*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-05: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7509 - released

*New 11.3 series Release:
2020-04-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7509 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

SlimNAS on NAS4Free

XigmaNAS Extensions / Add-ons

Moderator: crest

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: SlimNAS on NAS4Free

Post by cookiemonster »

jistme you will need console access to do this. To become root you simply type su and you'll be prompted for the password. That will be the password you setup for the superuser if you changed it, otherwise the default is nas4free I think. You can do most of this from the UI but the interactivity is not quite there, so you'll find it frustrating.
You really should get console access. I suggest you create a new thread for this issue in the appropriate section and we'll see what that is.
Main: Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS on Supermicro X8DT3. zroot on mirrorred pair of CRUCIAL_CT64M225. Memory: 72GB ECC; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 Tb in raidZ1, 1 x 3 Tb SAS drive as single stripe.
Spare1: HP DL580 G5; 128 GB ECC RAM; 4 CPU; 8 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare2: HP DL360 G7; 6 GB ECC RAM; 1 Xeon CPU; 5 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare3: HP DL380 G7; 24 GB ECC RAM; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; 8 x 500 GB disks on IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

cookiemonster wrote:Hi Stuarty. I followed post #117 to install lms on a 10.3 jail inside a 10.3.0.3 nas4free nas as well. Wonder if you can give me a pointer or two.
All complete and lms starts but going to the lms UI: Advanced > File Types, I got a message somewhre that lame was not installed.
I did a make install clean from /usr/ports/audio/lame in the jail, all good.
I replaced the faad binary in the jais' /usr/local/bin/ with one of the logitech's precompiled ones for unix-noCPAN. A nigtly 7.9. The reason is I have some music in apple lossless format (some of my brother's music - no choice there). In the past replacing the binary file has solved the problems. Not this time.
I still get an error trying to play apple uncompressed files: error in lms log is "decoder does not support the file format". Issuing faad in a shell gives me "ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found, error 8". I've found the file in /libexec/ in the jail. There is also a link in /usr/libexec pointing to it.
With this as background, would you mind sharing why merging the built lms with noCPAN? I'm thinking, could it be possible to have overridden logitech's faad and it's dependency when merging?
This is now solved. And for anyone who like me needs to be able to use the logitech-patched version of faad, the solution is to once the setup is comple as per Stuarty's instructions, to go to the faad2 directory inside your jail in usr/local/lms/slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/faad2. There run the buildme-linux.sh script. On successful build there'll be a compressed directory with the binary. You then move the binary to /usr/local/bin in your jail.
Main: Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS on Supermicro X8DT3. zroot on mirrorred pair of CRUCIAL_CT64M225. Memory: 72GB ECC; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 Tb in raidZ1, 1 x 3 Tb SAS drive as single stripe.
Spare3: HP DL380 G7; 24 GB ECC RAM; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; 8 x 500 GB disks on IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT

jistme

Post by jistme »

thnx cookiemonster
It seems my n4f installation is a bit corrupt. Even when I try to change it's basic password in the gui, it presents some 'error 1' code, while it still seems accepted, since I can then log into the gui with the new password. But not with Putty.
I'll reinstall n4f, and find or create a dedicated topic for this issue if it doesn't resolve it.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

cookiemonster wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:Hi Stuarty. I followed post #117 to install lms on a 10.3 jail inside a 10.3.0.3 nas4free nas as well. Wonder if you can give me a pointer or two.
All complete and lms starts but going to the lms UI: Advanced > File Types, I got a message somewhre that lame was not installed.
I replaced the faad binary in the jais' /usr/local/bin/ with one of the logitech's precompiled ones for unix-noCPAN. A nigtly 7.9. The reason is I have some music in apple lossless format (some of my brother's music - no choice there). In the past replacing the binary file has solved the problems. Not this time.
I still get an error trying to play apple uncompressed files: error in lms log is "decoder does not support the file format". Issuing faad in a shell gives me "ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found, error 8". I've found the file in /libexec/ in the jail. There is also a link in /usr/libexec pointing to it.
With this as background, would you mind sharing why merging the built lms with noCPAN? I'm thinking, could it be possible to have overridden logitech's faad and it's dependency when merging?
This is now solved. And for anyone who like me needs to be able to use the logitech-patched version of faad, the solution is to once the setup is comple as per Stuarty's instructions, to go to the faad2 directory inside your jail in usr/local/lms/slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/faad2. There run the buildme-linux.sh script. On successful build there'll be a compressed directory with the binary. You then move the binary to /usr/local/bin in your jail.
Actually not solved yet. Faad now works from command line, hence I thought was all good. Still failing from lms. Investigating.

jistme

Post by jistme »

back again with a clean installed 10.3.0.3.2964
I can now enter console through Putty again.
The jail is installed and working.

