dec 2013 23:07

kenZ71 wrote:Good question.

Got to wonder what your are storing that you have these concerns :)

Having a complete system with cables leading to it but no OS would be suspect I would think regardless what the drives look like.
Is not for me (they always say that, right? ;) ) but for a customer that have fears about their company's data, corporate espionage, and being forced somehow to reveal data. I think, at least IMHO, that a machine containing disks with no OS or partitions whatsoever can pass as a machine pending for installation, service, or testing. Problem is, no binary pattern can be detected on the surface of hard drives for that assumption to work.

Some time ago I tested this running some tool to see the first sectors of any hard drive and don't see anything easily recognizable, but I'm no security expert and would like to hear from one, from a project's developer or from anyone closer to the source code and encryption.
"My old PC taught me patience, self control, and that I cannot have all things I want."

coatmaker618
NewUser
NewUser

Post by coatmaker618 » 14 May 2014 15:51

*bump*

I know this is almost 6 months old but TrueCrypt offers a form of this. It allows you to have 2 datasets in a single encrypted blob. One of these sets is your private data, the other is your "show" data. This means depending on how you login, you either see your private files or the "show" files. So if you're forced to login (say by someone with a gun to your head) you can login without risking them seeing anything that isn't pre-approved.

I don't know if there's anything like in NAS4Free but it might be worth looking at 3rd party services?

Return to “Encryption”