*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

[EXTENSION] Plex Media Server

XigmaNAS Extensions / Add-ons

Moderator: crest

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: [EXTENSION] Plex Media Server

Post by JoseMR » 03 May 2019 07:50

eire1274 wrote:
03 May 2019 05:00
This isn't a Plex issue. I was running Plex natively under a jail (before I converted to Xigmanas) with no issues. I was hoping for a known bug fix, but that obviously won't be the case. My hardware setup is a little off from most, and I think I am causing issues with the internal config via Xigmanas, because I know it runs fine under straight FreeBSD.

Thanks for the reply.

If Plex was working ok for you under FreeBSD/Jail before, and the Plex issues started when converting to XigmaNAS(assuming same hardware), then what comes into mind now is that Plex is not running on a permanent data location or you placed the Plex extension in the Data partition of an slow USB stick?

Please provide basic hardware information as well as the Data directory the Extension(s) are installed on.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

eire1274
NewUser
NewUser

Post by eire1274 » 04 May 2019 02:09

Problem solved.

OBI (and therefore all subsequent extension plugins) is installed on my ZFS cluster, a 2TBx4 stripe. Initially, I had it installed on the Data partition, but moving it to the large pool didn't change the behavior. It wasn't until I decided to treat Xigmanas as a FreeBSD server rather than a "smart" NAS appliance, and I found that even though I was no longer using the Data partition, the partition was full to bursting. I was installing using the recommended partition sizes, and there stemmed the issue.

With a config backup, another fresh install of 12.0.0.4r6625 but with a 40GB OS partition and a 12GB Swap (unnecessary really, just had the space so why not), and then a restore, Plex is behaving itself, and system memory usage has dropped massively. It was usually 90-95% of the 8GB RAM occupied, plus Swap overreach, which was unusual but I mistakenly decided was an artifact of the new software set. It now sits at a cozy 18% with no Swap usage.

System specs are in my signature.

Perhaps this should be considered in future releases to increase the minimum values presented by the installer based on projected usage?

Thanks again.
XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4r6625 64-bit, ASUS AM1M-A w/ Athlon 5350 SoC 4c/4t 2.05Ghz, 8GB ECC UDIMM, Patriot 60GB SSD SATA OS host, LSI SAS9200-8E, 4x2TB SATA ZFS, 1x8TB USB mirror

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 04 May 2019 03:46

eire1274 wrote:
04 May 2019 02:09
Problem solved.

OBI (and therefore all subsequent extension plugins) is installed on my ZFS cluster, a 2TBx4 stripe. Initially, I had it installed on the Data partition, but moving it to the large pool didn't change the behavior. It wasn't until I decided to treat Xigmanas as a FreeBSD server rather than a "smart" NAS appliance, and I found that even though I was no longer using the Data partition, the partition was full to bursting. I was installing using the recommended partition sizes, and there stemmed the issue.

With a config backup, another fresh install of 12.0.0.4r6625 but with a 40GB OS partition and a 12GB Swap (unnecessary really, just had the space so why not), and then a restore, Plex is behaving itself, and system memory usage has dropped massively. It was usually 90-95% of the 8GB RAM occupied, plus Swap overreach, which was unusual but I mistakenly decided was an artifact of the new software set. It now sits at a cozy 18% with no Swap usage.

System specs are in my signature.

Perhaps this should be considered in future releases to increase the minimum values presented by the installer based on projected usage?

Thanks again.

Hello, glad you spotted the problems on your NAS setup, between I will give you some advice and installation practices.

I'm non sure why you've set 40GB to the OS partition, unless you are using the Legacy XigmaNAS Full platform, setting more than say 4GB or 8GB to the Embedded platform root partition is just a waste of SSD space, since Embedded platforms loads the OS into RAM and remains static there.

This partition settings are there for Embedded users to avoid facing the "upgrade failed due root partition too small" issue that affect all Embedded platforms by design.