But now I run into this problem;
When I look at this code (post#117):

I am assuming I shouldn't copy and paste that code all at once, but parts in sequence?

When I then start with the first line (pkg) I get this error:

root@jail1:/usr/local/lms # pkg
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest, please wait...
pkg: Error fetching http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64 ... st/pkg.txz: No address record
A pre-built version of pkg could not be found for your system.
Consider changing PACKAGESITE or installing it from ports: 'ports-mgmt/pkg'.

i am clueless how to solve this. Help please?

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

the package manager "pkg" might not be installed yet. Follow Stuarty's post # 99 from the line "Now become root in the jail and set up the environment."

jistme

Post by jistme »

Ok, so if I understand correctly, that means I should get root entry in the jail, and then from post #99 execute:

mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos

and then

ee /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

But after I have done that, the terminal then looks like this, and I notice there are two duplicate parts starting with
"FreeBSD: {
url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",":

Code: Select all

login as: root
root@192.168.2.100's password:
Last login: Mon Oct 10 13:57:09 2016 from 192.168.2.2
Welcome to NAS4Free!
nas4free: ~# jexec jail1 csh
root@jail1:/ # mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
root@jail1:/ # ee /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
^[ (escape) menu ^y search prompt ^k delete line   ^p prev li     ^g prev page
^o ascii code    ^x search        ^l undelete line ^n next li     ^v next page
^u end of file   ^a begin of line ^w delete word   ^b back 1 char ^z next word
^t top of text   ^e end of line   ^r restore word  ^f forward char
^c command       ^d delete char   ^j undelete char              ESC-Enter: exit
=====line 1 col 0 lines from top 1 ============================================
FreeBSD: {
        url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
        mirror_type: "srv",
        signature_type: "none",
        fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
        enabled: yes
      }

file "/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf", 9 lines
===============================================================================
=====line 1 col 0 lines from top 1 ============================================
FreeBSD: {
        url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
        mirror_type: "srv",
        signature_type: "none",
        fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
        enabled: yes
      }

I then exit/save by pressing [Esc]+[Enter]
Then I enter 'pkg', but I get the same error as before:

root@jail1:/ # pkg
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest, please wait...
pkg: Error fetching http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest/Latest/pkg.txz: No address record
A pre-built version of pkg could not be found for your system.
Consider changing PACKAGESITE or installing it from ports: 'ports-mgmt/pkg'.
So, still very lost...

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

could it be you can't get out to the internet from the jail? The error part:

pkg: Error fetching http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest/Latest/pkg.txz: No address record
suggests that.
Check you can get out to open internet.
Post #118 (I think) shows a slightly different way you might want to try, using portsnap (also needs internet from jail).

jistme

Post by jistme »

I made some progress. Starting all over again, I now succeeded with the portsnap, and the pkg bits. Lots of downloading and installing going on.

But now the next stop for me is here, where the tutorial says:

"Edit 'buildme.sh', change 'RUN_TESTS=1' to 'RUN_TESTS=0'. Make the following symbolic links so that the buildme.sh script can find the installed packages."

But my console looks like this, and I see no 'RUN_TESTS=1' I could edit?

EDIT:

Because I got stuck here, I thought to use the file editor in the n4f gui, found and opened the buildme.sh file and added:

ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc49 /usr/bin/gcc
ln -s /usr/local/bin/g++49 /usr/bin/g++
ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.20.3 /usr/bin/perl
ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.20.3 /usr/bin/perl5
at the bottom.

(I just noticed that because of the scroll-bar in the console screenshot above, I wrongly assumed that the whole content was showing, but in fact you can scroll down (a lot) and I probably should have added the above code there, instead of doing it through file editor as I have done now)

Anyway, next stop:
Now trying to execute ./buildme.sh | tee /usr/local/lms/buildme.sh.log
results in this error:

What am I doing wrong here?

(I hope you are not getting tired of me...)

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

says gcc is not installed, but you said you did. That is contained in the block "pkg install -y packagename1 packagename2 .. gcc49"
There gcc49 would install gcc (version 49, or 4.9 to be precise). Then you created a link in the system with "ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc49 /usr/bin/gcc" to say if something call gcc go to gcc49 that I have (like an alias).
So when you get a message that is not installed, you have to check that either the installation not succeeded or the link.
What happens when you do: gcc -v
It should give you the version installed if it is.
Or "pkg info gcc49"

jistme

Post by jistme »

Just in case it wasn't obvious, I have no actual understanding of FreeBSD, or the commands I am executing.
And yet enjoying NAS4Free for many years now ;-)
Trying not to touch it as soon as everything works.

