*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

SlimNAS on NAS4Free

XigmaNAS Extensions / Add-ons

Moderator: crest

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
jistme

Re: SlimNAS on NAS4Free

Post by jistme » 15 Oct 2016 22:58

I'm making progress, but got stuck again further down the road:

When the tutorial says to enter:
cd /slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build
the response is that there is no such file or directory.

I improvised, and entered 'cd build', which seems to get the right result?

The next four commands go well, but then it goes wrong again, saying the nightly .tgz can not be found.
Is that one already obsolete? is there perhaps another working link or newer file?

EDIT,

I think I found a working link:
fetch http://downloads-origin.slimdevices.com ... noCPAN.tgz

next round...

jistme

Post by jistme » 15 Oct 2016 23:18

Next stop:

Performing: "chown root:wheel /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms"
results in: "no such file or directory".

jistme

Post by jistme » 27 Oct 2016 19:37

Anybody got a clue to help me over the finish-line here?
It feels like I am so close to getting it to work finally ...

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 27 Oct 2016 22:04

jistme, let me suggest again to familiarise with basic commands.
For this, what is happening is you are currently at the path /usr/local/lms and you are saying change the ownership to user lms and group wheel to the file or directory "lms" in the path /usr/local/etc/rc.d/. The response was that it could not do it because the file or directory was not found.
If the steps had been followed, it should be found. Maybe by improvising before, your paths are now slightly different. Nobody can tell what your paths are, hence knowing what the steps do is important.
So you need to find where lms is.
Edit:
I've just gone back a couple of pages and this step is needed depending on the method. They are slightly different on different posts by stuarty.
Anyhow, what do you get if you list your contents of /usr/local/etc/ and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
I'm looking for where lms file is.
Main: Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS on Supermicro X8DT3. zroot on mirrorred pair of CRUCIAL_CT64M225. Memory: 24GB ECC; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 Tb in raidZ1, 1 x 3 Tb SAS drive as single stripe.
Spare1: HP DL580 G5; 128 GB ECC RAM; 4 CPU; 8 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare2: HP DL360 G7; 6 GB ECC RAM; 1 Xeon CPU; 5 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare3: HP DL380 G7; 24 GB ECC RAM; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; 8 x 500 GB disks on IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT

jistme

Post by jistme » 28 Oct 2016 10:36

Thanks for being gentle and patient ;-)

What I was trying to prevent, was improvising.
Trying to play 'dumb' on purpose and just follow the exact steps as laid out by stuarty.
While I am beginning to get a grasp of the commands and structures in play here, I am extremely hesitant to change one single parameter from the commands in the tutorial(s). It might get me as step further here and there, but I am afraid that any deviation from the instructions might have unexpected repercussions further down the road, which would be even more difficult for me to grasp or to fix.

From my screenshot in post #152 I did notice something strange with locations of files and folders.
The second line mentions: / usr/ local/ etc /rc.d/ lms
Yet, at that moment in time there is no folder 'lms' under 'rc.d'
The only folder 'lms' I can find is directly located under / usr/ local
I do understand that is probably the issue here, but again, I am extremely hesitant to deviate from the instructions, since I don't have insight in possible effects or repercussions down the road, or possible negative effects while running slimnas later on that might be a result of me having 'improvised' when installing all this.

To give you an insight in my lack of understanding this specific issue that stopped me now, is that I have no idea if some files or folders are now residing in 'wrong' locations and should be relocated, or that I would only have to point the chown command to existing locations.

Experimenting with such issues usually don't end well for me, and I have to start all over again, which I have done many times now.

These are the contents of both folders you asked about:

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 28 Oct 2016 11:55

ok, the improvisation has obviously changed the paths. That prevents continuing following instructions to the letter, since it won't match your setup now. It might be ok if you're at the very end. What's the post you're following as instructions, and where are you stuck?
Main: Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS on Supermicro X8DT3. zroot on mirrorred pair of CRUCIAL_CT64M225. Memory: 24GB ECC; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 Tb in raidZ1, 1 x 3 Tb SAS drive as single stripe.
Spare3: HP DL380 G7; 24 GB ECC RAM; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; 8 x 500 GB disks on IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT

jistme

Post by jistme » 28 Oct 2016 12:54

I executed all the steps from post #116. (hm, that used to be post#117, some earlier post must have been removed)

There were two instances where I got stuck and had to improvise and do it slightly different. I mention these two in my post #151.
Could the first issue (changing the "cd /slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build" part) perhaps have caused the current problem or be an indication of the issue?

