Sorry we lost some posts because of database errors!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-09-01: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7728 - released

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-08-27: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7718 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

SlimNAS on NAS4Free

XigmaNAS Extensions / Add-ons

Moderator: crest

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
mooblie
experienced User
experienced User

SlimNAS on NAS4Free

Post by mooblie »

NOTICE: Please go to viewtopic.php?f=71&t=38&start=25#p20384 to see how to install into a jail , thanks to fsbruba.

LAST UPDATE : viewtopic.php?p=88169#p88169

To bring the main points of a thread on the old Sourceforge boards to these new boards:

1. SlimNAS is an extension to FreeNAS, which installs/runs Logitech Media Server (LMS).
2. LMS plays out your music media libraries to Logitech's network music players (current ones shown here), and of course, the much loved ;) but now defunct, Squeezeboxes and audiophile Transporters:
ImageImage
3. SlimNAS works very well, and was writen by Michael Herger, who frequents the Logitech Media Server Boards.
4. However, SlimNAS only runs on FreeNAS 0.7, and NOT FreeNAS 0.8, NOR NAS4Free ("0.9"). This is because of the underlying version of BSD.
5. I, and others, would like to run SlimNAS on NAS4Free - as clearly NAS4Free has a future development path, whereas, we all assume FreeNAS 0.7 is "frozen".
6. Without this, we are "stuck" with FreeNAS 0.7, as not being able to run SlimNAS on NAS4Free is a deal-breaker.

There is a thread at the Logitech forums about this here, where Michael Herger commented.
(There was also a thread on the old Sourceforge NAS4Free boards, but I guess that link will soon die.)

There is some development needed to migrate SlimNAS onto NAS4Free, for which Michael is unfortunately unavailable at present.

A great project waiting there for someone? Much appreciation and kudos waiting? :D ...
Martin

rocket
Starter
Starter

Re: SlimNAS on NAS4Free

Post by rocket »

I'll have a look at this over the next week or two. I have two squeezeboxes and would love to run slimserver.
older system:
Platform x64-full on AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor
System ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785T-M Bios: 2002 03/18/2010
10tb pool

shiny new system:
Platform x64-embedded on Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
System ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D-E LX
12gb RAM
running 11.20.4 - Omnius (revision 6766)

60tb, 15tb, and 10tb pools

rocketgirls know how to have fun

jistme

Post by jistme »

To add as a sidenote, Michael has indicated a while back that while he has no opportunity to work on this, he is willing to help out if somebody would be able to take over this project.
He mentioned e.g. he could "probably pull up a list of binaries required, and somebody willing and able could compile them".
(abracadabra to me ;-)

jistme

Post by jistme »

rocket wrote:I'll have a look at this over the next week or two. I have two squeezeboxes and would love to run slimserver.
Hey rocket, any update about your findings?

rocket
Starter
Starter

Post by rocket »

sadly, no. Work started in at 6 days a week, and I haven't had a moment to play :(
older system:
10tb pool

shiny new system:
12gb RAM

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

Good morning-

I am working on developing a solution to this. What are your platforms/configurations? My configuration(s) are for embedded systems running off USB sticks, with all my storage as ZFS pools. Also, I am running these systems inside my LAN, over which I have complete control. This last piece is kind of a big deal. I may have a working prototype by the end of the weekend, but it will only work for the latest revision (9.1.0.1 - Sandstorm (revision 273)), x64 embedded.

I have been investigating this for some time, and have come to these conclusions:
1. The solution developed should work for both embedded and full installations
2. The solution developed should take into account security issues associated with processes running as root

Based on #1 and 2 (and my experience with Freenas 7), I have come to the realization that jails are the best option for both security and flexibility. With regard to jails, however, the stock kernel was not built with the ipfw_nat or libalias capability. This means that it is impossible to have all the jails share the same IP address. So, as I mentioned, the fact that these systems are running on my own LAN is fine, because I have plenty of spare IP addresses.

If you have a problem with having your Squeezebox Server at a different IP address than your WebGUI or your Subsonic server, then I encourage you to come up with a flexible solution that will agree with #1 & #2 above. The only option I found was to re-compile a custom kernel, and this would make future upgrades a chore. This issue (of course) would be re-visited if the requisite capabilities were built into the kernel. That is a battle for a different day.