So if you placed Plex Extension in the Embedded root partition, you will eventually lost every setting after reboot regardless of its OS partition size, just install Embedded with about ~4GB partition for OS root, a 2 to 4GB partition for Swap and the rest of the space for the Data partition on the SSD in which you can later mount and use for Extensions.

If this is an XigmaNAS Full Platform running on UFS filesystem, you will be unable to perform Firmware upgrades from the WebGUI, you need to boot from LiveMedia and perform upgrades from there and if something goes wrong you will not be able to roll back easily, but rather forced to perform a OS reinstall and side packages reinstall and setup as well, XigmaNAS RootOnZFS platform supersedes the Legacy Full platform running on UFS but is recommended for advanced/experienced FreeBSD users generally.

Also a 4 x 2TB ZFS stripe will lost all the data with just a single disk failure, so you need a great backup plan to back this up.

Additionally sooner or later this 4x2TB disk ZFS pool will start eating RAM as cache(ZFS ARC), but you can limit this ZFS ARC usage regarding your system RAM and side applications running on, and tuning until reaching a sweet spot for your system between reliability performance.

Sorry for the long post but hope this can help some
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

eire1274
NewUser
NewUser

Post by eire1274 » 04 May 2019 07:02

Thanks for your concern, but for backup of the stripe, I have a local external disk mirror (nightly RSync) as well as a cloud backup. Anything critical would still be on my production desktop; the server is just for old data in case I need to go back for raw photos or video work. Oh, and movie playback.

I am planning to build a 4TBx12 cluster in ZFS2 shortly, but will be updating the RAM to 64GB or more, and upgrading to a Xeon platform as my current mobo is shy on slots and I need space for a SAS9200-8I host adapter on top of the SAS9200-8E that hosts the external cluster, plus a SAS expander, plus a 10GbE adapter.

As far as SSD space is concerned, it was wasted space anyway. This way, if need be, I have access to it if need be, and otherwise it makes no difference how it is configured.

Thanks again!
XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4r6625 64-bit, ASUS AM1M-A w/ Athlon 5350 SoC 4c/4t 2.05Ghz, 8GB ECC UDIMM, Patriot 60GB SSD SATA OS host, LSI SAS9200-8E, 4x2TB SATA ZFS, 1x8TB USB mirror

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 07 May 2019 08:48

new sucesfull update from webGUI:
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

Shperrung
experienced User
experienced User

Post by Shperrung » 07 May 2019 10:12

Hi,
As I see above upgrade report from Raul there is added support of Intel GPU in FreeBSD 12. What does it mean? Is it option available for free Plex or for Plex pass owners only?
11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 6177)
ASRock J3710-ITX, LAN: Realtek RTL8111GR; 16Gb RAM; WD 1Tbx2, WD 2Tb; UPS Powercom WOW500U.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 07 May 2019 16:13

Shperrung wrote:
07 May 2019 10:12
Hi,
As I see above upgrade report from Raul there is added support of Intel GPU in FreeBSD 12. What does it mean? Is it option available for free Plex or for Plex pass owners only?

Hi, hardware transcoding is now a Plex feature for either standard or registered Plex users for supported hardware.

I haven't added the feature yet as this will require a "Maintenance" tab for setting the kernel features to load on boot, and also will requires for some user input variable(like in loader.conf) for specify the supported GPU in use.

Still busy testing BE Manager, GELI encryption and some upcoming RootOnZFS features but I will try to add Plex H/W transcoding support soon.