The part where I am stranded now is exactly as I described in post #152
I have not touched anything after that.

edit:
B.t.w., if this presents the choice between trying to fix some current installation error vs. starting all over again with slightly changed instructions, I think I would prefer the latter.

It might also help other less-savvy users who want to install slimnas to have a well tested and proven step-by-step tutorial that's completely solid.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 28 Oct 2016 22:49

jistme wrote:I executed all the steps from post #116. (hm, that used to be post#117, some earlier post must have been removed)

There were two instances where I got stuck and had to improvise and do it slightly different. I mention these two in my post #151.
Could the first issue (changing the "cd /slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build" part) perhaps have caused the current problem or be an indication of the issue?
No, you were changing directory and were already two levels below, so the path didn't resolve. You got there, that's fine.
jistme wrote: The part where I am stranded now is exactly as I described in post #152
I have not touched anything after that.
jistme wrote: edit:
B.t.w., if this presents the choice between trying to fix some current installation error vs. starting all over again with slightly changed instructions, I think I would prefer the latter.
There might not need to do that although it would not hurt if it allows you to look and understand what your doing step by step.
jistme wrote: It might also help other less-savvy users who want to install slimnas to have a well tested and proven step-by-step tutorial that's completely solid.
It is proven and solid, but things move. The bit that has thrown you off-piste is the download, those can change as they are 3rd party repositories.
Having looked back at what you've done, I suspect the you can't do that step you're stuck on because you have not created the file. I suspect it because it can be a bit tricky. I remember when I did it I even had to get a md5'd file, so I'd expect you'd need some help with that.
So, back to the point; can you confirm you followed the bit just before, something along the lines of "create your rc.d file just like before". So before you can chmod a file, it needs to exist. The message that it does not exist is pretty clear.
Go back to the post, and see that is referencing a previous one "..like before". Go back to find the previous post it refers to, and you'll see there's a link to where/how to create the file.

Stuarty
Starter
Starter

Post by Stuarty » 07 Nov 2016 00:24

Been away for a bit. I installed a new LMS tonight just to see if it worked. I have nas4free 10.3.0.3 with TheBrig 0.94. The jail is 10.3 release 5.

Basically I did almost everything as before but had to install and link to an older version of perl. This might cause trouble in the future if there are package updates. So, I created a new jail and added packages. Almost all of the lines below should be entered one at a time.

Code: Select all

portsnap fetch extract
mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
ee /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
The lines below should be entered into the new file created by ee. Add the file, save and exit.

FreeBSD: {
        url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
        mirror_type: "srv",
        signature_type: "none",
        fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
        enabled: yes
      }
Install the packages. I needed to add perl 5.22 because the regular perl now in 10.3 seems to be perl 5.24 and LMS has not yet been updated to deal with 5.24. The list of packages can be installed all in one go but the other lines should be entered individually.

pkg
rm /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf
pkg update -f && pkg upgrade
pkg install -y perl5.22 bash git gmake nasm rsync nano p5-DBI p5-EV p5-XML-Parser p5-HTML-Parser p5-JSON-XS p5-Digest-SHA1 p5-YAML-LibYAML p5-Sub-Name p5-Audio-Scan p5-Image-Scale p5-DBD-SQLite p5-Class-XSAccessor p5-Template-Toolkit p5-IO-Interface sox mac faad2 libgd p5-Cpanel-JSON-XS p5-DBI screen gcc49
rehash
Now, get LMS

mkdir /usr/local/lms
cd /usr/local/lms
git clone https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor.git
cd slimserver-vendor
ls -al
cd CPAN
ls -al
cp buildme.sh buildme.sh.original
nano buildme.sh
Edit 'buildme.sh', change 'RUN_TESTS=1' to 'RUN_TESTS=0'. Make the following symbolic links so that the buildme.sh script can find the installed packages. Note that I'm linking to perl 5.22.3. If at some point in the future I do 'pkg update' and upgrade will this make a difference?

ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc49 /usr/bin/gcc
ln -s /usr/local/bin/g++49 /usr/bin/g++
ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.22.3 /usr/bin/perl
ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.22.3 /usr/bin/perl5
Build with the following; it worked for me.

./buildme.sh | tee /usr/local/lms/buildme.sh.log
Here comes the new bit. Image::Scale has been updated so we need to copy both the newly built Scale.so and Scale.pm. Otherwise we get Scale.so version 0.11 but Scale.pm version 0.08.

cd slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build
tar cf /usr/local/lms/arch.tar arch/
cd /usr/local/lms/slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build/5.20/lib/perl5/amd64-freebsd-thread-multi/Image
tar cf /usr/local/lms/Scale11.tar *
cd /usr/local/lms
Fetch an appropriate noCPAN nightly. I got:

fetch http://downloads-origin.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/43a5d7e/logitechmediaserver-7.9.0-1477086729-noCPAN.tgz
tar xzf logitechmediaserver-7.9.0-1477086729-noCPAN.tgz
Combine newly built files with noCPAN.

mv logitechmediaserver-7.9.0-1477086729-noCPAN/* .
tar xf arch.tar -C /usr/local/lms/CPAN/
mv /usr/local/lms/CPAN/Image/Scale.pm /usr/local/lms/CPAN/Image/_Scale.pm
cd /usr/local/lms/
tar xf Scale11.tar -C /usr/local/lms/CPAN/Image/
Everything else is as before.

pw groupadd -n lms -g 30001
pw useradd -n lms -u 30001 -g lms -s /usr/sbin/nologin -c "Logitech Media Server" -d /nonexistent
Add the rc.d script as before

nano /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms
Set permissions and ownership and start.

chown -R lms:lms /usr/local/lms
chown root:wheel /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms
chmod 555 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms
echo 'lms_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
Before running 'service lms onestart' you need to be sure that you've added a mount point in the jail for your media files and fstab line in the jail config.
After starting LMS here's what I get finally.

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1477086729 @ Mon Oct 31 04:08:43 UTC 2016
Operating system: freebsd - EN - UTF-8
Platform Architecture: amd64-freebsd
Perl Version: 5.22.3 - amd64-freebsd-thread-multi
Audio::Scan: 0.95
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Basically, apart from the perl fudge, it's working as before.

jistme

Post by jistme » 07 Nov 2016 17:00

Welcome back Stuarty, and thanks for the refresh!
I gathered my courage and gave it a new shot.

Following your latest tutorial to the letter, there were two occasions I initially got stuck:

Where it says:

cd slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build
that results in 'No such file or directory' for me.
Instead I then entered:

CD build
and that worked.

And then where it says:

cd /usr/local/lms/slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build/5.20/lib/perl5/amd64-freebsd-thread-multi/Image
I also got that error, but after changing it to:

cd 5.22/lib/perl5/amd64-freebsd-thread-multi/Image
I could continue. (note the 5.22 instead of 5.20)

But now I am stuck at the part where it says: Add the rc.d script as before.
When I enter:

nano /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms
I get a rather empty looking console, with a couple of commands at the bottom.
Making a guess, I selected 'Write Out'.
That results in this:

When I then press [Enter] (another guess), at the bottom its says [ Wrote 0 lines ]

I am guessing this is not going well, what am I doing wrong here?

(sorry, also to cookiemonster for being such a lousy student ;-)

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 07 Nov 2016 20:42

welcome back stuarty.
jistme - no need to apolosgise, we're all learning here.
You're missing what stuarty wrote a few posts back how to create the file. When he writes nano /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms he means (as he instructed before with his reference "as before"), that with that command you'll create an empty file called lms in that path. He explained before what it needs to contain. Posts 113, 107 and 98:

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script is a slightly modified version with hardcoded values of:
# $FreeBSD: branches/RELENG_9_2_0/audio/squeezeboxserver/files/squeezeboxserver.in 302141 2012-08-05 23:19:36Z dougb $
#