So, what are your platforms/configurations? Do you already have jails, full vs. embedded, etc? Also, who would be willing to give my solution a try sometime next week? Also, how important is it to you to have the "extensions" menu within the webgui?

jistme

Post by jistme »

Hi fsbruva,

Me, I'm momentarily running FreeNas 0.7.2 from a CF card.
I have no real skills or knowledge about stuff like jails etc, just some time and perserverance to usualy get things to work at the end, without most of the time knowing exactly what I did ;-)

I could buy a second CF card, and put NAS4Free x64 on it, and try-out your creations...
When after that I place back my FreeNAS 0.7.2 CF card, would everything be exactly as it was before?
(It would be disasterous for me otherwise)

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

yes if not upgrade ZFS ( Freenas use ver 15 and Nas4free ver 28) upgrade can be done manually so no worry about that if you don't want
12.1.0.4 - Ingva (revision 7743) on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 11x3TB disk in 1 vdev = Vpool = 32TB Raw size , so 29TB usable size (I Have other NAS as Backup)

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

jistme wrote:Hi fsbruva,

Me, I'm momentarily running FreeNas 0.7.2 from a CF card.
I have no real skills or knowledge about stuff like jails etc, just some time and perserverance to usualy get things to work at the end, without most of the time knowing exactly what I did ;-)

I could buy a second CF card, and put NAS4Free x64 on it, and try-out your creations...
When after that I place back my FreeNAS 0.7.2 CF card, would everything be exactly as it was before?
(It would be disasterous for me otherwise)
Can you articulate why you have not upgraded to NAS4Free? Is there application support that is missing? I could walk you through setting up an alternate install - the methods for upgrading from 0.7.2 to 9 are listed elsewhere in this forum. It's a matter of exporting your config, editing a few lines from "freenas" to "nas4free." Once you booted into Nas4free, you would restore that config, and all would be the same, even with new OS.

As raulfg3 said... the only thing that would make a substantive change would be if you upgraded one or more of your zpools to version 28. Once this upgrade is completed (to the configuration on the disks), it cannot be undone, and 0.7.2 can't understand it. Do you use ZFS for your storage pools?

This step would be wholly independent from the jail issue. Once you were convinced that nothing had been touched on your zpools or other data mounts, then you could try my jail install/setup script.

The other issue is a question for raulfg3 - the install tarball is likely to be about 45 MB. Where do you recommend that be hosted? Is there a file storage repository within the forum?

jistme

Post by jistme »

fsbruva wrote: Can you articulate why you have not upgraded to NAS4Free? Is there application support that is missing?
SlimNAS is the reason.
Without that I have no music in two rooms....

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

Ah. Very good.

Do you use ZFS for your storage?

jistme

Post by jistme »

Nope, didn't 'dare' yet.
UFS

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

We've been using ZFS for about a year now, and have no complaints. Running twin 1T laptop drives in a mirror, weekly scrubs with email reporting if there's a problem. Once nice thing about ZFS is when setup in a mirror, write speeds remain the same, but read speeds doubled as a result of having two copies to read from.

I am in the midst of building Logitech Media Server v7.8 for use within the jail. It is .... not going as well as I had hoped, but better than I expected. I might have a working copy of the server by nightfall (US East Coast), but streamlining it for general consumption will probably not occur for another week. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

jistme

Post by jistme »

fsbruva wrote:We've been using ZFS for about a year now, and have no complaints.
As I understand ZFS needs somewhat more memory. Momentarily I have 1GB in my server, which is said not to be advisable for ZFS.
Also harddisk activity is said to be a lot higher.
Snapshot functionality seems very handy though.
fsbruva wrote: I am in the midst of building Logitech Media Server v7.8 for use within the jail. It is .... not going as well as I had hoped, but better than I expected. I might have a working copy of the server by nightfall (US East Coast), but streamlining it for general consumption will probably not occur for another week. Sorry if I got your hopes up.
The fact that you are even trying and giving it an effort is great. Hopefully somebody else will step in and give some assistance if you get stuck.
Not being a very extensive user of advanced options, I can also be content to 'be stuck' with 0.7 and UFS for a while. Working rock solid.
Do let me know if I might be of any use as a guinea pig.

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

I did it!

I was able to build LMS v 7.8 from scratch for FreeBSD 9.1 amd64! Good news item #2 - I was able to install it within a jail having only installed perl-5.12.4 within the jail. The webpage comes up, and I am able to stream music from it using a browser.