For now the workaround is to manually set PostInit commands regarding the user hardware.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

PhilAT
NewUser
NewUser

Post by PhilAT » 20 May 2019 18:51

Hi!
Is this extension depend of a server version? I mean Nas4Free (11.1.0.4) / XigmaNas (11.2.0.4).
Or how I should correctly update Plex Media Server package?
PlexMS_ext01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 20 May 2019 23:08

PhilAT wrote:
20 May 2019 18:51
Hi!
Is this extension depend of a server version? I mean Nas4Free (11.1.0.4) / XigmaNas (11.2.0.4).
Or how I should correctly update Plex Media Server package?
PlexMS_ext01.png

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Nothing wrong to fix here, just wait for the official FreeBSD pkg repositories to update on the specified FreeBSD version the Plex is installed on, this may vary from FreeBSD releases(newer releases as priority iirc) and it is also highly depends on the port maintainer for pre-compile and update on older FreeBSD releases as time permits.

Since the extension relies on FreeBSD pre-compiled packages for updates by default, updates may also lag from official Plex releases as expected, therefore update messages from the official Plex app like shown below should be dismissed/skipped until the pkg is available on the official repos:
Screenshot from 2019-05-20 16-47-56.png

However, the user may drop the official package in the extension directory to force an upgrade, but is intended for advanced users on they own, personally I recommend to just wait for the official pre-compiled package whenever possible, and still the user may face some changes who may randomly break they Plex functionality such plugins etc.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

PhilAT
NewUser
NewUser

Post by PhilAT » 20 May 2019 23:36

JoseMR wrote:
20 May 2019 23:08
just wait for the official FreeBSD pkg repositories to update on the specified FreeBSD version the Plex is installed on
I've solved my question. Just via ssh I ran the command:

Code: Select all

pkg update -f
Then Plex Media Server was upgraded successfully.
Thank you!

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 01 Jun 2019 11:44

sucesfully updated:
1.jpg
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

berumsey
NewUser
NewUser

Post by berumsey » 04 Jun 2019 04:08

I just upgraded the extension to 4.2.096 and plex won't start. It says "Plex Media Server started successfully." but status is stopped with no pid. Running nas4free 11.1.0.4 - Atomics (revision 4994). I'm not sure where to start.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 04 Jun 2019 06:04

berumsey wrote:
04 Jun 2019 04:08
I just upgraded the extension to 4.2.096 and plex won't start. It says "Plex Media Server started successfully." but status is stopped with no pid. Running nas4free 11.1.0.4 - Atomics (revision 4994). I'm not sure where to start.

Hi welcome to the forum, I don't have NAS4Free dev/test VM's any longer but you could check the logs for errors, or restart the server and try re-starting plex with either the WebGUI or by executing "plexinit -s" or "service plexmediaserver onestart".

Also did the plex media server component(the plex program) also upgraded?

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

berumsey
NewUser
NewUser

Post by berumsey » 04 Jun 2019 06:23

Restarting the nas4free server has no affect. Executing "plexinit -s" it says "starting plexmediaserver" but still no pid. The plex log says server started, but still not running. Yes plex updated to 1.15.6.1079, I then tried uninstall and reinstall, and then manual upgrade to 1.15.8.1163 via tar. All had the same issue. I think it's an issue with plexinit, but I have no idea how to downgrade the extension or plex to an earlier version.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 04 Jun 2019 07:09

berumsey wrote:
04 Jun 2019 06:23
Restarting the nas4free server has no affect. Executing "plexinit -s" it says "starting plexmediaserver" but still no pid. The plex log says server started, but still not running. Yes plex updated to 1.15.6.1079, I then tried uninstall and reinstall, and then manual upgrade to 1.15.8.1163 via tar. All had the same issue. I think it's an issue with plexinit, but I have no idea how to downgrade the extension or plex to an earlier version.

Hello, I've just installed and tested the Plex Extension v4.2.096(installed via OBI) on a new VM and Plex v1.15.6.1079 is working fine here, start/stop commands are responsive as expected:
plex_test_06-04-2019.png
Regarding to "plexinit", it is just the script that install/initialize Plex, if the command "service plexmediaserver onestart" does not start Plex, then there is another issue in that install/setup.

