*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

[EXTENSION] Plex Media Server

XigmaNAS Extensions / Add-ons

Moderator: crest

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
nasrocks
Starter
Starter

Re: [EXTENSION] Plex Media Server

Post by nasrocks »

Hello Jose

I think the problem is the encoding. I did another fresh embeded install.
Did a complete fresh install of Plex.

Had everything working great for quite some time. Was able to run 3 video files transcoding at the same time and then it failed again with a similar error.

Before I push the system hard I tried to use another directory as per Plex for transcoding but it seemed it could not find it.
Please see the attached picture. Should have this worked?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

revise the paht I see two dots, better copy & paste to avoid type problems
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

nasrocks
Starter
Starter

Post by nasrocks »

Hello Raul

It is an underscore

/mnt/Xigmanas/XTENSIONS/transcoding_dir

It was a direct copy. I just tried without the leading /

Should this work?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

nasrocks wrote:
19 Jun 2020 18:47
Hello Raul

It is an underscore

/mnt/Xigmanas/XTENSIONS/transcoding_dir

It was a direct copy. I just tried without the leading /

Should this work?
Hello, I'm pretty sure that leaving that "Transcoding temporary directory" field empty on the Plex app will always default to the extension install location, however if you still want Plex to transcode there, make sure the directory does exist and that Plex has permissions to write to it, if so just run the following commands(case sensitive and spaces not recommended):

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /mnt/Xigmanas/XTENSIONS/transcoding_dir
chown plex:plex /mnt/Xigmanas/XTENSIONS/transcoding_dir
The above assumes that this directory "/mnt/Xigmanas/XTENSIONS/transcoding_dir" actually resides in a dedicated ZFS pool and/or UFS DATA/RAID disk/volume/mountpoint, otherwise it will end up filling up the Embedded system mdX.

After this if the problem still persist, you have some mis-configuration causing your Embedded platform memory disk(mdX) being filled, unfortunately I don't have the time ATM to drive you to a deep trouble shooting and proper setup, but you may get more luck by creating a new thread in the proper forum section and provide there your system full specs followed by the output for any of the following commands `df -h`, `zpool list`, `zfs list` your extensions install path and alike, pretty sure active forum users may help you track-down what is filling-up your /var and/or /tmp memory disks.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

simbeav
NewUser
NewUser

Post by simbeav »

I wonder if anybody can help

I've istalled using the latest flex tarball, but whenI enable and start I get the error "Plex Media Server startup failed."

In the log it shows

admin: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver: WARNING: failed to start plexmediaserver
admin: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver: WARNING: failed to start plexmediaserver
admin: install: unknown user plex install: unknown user plex install: unknown user plex su: unknown login: plex /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver: WARNING: failed to start plexmediaserver

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong ?
thanks Simon

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

simbeav wrote:
02 Jul 2020 22:56
I wonder if anybody can help

I've istalled using the latest flex tarball, but whenI enable and start I get the error "Plex Media Server startup failed."

In the log it shows

admin: install: unknown user plex install: unknown user plex install: unknown user plex su: unknown login: plex /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver: WARNING: failed to start plexmediaserver

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong ?
thanks Simon
Hello and welcome, please provide more info about your system, RAM/CPU, what XigmaNAS version/revision/platform you are running in order to test and help.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

simbeav
NewUser
NewUser

Post by simbeav »

Thanks for replying

I'm running 12.1.0.4 - Ingva (revision 7542) on x64-embedded on AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor with 8gb of memory.

I used OneButtonInstaller to install Plex Media Server and used Plex Media Server Tarball Install using PlexMediaServer 1.19.4.2935

Install appeared to go OK, but if I enable Plex and then press the start button I get the error message above.

Do I have to create some users ? I thought that I had read somewhere that the install process would take care of that.

Return to “Extensions / Add-ons”