I now need to spend some time doing some fresh installs to make sure I have covered all my bases.

BodgeIT
Starter
Starter

Post by BodgeIT »

Hi watching this development with keen eager eyes. While I don't want to ruffle feathers, 7.8 LMS has various issue including swapping MusicIP 'M' button for 'M' for more details...a big nono for me. Would there be any chance of offering users the opportunity to select their own preferred version of LMS or in fact Squeezeserver?

Also one other point...could this provide a better UPNP server for Nas4Free? UPNP was intergrated with LMS in ver 7.7 and handles videos and pictures...just a thought.
NAS4Free: 11.4.0.4 - (7682) amd64-embedded
Mobo: Supermicro X9SCL-F, CPU: Xeon E3-1230v2; RAM: Crucial 32GB ECC
System: IBM M1015it SAS controller(SAS2008 v20); Intel Dual 1Gb Server Nic; Thermaltake 1KW PSU;

Storage: Raidz1(3x Toshiba N300 6TB), Raidz1(3x WD Red 3TB), UFS(1x 1TB) Utility disk, ZFS Cache(64Gb SSD)

jistme

Post by jistme »

BodgeIT wrote:Hi watching this development with keen eager eyes. While I don't want to ruffle feathers, 7.8 LMS has various issue....
They seem to be progressing with v10 already?
http://bit.ly/LogitechServer_v10

And renaming it to UE Music library...

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

BodgeIT wrote:Would there be any chance of offering users the opportunity to select their own preferred version of LMS or in fact Squeezeserver?
Logitech has always offered the opportunity for you to select your own preferred version. Check out http://svn.slimdevices.com/slim. Build whatever version you want! :lol:

There's something about "give a mouse a cookie..." at work here. Perhaps I have not made it abundantly clear that I have been working on this straight through for a week. I would be willing to share the steps I took to build LMS. Then you could build whatever version you wanted?

BodgeIT - How do you already know you don't want 7.8? What version do you want?
jistme wrote:They seem to be progressing with v10 already?
Check out the following: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ic-Library
Logitech has decided that v10 will not support any Squeezebox devices. So it is not a valid upgrade option for most.

jistme

Post by jistme »

I stand corrected.
It's indeed an incompatible, stripped down version only suitable for Logitech's 'UE' music players.

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

As long as I am taking requests - jistme:
Do you have a preferred version of LMS?

jistme

Post by jistme »

I wish I could name a 'best' version, but it seems there just isn't:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ion-of-LMS

Currently I'm on 7.7 (7.7.2 - r33893 to be exact)
If I recall correctly this was also the version however which introduced a scanning problem I also sometimes encounter. (scans endlessly, doesn't stop)
Not sure if that might have to do with Logitech changing MySQL to SQlight from version 7.6 on.
Some users seem to add MySQL themselves manually to later versions?

I searched and read some about 7.8, but that one also seems to have several current issues, which are still being addressed.

Maybe a recent 7.7.3 would be the safest bet right now?
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php

Whatever you decide, I'll be happy and grateful...

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

I am not sure how the compilation of the CPAN modules (major piece of the work) relates to the version of the release. For instance, I am not certain if I should build 7.7.3 with the 7.8 CPAN or the 7.7.2 CPAN source code.

I have downloaded about 5 Gig of source code this afternoon, and will keep track of how long each build takes. My price is a beer per hour!

Now that I *think* I know what I'm doing, I will see about making up some tarballs. To keep things a little simpler, I am only going to build for the "latest" perl from the FreeBSD packages-9-stable repo - v5.12.4. Considering this will be running inside a jail, I don't really see a reason to worry about it.

jistme

Post by jistme »

To me, most of what you say is abracadabra, but I understand 5 gig source code is a lot, and we do have beer in Amsterdam...

Hopefully some people who know what you are talking about technically will step in with some useful input?
There must be some, lots of views on this topic...

Cheers!

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

Good news keeps rolling in. I figured out how to determine which versions of the CPAN modules (the part I have to build from C sources) go with which version of LMS (which I have to build from perl sources). This answers the question I had last night about CPAN matching the nightly build you wanted.

