*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-05: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7509 - released

*New 11.3 series Release:
2020-04-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7509 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

[EXTENSION] Plex Media Server

XigmaNAS Extensions / Add-ons

Moderator: crest

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

[EXTENSION] Plex Media Server

Post by JoseMR »

Hello, I'm very pleased to announce the new Plex Media Server Extension for XigmaNAS 11.3 and later versions, this extension will perform a seamless Plex installation on a persistent data location, also the user can select which version of Plex to be installed initially, between either using the built-in FreeBSD pkg tool or by using an official Plex tarball, also ability to check and upgrade the Extension and Plex packages from the XigmaNAS WebGUI at anytime.

Latest version

Need help with Plex Extension Translations

Installation procedure:

Easy method:
This extension can be easily installed with the OneButtonInstaller

Manual method:

Code: Select all

fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JRGTH/nas4free-plex-extension/master/plex-install.php && mkdir -p ext/plex-install && echo '<a href="plex-install.php">Plex Extension Installer</a>' > ext/plex-install/menu.inc && echo -e "\n=> Done!"
After command finished successfully with '=>Done!' refresh the XigmaNAS WebGUI and open the menu entry Extensions|Plex Media Server Installer, choose a permanent data directory to install the extension and hit 'Save & Install' to finish the installation or hit 'Cancel' to abort and remove the installer from the system, After successful completion you can access the extension from the WebGUI menu entry Extensions|Plex Media Server.

Install/Reinstall notes: The installer can be used as a reinstall tool as well if needed, also existing users need to click on the extension "Uninstall" button but please DO NOT select checkbox for "Activate to delete user data" to preserver your current Plex configuration unless otherwise, then when searching for the extension path, DO NOT select the existing "plex" folder as the installer will auto create this folder and if you select it then a sub folder will be re-created, further upgrades can be as simple as clicking Upgrade button whiting the extension gui for an automated online extension pkg upgrade.

Additionally if for some reason the user move or rename folder on the install location, just execute plexinit script from the new location end the script will auto re-link the environment and update the PostInit command with the new path regarding the version installed.

Features:
  • 1: Works on XigmaNAS 11.x and later versions, Embedded and Full platforms.
    2: Don't need VM, Jail or Unionfs configs.
    3: User upgradeable Plex packages from WebGUI/shell.
    4: Single init script for management and startup ease.
    5: Dedicated Extension GUI tab for common management tasks.
    6: Fetch and install official Plex packages from FreeBSD or by Tarball upload.
    7: Plex Tarball Install/Upgrades from WebGUI.
    8: Plexdata backup archiver from WebGUI.
    9: Plexdata restores from WebGUI.
    10: Plexdata folder switching ability from WebGUI.

Common management shell options:

xigmanas: ~# plexinit -h
Usage: plexinit -[option] | [path|file]
Options:
        -s  Start Plex Media Server.
        -p  Stop Plex Media Server.
        -r  Restart Plex Media Server.
        -u  Upgrade Plex/Extension packages.
        -U  Upgrade Extension packages only.
        -g  Enables the addon GUI.
        -t  Disable the addon GUI.
        -x  Reset Plex Extension Config.
        -b  Backup Plexdata Directory.
        -f  Restore Plexdata Directory.
        -e  Install/Upgrade Plex package from tarball.
        -i  Install/Upgrade Plex package from pkg tool
        -v  Display product version.
        -h  Display this help message.
xigmanas: ~#
These additional switches are provided by the plexinit script only for management ease.[/s]

Screenshots:
Plex_Dash.png
Plex_Config.png

Notes:
Like always, backup the current server configuration before anything else.
There will be a small delay until the latest precompiled Plex package to be available for download, push "Upgrade" button regularly under "Extensions|Plex Media Server" or with "plexinit -u" from the shell, the package and version info will be updated when available, alternatively upload a an official Plex tarball instead to stay updated.

TODO list:
-Current translations completion/additions.

Disclaimer: This Extension is provided AS-IS, and I'm NOT responsible for any data loss or damage caused by the use of it, use solely at your own risk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JoseMR on 15 Jun 2018 02:07, edited 31 times in total.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoeCotty
NewUser
NewUser

Re: [EXTENSION] Plex Media Server

Post by JoeCotty »

Hi,

I installes latest XIGMANAS 12.1.0.4 embedded on USB stick and i want to install the PLEX extension.
When i put the command

fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JRGTH/nas4free-plex-extension/master/plex-install.php && mkdir -p ext/plex-install && echo '<a href="plex-install.php">Plex Extension Installer</a>' > ext/plex-install/menu.inc && echo -e "\n=> Done!"
in WebGUI i get the new menu entry.
But there i have to choose a place beyond /mnt which i do no have.
I also can not mount my USB-stick.

So is there a way to install it directly onto my boot USB-stick ?
If yes, how ?

btw i am not a linux guy ...

Best regards
Joe

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

NO, you need to use a data partition so install persist on reboot.

PD:Please read about embeded install and how it works.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

Eliminateur
Starter
Starter

Post by Eliminateur »

Upgrade worked like a charm, now i have a current updated plex!!, freebsd 11.2 is still well supported in Plex so no issues there for the time being
JoseMR wrote:
09 Feb 2020 12:40

Upgrading from official Plex tarball is far very simple.
  • 1) Go to official Plex download page and get latest FreeBSD tarball.
    2) Drop the Plex tarball into the Plex Extension install location.
    3) Execute 'plexinit -e' to extract the Plex tarball.
Tips:
1) This manual Plex upgrade method will overwrite/override the previous Plex install, menaing if the latest Plex tarball is even buggier than the previous install, the user need to manually re-install the previous version, or rollback from ZFS snapshots if available.