I believe the installation of gcc went well.
I just now ran "pkg instal etc. etc." again, and the output seems to indicate no problems?
If I then run your suggested "gcc -v" the command is not recognized:

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

type rehash and try again please

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

gcc -v should give an output like:

root@Slimnas:/ # gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/local/libexec/gcc49/gcc/x86_64-portbld-freebsd10.1/4.9.4/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-portbld-freebsd10.1
Configured with: /wrkdirs/usr/ports/lang/gcc49/work/gcc-4.9.4/configure --with-build-config=bootstrap-debug --disable-nls --enable-gnu-indirect-function --libdir=/usr/local/lib/gcc49 --libexecdir=/usr/local/libexec/gcc49 --program-suffix=49 --with-as=/usr/local/bin/as --with-gmp=/usr/local --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/local/lib/gcc49/include/c++/ --with-ld=/usr/local/bin/ld --with-pkgversion='FreeBSD Ports Collection' --with-system-zlib --with-ecj-jar=/usr/local/share/java/ecj-4.5.jar --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,fortran,java --prefix=/usr/local --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/local/man --infodir=/usr/local/info/gcc49 --build=x86_64-portbld-freebsd10.1
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.9.4 (FreeBSD Ports Collection)

jistme

Post by jistme »

b.t.w., am I doing this in the correct directory?

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

yes, it shouldn't matter where you do it. At this point I'd consider restarting the jail. I have no explanation for the action, but otherwise its about looking into all sorts of logs. Out of interest, what happens if you attempt to install gcc on its own?
pkg install gcc49
Also, you said you made a mistake adding the linking commands to the script before realising there was more if you scrolled. You removed those commands from the script, right?

jistme

Post by jistme »

cookiemonster wrote:Also, you said you made a mistake adding the linking commands to the script before realising there was more if you scrolled. You removed those commands from the script, right?
No, once I had entered the lines through file editor in the gui, I didn't dare to touch that again, and I also didn't dare to run previous console commands again.
I'll restart the jail and nas4free altogether and see what happens then. If there is no improvement still, I will probably remove the whole jail, clean install it again, and start all over following the instructions again with lessons learned.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

those commands are NOT meant to be in the script, they need to come out. They link the installed packages to where the script needs them. Think of a link in freebsd as a shortcut in windows. Is a pointer to where to find something. You need to undo putting them in the script, regardless of method used.

jistme

Post by jistme »

Thanx for today cookiemonster!
I am calling it a day for now.

When I give it a new try with a new jail soon, for my understanding;
these 4 lines:

ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc49 /usr/bin/gcc
ln -s /usr/local/bin/g++49 /usr/bin/g++
ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.20.3 /usr/bin/perl
ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.20.3 /usr/bin/perl5

Should I paste them at the bottom of the console (from my first printscreen from post #130), and save that? And then execute:
./buildme.sh | tee /usr/local/lms/buildme.sh.log
(at which moment I am in the CPAN folder if I am correct)

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

You put them in the console, not inside any script. Just follow the post you were following when you started, that was the only error.

jistme

Post by jistme »

Will do.
A question about following the instructions that I am not quite confident about;
For example, if you look at these two code fields:

If I have a correct sense of it, these two code windows contain more than one instruction.
Can I still select "select all", and copy and paste the whole window in the terminal and run it, or should I discern the separate lines, and perform them one by one?

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

cookiemonster wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Actually not solved yet. Faad now works from command line, hence I thought was all good. Still failing from lms. Investigating.
Finally solved. Notes for future reference.
First, faad as before = logitech's patched version of faad installed.

Second, logitech's patched version of flac would not build in a jail. I couldn't get past

config.status: executing depfiles commands
Making install in doc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/local/lms/slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/flac/flac-1.2.1
even after installing docbook-to-man package.
I downloaded the source from flac's site and after many failures trying to build including the lms patches included in the build, I tried to build the plain vanilla flac to see if that succeeded but no. Had to check libogg was installed first, then had to install automake, pkg-conf, libtool. Managed to configure only. Make would still fail. Gave up. Installed flac from pkg i.e. used repo's flac without logitech's patches.
I should probably log a ticket to see why that is, but seems to need to go to flac and is a jail. Might have to go in circles for a bit. Later.