I am in the process of building all the the CPAN sources I have access to.... 7.8, 7.7 and 7.7.2. It sounds like 7.8 has more issues than I realized, so I will focus for now on the 7.7.2 and 7.7.3 builds. Additionally, I am working on a custom-convert.conf that will be part of the tarball. This will allow you to have the option of using ffmpeg for most transcoding. The only wrinkle in this whole thing is I cannot (by law) distribute a compiled copy of the LAME mp3 encoder. I will be able to send along the copy of the port directory, but you will have to make it yourself.

Do you have ssh enabled? Or do you have a keyboard/mouse connected to your server?

jistme

Post by jistme »

You takking to me? ;-)
Yep, ssh, one drive completely encrypted (not the one with my music on it), mouse/keyboard/monitor available. (It's a cheap mini-itx pc board with an integrated dual-core Atom)

rocket
Starter
Starter

Post by rocket »

fsbruva wrote:I did it!

I was able to build LMS v 7.8 from scratch for FreeBSD 9.1 amd64! Good news item #2 - I was able to install it within a jail having only installed perl-5.12.4 within the jail. The webpage comes up, and I am able to stream music from it using a browser.

I now need to spend some time doing some fresh installs to make sure I have covered all my bases.

Ooh, could you post a step-by-step so the rest of us could do it?

or are you pre-compiling and sending out tarballs?

thanks!!!
older system:
10tb pool

shiny new system:
12gb RAM

fsbruva
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by fsbruva »

rocket wrote:Ooh, could you post a step-by-step so the rest of us could do it?

or are you pre-compiling and sending out tarballs?
EDIT - This post has been modified heavily so that subsequent visitors can save some time. I have had success with version 7.8 of LMS on Nas4Free, which has lately been pre-built by Ian Pallfreeman at XenoPsyche.net. I suspect that most users will be fine with 7.8. The trouble with going earlier than 7.8 is that perl 5.14 (which is the version you get as of 19 May 2013 when you pkg_add r perl) is not supported in the build tools.

If you just want to get Squeezebox Server running on Nas4Free, then please see my HowTo later in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=38&start=25#p20384

The remainder of this post is devoted to how to build your own LMS in a jail on Nas4Free

This is for all the hardcore people who MUST have LMS version 7.5 or whatever. Be warned... ahead there be dragons.

1. First thing we need is a build jail. I highly recommend installing a jail via TheBrig. A HowTo can be found: TheBrig HowTo

When making the jail - you need to choose a "safe" IP address for the jail to live on - outside the DHCP scope of your network. Also, list 127.0.0.1 as an address for the jail. My config line is: jail_proto_ip="10.10.1.14,127.0.0.1" This is needed because one of the LMS build steps checks to see if the loopback interface is up.

The rest of the steps are within the jail

2. Install bash, perl , git, gmake, nasm, rsync and nano, and then make sure you rehash after the install.
Also, you will need to symlink rsync so that the install script thinks it lives in /usr/bin

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/local/bin/rsync /usr/bin/rsync
3. Create a directory from which to build the software. I created /usr/local/src/logitech/

4. cd to that directory, and checkout the elements you want from github. What you choose will depend heavily on what you plan on building. If you just want to add amd64 functionality to an existing LMS tarball that you already downloaded, then you only need to git the slimserver-vendor stuff. If you plan on adding support for a new version of Perl, you may want to play it safe and build the whole tarball (requiring all pieces).

git clone git://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor.git vendor
This gets the pieces you need to make the CPAN modules - 486 M as of this May 2013 edit

git clone git://github.com/Logitech/slimserver.git server
This gets the pieces you need to make slimserver - 578 M as of this May 2013 edit

git clone git://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-platforms.git platforms
This gets the platform specific tools you need to make slimserver - 114 M as of this May 2013 edit

git clone git://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-tools.git tools
This gets the build tools you need to make slimserver - 4 M as of this May 2013 edit

5. Choose the branch you want to work with. In this example, I am working on 7.7. Both the vendor and server git's need to be on the correct branch.

cd vendor
git checkout public/7.7
cd ../server
git checkout public/7.7
cd ../platforms
git checkout public/7.7
5. If you are using a branch earlier than 7.8 Edit the "buildme.sh" script to get ffmpeg to build properly for amd64. This is most easily done via git

cd ../vendor
git cherry-pick 1c0eaf4b5d
The commit that starts with 1c0eaf4b5d is one that fixes the ffmpeg build problem. If you cannot successfully cherry-pick - then you are going to have to manually change the contents of buildme.sh. Take a look at the commit to figure out what it changed: https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver- ... 7724b10018