More information regarding the hardware could help, also is the Plex Extension installed in a permanent data location with enough throughput, i.e installed on a HDD/SSD and not in the slow Data partition of an USB stick(if Embedded)?, you can manually revert to the previous Plex package but it may be a hassle if the previous package are not in the /var/cache/pkg any longer.

Additionally, just in case you installed the Extensions in a dedicated ZFS dataset protected by snapshots, you can easily revert to a previous working condition from the WebGUI and reboot.

Between I will soon add an "Maintenance TAB" to the Extension GUI to move some buttons/functions there including Upgrade and Uninstall, so I will take a deep look into the scripts.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

HUNKDave
NewUser
NewUser

Post by HUNKDave » 04 Jun 2019 15:17

berumsey wrote:
I am also having this exact same problem.

berumsey
NewUser
NewUser

Post by berumsey » 04 Jun 2019 19:20

The command "service plexmediaserver onestart" does not start Plex, just says "starting plexmediaserver" but not actually running. I'm running nas4free from a thumb drive, and all extension data is on a zfs raid mirror array "sorry no snapshots". So would the issue be in rc.d then? I have considered updating nas4free, but didn't want to compound the issue. btw: in your screenshot it looks like xigmanas 11.2*, I'm on "older" nas4free 11.1.0.4
Last edited by berumsey on 04 Jun 2019 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 04 Jun 2019 19:31

perhaps plexpass related problem?

Wiki
Last changes

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 04 Jun 2019 20:43

raulfg3 wrote:
04 Jun 2019 19:31
perhaps plexpass related problem?

Hi raulfg3, been testing both Plex and Plexpass and I confirm Plexpass is also working fine here on my XigmaNAS tests VM's, I can't reproduce this even by forcing a Plex Extension upgrade by lowering the extension number in the version file.
plexpass_test_06-04-2019.png

P.S. I wonder why this random Plex problems still appearing, unfortunately I can't reproduce this issue not even on very low specs VM's on purpose.

It seems that the faster way to solve this is to backup "plexdata" and save to a safe location, reinstall Plex and restore the "plexdata" back, if after restore still don't work, there may be problems with plex bundles, plugins or preferences.xml as seen previously, in such case redoing again is the way to go.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

berumsey
NewUser
NewUser

Post by berumsey » 04 Jun 2019 21:18

I did a backup and uninstall then reinstall with no help as I said before. I think the main issue could be my nas4free 11.1.0.4, your vm looks to be xigmanas 11.2

berumsey
NewUser
NewUser

Post by berumsey » 04 Jun 2019 21:47

I downloaded an old version from "https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-se ... 64.tar.bz2". I had to change filename to "PlexMediaServer-1.15.4.994-107756f7e-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2", the caps in "freebsd" pissed it off, but I saw what it wanted in plexinit. Ran "plexinit -e" to update via tarball and it works again. It must be an issue between plex 1.15.6.1079 and nas4free 11.1.0.4, dependencies? Hope this info and download link helps someone else. I will work on upgrading nas4free later this week probably, which will hopefully resolve this issue.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 04 Jun 2019 22:56

berumsey wrote:
04 Jun 2019 21:47
I downloaded an old version from "https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-se ... 64.tar.bz2". I had to change filename to "PlexMediaServer-1.15.4.994-107756f7e-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2", the caps in "freebsd" pissed it off, but I saw what it wanted in plexinit. Ran "plexinit -e" to update via tarball and it works again. It must be an issue between plex 1.15.6.1079 and nas4free 11.1.0.4, dependencies? Hope this info and download link helps someone else. I will work on upgrading nas4free later this week probably, which will hopefully resolve this issue.

Hello, thanks a lot for your findings and to provide a working fix, this seems to happens from time to time, I dunno if this have something to do with the Plex dependencies which are "compat9x" and "compat10x" but that files won't update too often either.