# PROVIDE: lms
# REQUIRE: LOGIN
# KEYWORD: shutdown

#
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf to enable lms:
#
#lms_enable="YES"
#

. /etc/rc.subr

name=lms
start_precmd="lms_start_precmd"
stop_postcmd="lms_stop_postcmd"
rcvar=lms_enable

command=/usr/local/lms/slimserver.pl
command_interpreter=/usr/bin/perl
pidfile=/var/run/${name}/${name}.pid
logdir=/var/log/${name}
statedir=/var/db/${name}
cachedir=${statedir}/cache
prefsdir=${statedir}/prefs
playlistdir=${statedir}/playlists
charset=UTF-8
u=lms
g=lms
command_args="--daemon --pidfile=${pidfile} --logdir=${logdir} --cachedir=${cachedir} --prefsdir=${prefsdir} --charset=${charset}"
lms_user=${u}
lms_group=${g}

lms_start_precmd()
{
    # This is stuff is here and not in pkg-install because
    # /var/run may be destroyed at any time and we've had issues
    # with permissions on the various directories under /var getting
    # screwed up in the past.

mkdir -p /var/run/${name}
    chown -RH ${u}:${g} /var/run/${name}

mkdir -p ${logdir}
    chown -RH ${u}:${g} ${logdir}

mkdir -p ${statedir}
    mkdir -p ${cachedir}
    mkdir -p ${prefsdir}
    mkdir -p ${playlistdir}
    chown -RH ${u}:${g} ${statedir}
    export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
}

lms_stop_postcmd()
{
    pids=`pgrep -u $u`
    if [ -n "${pids}" ]; then
        sleep 1
        kill $pids > /dev/null 2>&1
    fi
    pids=`pgrep -u $u`
        wait_for_pids $pids
    fi
}

load_rc_config ${name}

lms_enable=${lms_enable:-"NO"}
lms_flags=${lms_flags:-""}

run_rc_command "$1"

jistme

Post by jistme » 08 Nov 2016 13:03

Ah, thnx. I think I succeeded in doing that now too.

In full anticipation I now finally managed to advance to running the final command: 'service lms onestart' ....

But (of course :evil: ) my tribulations have not ended yet...
LMS won't start.
The console produces an error message which gives me no clue: Unmatched ".

I have done some searching on that error, but can't find anything useful.
But it seems to be related to a possible syntax error?

This is what my console now looks like after having executed the final five commands:

(The jail seems to be running well, the fstab music folder was also created and is populated, and the folder/file structure seems correct?)

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 09 Nov 2016 20:31

yes, that's a syntax error. I can't see any unmatched double quotes there. It might have a extraneous one by mistake during a copy and paste, or when typing it in.
Verify that they match, and see any single quotes are correct. I.e haven't been changed to slanted ones. That can happen when forum software presents them.
If all that checks out, then go back to those posts and get the contents of the script again from another one.

Edit:
This

command_args="--daemon --pidfile=${pidfile} --logdir=${logdir} --cachedir=${cachedir} --prefsdir=${prefsdir} --charset=${charset}"
needs to be one one line. If it gets split like on this forum where it wraps the line at -- and puts charset= on separate lines, then it gets a double quote on each line.

jistme

Post by jistme » 09 Nov 2016 20:58

I checked, but that was entered as one whole line.
F.y.i., I created a notepad++ file, with all the commands in sequence, so that I wouldn't have to find the correct posts with every new try, and I can easily correct found errors.
So if something went wrong with copy/paste, it would happen between Firefox > Notepad++, or after that between Notepad++ > PuTTY.

Could regional settings perhaps be a factor here?
I often have to edit Excel formula's to get them working correctly, changing , and . or : and ;

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 09 Nov 2016 23:12

No, regional settings won't be the reason. This is a syntax error.
I've compared with my lms script and is different and I recalled why. Instead of using the post I suggested, I had followed a previous post from Stuary. Post 97 in this thread. It takes you to his post on a different forum. I've followed it for you and I suggest you use that, it works for me.
Go to post 97 here, follow the link there to the other forum. That is a now-locked and superseded thread. Follow that new one. There on page 2 of 3, follow post #25 which is to address similar problems for people having white space and characters from copying and pasting. It gives you a base64 encoded file that once decoded will give you the exact contents. Not sure is fine in MS Windows but I don't use windows, so it might be more hassle than just file comparing as you are. Best of luck, not sure what else to suggest that is not techie.

jistme

Post by jistme » 10 Nov 2016 09:16

We really seem to be on to something here.
At first I hesitated to endeavor the base64 decode part, so I first thought to enter file editor in nas4free, and remove the white spaces from the lms file. (there were quite a few of those)
That didn't help though. (but perhaps I did not do the removals perfectly)

Then I did try your suggestion for the base64 decoded file from the freenas forum, and, YES! Slimnas is now running!