6. You will also need to modify buildme.sh by hand to support whatever version of perl you have. You can determine your perl version with:

perl -v
In my case, the response I want is in the parenthesis (v5.14.2).

cd vendor/CPAN
nano buildme.sh
Around line 144, you will need to add another "if" before the if [ PERL_514 ]. Note, once we move on to perl 5.15 or whatever, this step might become more and more complicated.

if [ -x  "/usr/local/bin/perl5.14.2" ]; then
    PERL_514=/usr/local/bin/perl5.14.2
fi
Once completed, press Ctrl+X to exit, Y to save, and Enter to keep the name the same.

7. Now you are ready to bash the build script (it takes a while)

bash buildme.sh
Once it is done, you should have a directory called build/arch/5.14/amd64-freebsd. Note that a folder should be created for whatever version of perl you built with. If all you wanted was to modify a tarball you already downloaded, then you can just copy that arch/5.14 folder into the slimserver install's CPAN/arch location.

If you want to keep going down into the rabbit's hole, then here are the steps to roll up your own tarball.

1. If you are using a branch earlier than 7.8 Edit the "buildme.pl" script to avoid a build error. This is most easily done via git

cd ../platforms
git cherry-pick 81d43827b2
The commit that starts with 81d43827b2 is one that fixes the build error. If you cannot successfully cherry-pick - then you are going to have to manually change the contents of buildme.pl. Take a look at the commit to figure out what it changed: https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver- ... 0927841fb0

2. When you're ready to build the tarball:

perl buildme.pl --build tarball --freebsd --buildDir /tmp/sqbuild --sourceDir {location of sources} --destDir /usr/local/MySqueezeboxServerDists
(Of course, you need a tmp and destination directory.

3. The last step is to install the tarball you just made. I used Ian's script: http://www.xenopsyche.com/ip/lms/install.sh you need to download that script, squeezeboxserver.tpl, and place them in a directory that contains your tarball. Then

sh install.sh logitechmediaserver-blah-blah.tgz
Now the installation is just like the others. You will need to install some transcoders using the package system:

pkg_add -r gettext sox faad2 mpc wavpack flac
Then you can download a tarball I rolled with the symlinks you need, along with a pretty recent version of lame: http://www.xenopsyche.net/mkempe

Enjoy!

Credits/Acknowledgements:
The 64 bit ffmpeg build fix was not found by me - credit belongs with user rbouqueau at the gpac forums: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpac/fo ... ic/4481795
The tarball rolling steps were developed by Ian Pallfreeman, and made available on his website and at the slimdevices forum: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... eBSD/page2
Overall assistance with the build process came from user neflyte at the slimdevices forum:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... -artifacts
Last edited by fsbruva on 19 May 2013 21:05, edited 4 times in total.

rocket
Starter
Starter

Post by rocket »

woo! thanks!

I'll be trying this later this week.
older system:
10tb pool

shiny new system:
12gb RAM

BodgeIT
Starter
Starter

Post by BodgeIT »

OMG, too good to be true. LMS 7.7.3 looks to be the best, most stable as far as I can tell although some are swearing by 7.5!
Like jistme I don't speak abacadabrian and struggle sometimes to keep up with the lingo. But I can follow instructions when required.
Thanks for the writeup.
NAS4Free: 11.4.0.4 - (7682) amd64-embedded
Mobo: Supermicro X9SCL-F, CPU: Xeon E3-1230v2; RAM: Crucial 32GB ECC
System: IBM M1015it SAS controller(SAS2008 v20); Intel Dual 1Gb Server Nic; Thermaltake 1KW PSU;

Storage: Raidz1(3x Toshiba N300 6TB), Raidz1(3x WD Red 3TB), UFS(1x 1TB) Utility disk, ZFS Cache(64Gb SSD)

jistme

Post by jistme »

That looks like some very impressive work and a very extensive 'tutorial' from fsbruva.
I'm not sure I comprehend the current status though.
Is there still some development going on to have an easier way of installing Logitech Media Server for laymen like me (comparable with how it was to install SlimNAS on FreeNAS 0.7) , or is this it?
(I don't feel capable to carry out all instructions from fsbruva's post)

Return to “Extensions / Add-ons”