Also yes, I do test on XigmaNAS 11.2/12.0 as N4F is an EOL product no longer in maintenance/development, though I've seen this issue also happening to some users(including me on vanilla FreeBSD) and I've reinstalled twice as well in the past, between I will take also the "FreeBSD caps" manual upgrade bug on consideration for the next Plex Extension.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

berumsey
NewUser
NewUser

Post by berumsey » 05 Jun 2019 00:51

Just to verify my conclusion I found an old nas4free iso here "https://downloads.sourceforge.net/proje ... rror=ayera" and installed in vmware. When I installed plex it wouldn't start "1.15.6.1079", I manually downgraded to "1.15.4.994" and it worked! Should I mention this issue on the plex forum?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 05 Jun 2019 01:25

berumsey wrote:
05 Jun 2019 00:51
Just to verify my conclusion I found an old nas4free iso here "https://downloads.sourceforge.net/proje ... rror=ayera" and installed in vmware. When I installed plex it wouldn't start "1.15.6.1079", I manually downgraded to "1.15.4.994" and it worked! Should I mention this issue on the plex forum?

Hi, If you can manage to reproduce such issue but on FreeBSD 11.1 and if the distro is still receiving updates, you can report the details on the official Plex forums.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

bjs
Starter
Starter

Post by bjs » 05 Jun 2019 10:56

JoseMR wrote:
04 Jun 2019 22:56
I dunno if this have something to do with the Plex dependencies which are "compat9x" and "compat10x"
I believe those dependencies have been removed now... Please see this post in the PLEX Forums...
XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 - Omnius RootOnZFS/MBR - HP M700 120GB SSDs
x64-full on Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz - 8GB RAM
Intel DG33FB Motherboard - LSI 9211-8i with 8TB available

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 05 Jun 2019 17:32

bjs wrote:
05 Jun 2019 10:56
I believe those dependencies have been removed now... Please see this post in the PLEX Forums...

Hi bjs, this is good news indeed, I will test on my own server about removing this old dependencies too.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

HUNKDave
NewUser
NewUser

Post by HUNKDave » 05 Jun 2019 20:12

HUNKDave wrote:
04 Jun 2019 15:17
berumsey wrote:
I am also having this exact same problem.
updated to XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 now everything working like normal :)

Thanks

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 06 Jun 2019 11:57

Hello, the Plex Exstension has been bumped to version 4.3.000.

Several code changes has been made in hopes for improvements, also a new maintenance tasks tab has been included for administration ease and prevent clutter in the extension index page.

Note that Plex transcode settings/options not added yet but is already in the todo list for further release.

Screenshots:
plex_ext_index.png
plex_ext_maintain.png
Feedback is always appreciated, also any issues/bugs please let me know, also remember to clear browser cache after upgrade to v4.3.0.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 06 Jun 2019 12:21

OK, upgraded sucesfully to 4.3

some recomendations:

- Clear explorer cache so firefox/Chrome/Edge/etc... can load new menu

Some question.
Why checkbox is not saved betbeen reloads?.
6.jpg
I Checkit to test and next time I need to recheck one more time for next update

Wiki
Last changes

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 06 Jun 2019 12:49

raulfg3 wrote:
06 Jun 2019 12:21
OK, upgraded sucesfully to 4.3

some recomendations:

- Clear explorer cache so firefox/Chrome/Edge/etc... can load new menu

Some question.
Why checkbox is not saved betbeen reloads?.

6.jpg

I Checkit to test and next time I need to recheck one more time for next update

Hello raul thanks for the feedback, this has been made in purpose in hopes to minimize Plex and/or user custom channels/plugins breakage.

So if the user agree to update the Plex component despite that it may break customs and/or Plex itself, then the user have to manually check this box to update the Plex component along with the Extension files, leaving it unchecked will only upgrade Extension files as expected.

Between I've released version 4.3.001 with auto-start if enabled fix, so you can test the upgrade button now leaving the box unchecked, then retry with the box checked to see it behavior and output.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “Extensions / Add-ons”