2) The 'pkg info' command may show the previous Plex pkg version as expected, since this was the last information obtained from the MANIFEST during the last install/upgrade through the pkg tool, however this is harmless and should be ignored.

Notes:
NAS4Free 11.2 is an EOL(End of Life) product and no longer supported, either the Plex Extension will not follow/test in such EOL platforms due several issues and keep with the old and new PHP code, not to mention that the FreeBSD pkg repos will no longer be updated and the user will be stuck with an old Plex version.

Screenshot for reference:
Manual_Plex_Upgrade_From_Tarball.png

Regards

nyak
NewUser
NewUser

Post by nyak »

Hello ...
i'm tried install extension plex:

but after bit time i receive this message:

No input file specified. 

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

nyak wrote:
23 Feb 2020 19:40
Hello ...

No input file specified. 

Hello, could you mind to share your current XigmaNAS setup?, so we could bring support based on.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello, as for Plex Extension version 4.3.013, there is a new Maintenance feature, ability to either upgrade or downgrade from the official Plex tarball files.

How Plex Extension initially works:
When installing the Plex Extension either manually or through the OBI installer(recommended), it will initially fetch and install the Plex package from the official FreeBSD pkg repository to leave a fully functional Plex server, with also ability to upgrade it later with the FreeBSD pkg tool.

However the FreeBSD pkg repository nor the FreeBSD ports(not available in XigmaNAS) not always carry the latest Plex Media Server.

So in order to mitigate the dilemma about "Plex is too old", "Plex wont upgrade" or "how to upgrade Plex" etc. etc., I've added the ability to either Upgrade or Downgrade Plex through the WebGUI using the Official Plex Media Sever Tarballs.

Also note that if you upgraded Plex from a tarball and later upgrade it from the FreeBSD pkg tool, the pkg tool will override the current Plex installation as expected.

Known bugs:
The 'pkg info' command may show the previous Plex pkg version as expected, since this was the last information obtained from the MANIFEST during the last install/upgrade through the pkg tool, however this is harmless and should be ignored, between the command `plexinit -v` will show the correct version information and Plex version information from the extension GUI is not affected either.

Screenshots:
Plex_Tarball_Upgrade_Downgrade.png
Plex_Upgraded_Via_Tarball.png
Plex_Upgrade_Notify.png
Tips:
Remember to restart Plex in case it was running while upgrading.
Always save the previous Plex tarball in case the new version is broken.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

nyak
NewUser
NewUser

Post by nyak »

JoseMR wrote:
26 Feb 2020 22:29
nyak wrote:
23 Feb 2020 19:40
Hello ...

No input file specified. 

Hello, could you mind to share your current XigmaNAS setup?, so we could bring support based on.

Regards
xigmanas.png
Thanks

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

nyak wrote:
01 Mar 2020 09:52

xigmanas.png

Thanks

Hello, you are running an End Of Life(EOL) unsupported XigmaNAS product.

However that bug has been reported before and is still unknown on why affect few users.

Can't test here, but my advice is to Save as the latest addon script installer, then place it under the server "/path/to/plex"(adjust to your own path) and execute it directly.

Example:

cd /path/to/plex
chmod +x plexinit
./plexinit
Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

sucesfully update to latest version:
1.jpg
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hi Raul, thanks for posting success on Plex upgrade through the pkg tool.

***Plex Extension News***

As for Plex Extension version 4.3.014, the Extension will no longer automatically install the Plex package, but rather it will be an user choice though the "Maintenance Tab" for convenience, i.e. the user have the option to choice to install from a manually downloaded Plex Tarball from the official Plex FreeBSD downloads(latest, bleeding edge), or just install from the FreeBSD Pkg repos instead(conservative), also either installation method can be upgraded either way.

This will address issues such as the FreeBSD Pkg not working properly for certain users/locations, also will let the user stay up-to-date with the latest Plex Tarballs if selected such installation method, additionally the user can easily Upgrade/downgrade as they want in case of Plex issues.

Note: After the initial installation choice, the "Plex Media Server Pkg Installer" column will be disabled, and only the "Plex Media Server Tarball Install/Upgrade" column will remain active for further Plex manual upgrades.

Screenshots:
Plex_Ext_Dash.png
Plex_Ext_Installer.png
Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

nyak
NewUser
NewUser

Post by nyak »

JoseMR wrote:
01 Mar 2020 17:23
nyak wrote:
01 Mar 2020 09:52

xigmanas.png

Thanks

Hello, you are running an End Of Life(EOL) unsupported XigmaNAS product.

However that bug has been reported before and is still unknown on why affect few users.

Can't test here, but my advice is to Save as the latest addon script installer, then place it under the server "/path/to/plex"(adjust to your own path) and execute it directly.

Example:

cd /path/to/plex
chmod +x plexinit
./plexinit
Regards

Okay, thank you.
I think it's time to update my xigmanas.
I'll proceed with a new installation and then I'll update you.
Thank you.

Return to “Extensions / Add-ons”