I only have one worry now. I see there are quite some differences between the one from Stuarty in this forum, and the one I used now.
For example; in Stuarty's there are some mkdir commands, which are absent from the lms file I used now.
It is probably working for me now, since I have run both, but if somebody would start from scratch and would only use the lms file from the other forum it would not work?

Anyway, many thanks for your fantastic assistance cookiemonster!

It might be handy for later experiments or investigations to have the two lms files I used side by side:

The one from Stuarty I used first and resulted in error.
(has been copied&pasted between firefox/notepad):

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script is a slightly modified version with hardcoded values of:
# $FreeBSD: branches/RELENG_9_2_0/audio/squeezeboxserver/files/squeezeboxserver.in 302141 2012-08-05 23:19:36Z dougb $
#

#
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf to enable lms:
#
#lms_enable="YES"
#

. /etc/rc.subr

name=lms
rcvar=lms_enable

logdir=/var/log/${name}
statedir=/var/db/${name}
cachedir=${statedir}/cache
prefsdir=${statedir}/prefs
playlistdir=${statedir}/playlists
charset=UTF-8
u=lms
g=lms
lms_user=${u}
lms_group=${g}

lms_start_precmd()
{
    # This is stuff is here and not in pkg-install because
    # /var/run may be destroyed at any time and we've had issues
    # with permissions on the various directories under /var getting
    # screwed up in the past.

mkdir -p /var/run/${name}
    chown -RH ${u}:${g} /var/run/${name}

mkdir -p ${logdir}
    chown -RH ${u}:${g} ${logdir}

mkdir -p ${statedir}
    mkdir -p ${cachedir}
    mkdir -p ${prefsdir}
    mkdir -p ${playlistdir}
    chown -RH ${u}:${g} ${statedir}
    export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
}

lms_stop_postcmd()
{
    pids=`pgrep -u $u`
        sleep 1
    fi
    pids=`pgrep -u $u`
        wait_for_pids $pids
    fi
}

load_rc_config ${name}

lms_enable=${lms_enable:-"NO"}
lms_flags=${lms_flags:-""}

run_rc_command "$1"
And the one I now used from the freenas forum which worked:

#!/bin/sh

# This script is a modified version of:

# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf to enable lms on startup:
# lms_enable="YES"

# Optional configuration parameters:
# Directory where lms writes it's logs to.
# lms_logdir="/var/log/lms"
#
# Directory where lms stores it's cache files.
# lms_cachedir="/var/db/lms/cache"
#
# Directory where lms stores it's configuration.
# lms_prefsdir="/var/db/lms/prefs"
#
# Directory where lms stores the playlists. THIS NEEDS TO BE CONFIGURED THROUGH THE UI.
# lms_playlistdir="/var/db/lms/playlists"
#
# Additional parameters, e.g. "--noimage --novideo"
# lms_flags=""
#
# The charset lms uses.
# lms_charset="UTF-8"
#
# The LC_CTYPE envvar which is necessary to get rid of the warning
# """
# Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.
# Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8.
# """
# See https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/logitech-media-server-for-freenas-9-2-1-1.19044/page-3#post-132872 
# lms_lc_ctype="en_US.UTF.8"

. /etc/rc.subr

name=lms
rcvar=lms_enable

lms_user=lms
lms_group=lms

load_rc_config ${name}

: ${lms_enable="NO"}
: ${lms_logdir="/var/log/${name}"}
: ${lms_cachedir="/var/db/${name}/cache"}
: ${lms_prefsdir="/var/db/${name}/prefs"}
: ${lms_playlistdir="/var/db/${name}/playlists"}
: ${lms_flags=""}
: ${lms_charset="UTF-8"}
: ${lms_lc_ctype="en_US.UTF-8"}

command_args="\
--daemon \
--pidfile=${pidfile} \
--logdir=${lms_logdir} \
--cachedir=${lms_cachedir} \
--prefsdir=${lms_prefsdir} \
--charset=${lms_charset} \
${lms_flags}"