Third, changed logging level to DEBUG on formats.audio, os.files and os.paths and I saw Slim::Utils::Misc::findbin (102) Looking for executable: [wvunpack] on all the different bin paths. Not found.
Built wvunpack from the slimserver-vendor-public-7.9 directory. Simply running the build.sh script. This succeeded and outputted the wvunpack binary. Copied it to /usr/local/bin. Noticed the error still there when playing the music file but there was now an option in the File Types part of the UI in the dropdown to change from Native to Disabled for Apple Lossless. Changed to Disabled and Flac=faad.sox, MP3=faad/lame, PCM=faad and now the files can be played. Checked fast forwarding seems to work.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

jistme wrote:Will do.
A question about following the instructions that I am not quite confident about;
For example, if you look at these two code fields:

If I have a correct sense of it, these two code windows contain more than one instruction.
Can I still select "select all", and copy and paste the whole window in the terminal and run it, or should I discern the separate lines, and perform them one by one?
Only the block from pkg install -y ...to... gcc49 as a block. Everything else, line by line. Each line is one command.
So pkg first command,
rm /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf is the second, (I would instead do mv /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf_backup ; rm will delete and you can't get it back. mv will rename it only.)
pkg install -y ... to ...gcc49 you can copy and paste - this will download and install all these packages.
rehash is the last command. Tells the shell to reload its information of installed packages.

Then the next block from Get LMS again do it line by line. You can copy and paste them but do it one by one, waiting for each command line to complete.

jistme

Post by jistme »

Thnx for explaining. I see that I did that right though.
These code fields might be a little bit confusing for less experienced users. Especially with a lot of content you have to look good to see where one command stops and another one begins.

And now for something completely different....

I started again with a clean jail.
Following the instruction, and as one of the first steps entering:
"portsnap fetch extract"
I see an enormous amount of downloading happening.
The console scrolls very fast, but I see stuff coming by such as: fonts, themes, languages, games, etc. etc.
After it's completed, I checked the folder size, and the 'usr' folder has an enormous size, containing all sorts of files and folders that I can't imagine having any purpose for using slimnas:

Surely this can can't be right?

jistme

Post by jistme »

And the next observation:

When I continue, after performing the 'pkg' command, I notice a line saying: "pkg: not enough arguments"
Could that be an issue?

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

jistme your questions would be best answered reading a bit of background about FreeBSD and how to install software, start on this link https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports.html. I suggest having a read and coming back with a bit more of the basic knowledge required, it will make more sense as you go through the steps.
Last edited by cookiemonster on 13 Oct 2016 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

jistme

Post by jistme »

Thnx cookiemonster, I will try if it is possible to educate myself a bit in this area.
(this will be a challenge for an experienced but probably rusty Windows user ;-)

But more on-topic to this thread, and cut-to-the-chase:
Can I assume that both issues I noticed are not a problem for installing slimnas?
1. The enormous sized usr folder is o.k. and to be accepted
2. I shouldn't worry about the line "pkg: not enough arguments"

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

wow, does it say the /usr directory is 233 GB in size. That looks wrong. In my system /usr/ is 2.1 Gb and /usr/ports/ is 515 MB. You can find out your with "du -sh /usr/" and "du -sh /usr/ports/". I expect that will be different to what you see on that screenshot. Might be a windows thing.
pkg: not enough arguments is not to worry about.

jistme

Post by jistme »

Yeah, the "size on disk" is probably a Windows thingy (different filesystem etc.)
The result of executing your commands is similar with the sizes you mention:

Still, I was a bit alarmed about the more than 2GB it indeed seems to occupy. That's quite a lot.
And it seemed a bit weird having almost a quarter of a million files and 44.000 folders after executing this single command.
90% percent of those are probably not needed for this purpose at all?
Never mind, if it will get me to get my Squeezeboxes working nicely again anytime soon I'll accept it and move on...

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster »

you have downloaded the ports collection, have a look at the link. Yes when you did portsnap fetch extract you got the whole ports collection. So yes, is the whole of it and that's why there are so many files. And you are right, most are not needed in your case.

jistme

Post by jistme »

I am not complaining.
Just trying to help myself, perhaps some other not-freebsd-savvy users trying to follow these steps, and giving Stuarty some feedback on his much appreciated tutorial.

You say I downloaded the 'ports collection'.
Are you suggesting it might be possible to download and install a more lean-and-mean portsnap which would be sufficient for getting slimnas to work?
Or perhaps deleting not needed folders such as 'games' afterwards to reclaim some wasted disk space?

Return to “Extensions / Add-ons”