lms_start_precmd()
{
	export LC_CTYPE="${lms_lc_ctype}"

if [ ! -d "${pidfile%/*}" ]; then	
		install -d -o ${lms_user} -g ${lms_group} ${pidfile%/*};
	fi

if [ ! -d "${lms_logdir}" ]; then
		install -d -o ${lms_user} -g ${lms_group} "${lms_logdir}";
	fi

if [ ! -d "${lms_cachedir}" ]; then
		install -d -o ${lms_user} -g ${lms_group} "${lms_cachedir}";
	fi

if [ ! -d "${lms_prefsdir}" ]; then
		install -d -o ${lms_user} -g ${lms_group} "${lms_prefsdir}";
	fi

if [ ! -d "${lms_playlistdir}" ]; then
		install -d -o ${lms_user} -g ${lms_group} "${lms_playlistdir}";
	fi
}

lms_stop_postcmd()
{
	pids=`pgrep -u ${lms_user}`
		sleep 1
	fi
	pids=`pgrep -u ${lms_user}`
		wait_for_pids $pids
	fi
}

run_rc_command "$1"
Hopefully Stuarty can have a look at this and perhaps make some changes to his lms code to straighten this out.

Stuarty
Starter
Starter

Post by Stuarty » 28 Nov 2016 22:06

So here's a summary of what and why. I make no great claims to understanding FreeBSD best practices nor promise that this is the best way to install LMS. It works for me consistently. I'm summarising because I thought it might make the steps more clear.

Required:
  • working nas4free
    working TheBrig
    working jail
Create a jail. We will need a fstab entry in the jail config that points the jail to your nas4free media directory, the directory we want LMS to scan and serve.

Create a jail and configure it to use pkg. Install lots of packages. The list of packages changes as the version of nas4free and FreeBSD changes. For instance, FreeBSD 10 stopped including GCC49 by default and so we have to install it as a package. Similarly as perl versions change it becomes necessary to install a standalone perl alongside the system perl. This might be a problem in a host system but in a jail that only really runs LMS it should not create problems.

Once the packages are installed we can download a github version of LMS (using git or as a zip file), alter the buildme file and build LMS. This builds CPAN modules appropriate for the host system, in our case the jail. Before building some symbolic links need to be created so that the buildme.sh can find gcc, g++ and an appropriate perl version.

Once the build has finished we combine a noCPAN nightly of LMS with the newly built modules, create a LMS user and group, add a rc.d script, set ownership and permissions and start.

The things I sometimes stumble on are:

Problems with the jail connecting to the internet. Sometimes this solves itself, sometimes I think it has to do with the config of the jail.

To find out which version of perl is appropriate I check the slimserver/CPAN/arch/on git (https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/ ... /CPAN/arch) to see what versions of perl are currently supported. Then I know which version of perl to install and to link to with the symbolic links.

When I start a newly built version of LMS it sometimes complains of mismatches with built perl files and those that come with the noCPAN nightly. When this happens I have to figure out which versions are needed and where to put them.

Copying and pasting in the rc.d script sometimes produces errors because white space is introduced. The slimnas forum script (included by jistme in post 166) is better and avoids this problem.

So, in the early posts in this thread are all the steps I use. Perhaps this is a process that can be automated with scripts but that's beyond me. My daily LMS is an April 2016 7.9 nightly, Perl 5.20.3, NAS4free 10.3.0.3. I've a working LMS nightly from October 2016 with Perl 5.22.3 too.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 28 Nov 2016 22:59

thanks Stuarty

Stuarty
Starter
Starter

Post by Stuarty » 30 Jan 2017 23:46

For what it's worth I've a new LMS working now: Nas4Free 11.0.0.4, FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p7, Perl 5.24.1, and a nightly from 30 January 2017. I followed the procedure described in post #116 and adjusted the paths to use perl 5.24.1. I've installed my usual list of plugins and it seems fine.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 31 Jan 2017 22:17

good to know for when we need to move to the 11 series of Nas4Free. Thanks.

Stuarty
Starter
Starter

Post by Stuarty » 25 Sep 2017 13:59

Here I am again. It's easier now than ever before to install LMS in a jail on nas4free. Create a jail, install some packages, download a nightly, build, move the built files into place, add a sym link and run. You can choose whether to build in one jail and run from another or just do everything in the same place. Using two jails might save some disk space.

I have NAS4Free 11.1.0.4.4619 (FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1) with perl 5.24.1 and LMS 7.9.1 from September 2017, SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1). The only problem is that I can't make .wma files play and I can't make the C-3PO plugin work. I don't have many wma files and I'll work on getting the C-3PO plugin working in the future.

I combined my previous guides in this thread with the information at https://audiodigitale.eu/?p=87 and it works for me.

I created a new jail with FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 started it and became root in the jail. Then I installed packages.

pkg
pkg update
pkg install unzip bash gmake rsync nasm libgd gcc perl5 automake libtool flac faad2 mac sox ffmpeg libiconv
I downloaded a nightly and files from git. The names of the nightly will change depending on when you do it of course. I did all this in /tmp

cd /tmp
fetch http://downloads-origin.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/d424bbe/logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-1505480690.tgz
fetch https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/archive/public/7.9.zip
If Fetch complains you can install a package, add a link and try again.

pkg install ca_root_nss
ln -s /usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt /etc/ssl/cert.pem

I unzipped and untarred, moved to the necessary directory and built. When it was finished I removed unneeded support for other perl versions. It just worked for me. No editing of the script, no sym linking GCC, just build.

unzip 7*
tar xjf l*
cd slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/CPAN
./buildme.sh -t | tee /tmp/build.log
cd /tmp/logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-1505480690/CPAN/arch
rm -rf 5.1* && rm -rf 5.8 && rm -rf 5.22 && rm -rf 5.20
cd 5.24
cp -Rp /tmp/slimserver-vendor-public-7.9/CPAN/build/arch/5.24/amd64-freebsd-thread-multi .
rm -rf x*
Make a directory for LMS, move files into place, add user, make directories for caches & prefs etc.

mkdir /usr/local/lms
mv logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-1505480690 /usr/local/lms/
cd /usr/local/lms
mv logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-1505480690/* /usr/local/lms
rmdir logitechmediaserver-7.9.1-1505480690

pw groupadd -n lms -g 20000
pw useradd -n lms -u 20000 -g lms -s /usr/sbin/nologin -c "Logitech Media Server" -d /nonexistent
chown -R lms:lms /usr/local/lms
mkdir /var/log/lms
mkdir /var/db/lms
mkdir /var/db/lms/cache
mkdir /var/db/lms/prefs
mkdir /var/db/lms/playlists
chown -R lms:lms /var/db/lms
chown -R lms:lms /var/log/lms
Set up rc.d and start.

cd /etc/rc.d
fetch https://audiodigitale.eu/repo/freebsd/lms
chmod 555 lms
echo 'lms_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf && echo 'lms_logdir="/var/log/lms"' >> /etc/rc.conf && echo 'lms_cachedir="/var/db/lms/cache"' >> /etc/rc.conf && echo 'lms_prefsdir="/var/db/lms/prefs"' >> /etc/rc.conf && echo 'lms_playlistdir="/var/db/lms/playlists"' >> /etc/rc.conf
If it doesn't start add two sym links for perl5.2.4 and try again.

ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.24.1 /usr/bin/perl
ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.24.1 /usr/bin/perl5
Hope it works for you.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 30 Sep 2017 23:41

thanks for sharing Stuarty

RainDamage
NewUser
NewUser

Post by RainDamage » 07 Jan 2018 00:37

Thanks! This helped me today.
The Hague area - Central European Time

Stuarty
Starter
Starter

Post by Stuarty » 05 Apr 2018 23:02

So, the situation has become better and worse at the same time.

For the first time in a long time there is a nearly up-to-date port for LMS but I can't install it successfully. When I try to compile LMS by myself I run into problems. However, the author over at https://audiodigitale.eu has prepared a package of LMS which can be installed easily and quickly and works. I had a working LMS from January 2018 running within ten minutes. Just add the AudioDigitale repository and install.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 12 Apr 2018 23:25

By the way Stuarty -and thanks for sharing-, do you have ALAC files to play? I ask because I have a few that usually these builds can't play. I have had to do all sorts of fiddles to get my install to work with them and hence hesitant to update/upgrade. I could create a new jail I suppose to try. Input welcome.

Stuarty
Starter
Starter

Post by Stuarty » 21 May 2018 08:53

I installed LMS from ports yesterday in a new jail and it just worked. And it played some alac files.

Create jail, fetch ports, install portmaster, go to the logitechmediaserver port directory ‘make config’ if you want to alter the defaults and then ‘portmaster logitechmediaserver’. Answer various prompts (using portmaster seems to mean that most of the config screens appear at the beginning of the build process; I don't know how to do this without portmaster) and after some time you (may) have a working install.

Enter these commands one line at a time.

pkg
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster/ && make install clean
cd /usr/ports/audio/logitechmediaserver/ && make config
portmaster logitechmediaserver
When it's done building you can

echo 'logitechmediaserver_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
and then

service logitechmediaserver start
The system does complain that

/usr/ports/audio/logitechmediaserver # Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8
This is a familiar problem and I think you can ignore it. If any one has a solution I'm certainly interested. I added a line to the logitechmediaserver rc.d script which sets the charset but I'm not sure that's the best answer.

To try to answer Cookiemonster's question above I converted some Flac files to ALAC and tried them. They played for me. I don't have lots of ALAC and I don't really understand the different variants of the file type that are possible. It seems like a special faad is normally needed for LMS to play them but in my (very small test) the faad from ports did work.

I also had to install a package to make installing plugins work. I did

pkg install p5-IO-Socket-SSL
because without it I couldn't get to the plugin repositories that I wanted.

jistme

Post by jistme » 13 Jul 2018 12:15

Having no real understanding of freebsd (unix) and all related code, I was happy and grateful to get Slimnas/LMS working on NAS4Free XigmaNAS some one and a half year ago.

I am currently running 11.1.0.4 (revision 4952), but probably should start thinking about updating to a stable 11.2 build.
(I have some issues I believe might be related to Samba, and I suspect an update might perhaps fix those)

But I have read some warnings about the possibility of some things getting 'broken' because of newer releases having an updated version of PHP.

Can somebody tell me if there is any risk in breaking my working installation of Slimnas when I would upgrade to the most recent stable XigmaNAS release?

Stuarty
Starter
Starter

Post by Stuarty » 13 Aug 2018 10:24

As a test I created a new jail and installed a new logitechmediaserver just to see if it would work. It does though there is a temporary problem.

One of the dependencies, libsndfile, has unresolved reported vulnerabilities. It is possible to ignore the vulnerabilities and install anyway. This is up to you. My LMS runs in a jail and is only accessible on my home network and I am prepared to take the risk. You can read about the vulnerabilities here.

I have Xigmanas 11.2.0.4, Omnius (revision 5774) with a new install of TheBrig (installed using the One Button Installer). My new jail has release FreeBSD 11.1.

I did the following (one line at a time).

pkg
pkg install p5-IO-Socket-SSL
portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster/ && make install clean
I configured LMS as I wanted it with

cd /usr/ports/audio/logitechmediaserver/ && make config
I first installed libsndfile with portmaster, ignoring the vulnerabilities, then the rest of the ports, answering any config questions.

portmaster -m DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes audio/libsndfile
portmaster audio/logitechmediaserver audio/sox audio/opusfile audio/opus audio/wavpack devel/libltdl
Once it was finished I updated rc.conf and started logitechmediaserver

echo 'logitechmediaserver_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
service logitechmediaserver onestart
I have not moved from my existing install but this new install looks fine, media scan works as expected.

jistme

Post by jistme » 25 Aug 2018 13:25

Thanks Stuarty.
So I am guessing it's not a safe bet to simply upgrade my Xigmanas and expect my installed and configured Slimnas to keep working without any glitch.
It's probably better for me then to postpone updating Xigamanas until I am prepared to completely reinstall everything from scratch in case the update breaks something.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 14 Oct 2018 11:43

Thanks Suarty. I had to rebuild the server, bit of a story but now on Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 6026). All data was lost, my long-running and painfully hand-tweaked setup blown.
So I followed your method on post #178. Long build process with just warnings. Completed successfully.
Upon start of lms, I got the same notices as you mentioned on post #176. So far so good.
But.. my ALAC files don't play. So I'll have to dig out my notes of how to rebuild the slimdevices-patched version of the required binary.

Return to “Extensions / Add-ons”