*New 12.2 series Release:
2021-01-27: XigmaNAS 12.2.0.4.8030 - released!

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-01-26: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.8027 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

The old Forum : https://www.xigmanas.com/oldforums/

How to make a user without password?

If you are new on this forum and you don't know where to post please use this sub-forum. Somebody will answer your question and/or will move your topic into the right sub-forum.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Rebel
New User
New User

How to make a user without password?

Post by Rebel »

I use 12.1.0.4 - Ingva (7743). In "Add user" form can not to add user while field "password" is empty. And I can not to change password of existing user to null as well.

The main problem is...
I've used before NAS4FREE 9.3. And I've used a mediaplayer ASUS "O!play mini plus" connected to the shares as a user with null password without any problems. After changing to Xigmanas 12, it does not log in like a user with password, it only can see shares available. I checked the connection with the same username from Windows - everything is ok. I suspect the mediaplayer is entering with the password inproperly.
cookiemonster
User
User

Re: How to make a user without password?

Post by cookiemonster »

CIFS/SAMBA share? Maybe the credentials are for the share that you need, not a system user to logon - that would need a password.
Rebel
New User
New User

Post by Rebel »

Yes. For the SMB shares. As I noticed it worked in 9.3 w/o any passwords.
Mediaplayer has UTF-8 coding. For the check I've even made only digit username and password - that doesn't help.
ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 »

Rebel wrote: Jan 5th, '21, 02:44 Yes. For the SMB shares. As I noticed it worked in 9.3 w/o any passwords.
Mediaplayer has UTF-8 coding. For the check I've even made only digit username and password - that doesn't help.
I think that your issue is not related to the user configuration.
It is more about the protocols your mediaplayer is supporting. Released back in 2011, it is very likely that the mediaplayer doesn't know much about SMBv2 or even SMBv3. Therefore my suspicion is that you must enable SMBv1 (aka CIFS) support.
In the SMB advanced settings (Services > SMB > Settings), add ntlm auth = yes, set the minimum server protocol and the minimum client protocol to NT1 (CIFS) as shown below:
services_samba.png
After a reboot, try to connect to the shares on the XigmaNAS box again.
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.2.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.
Rebel
New User
New User

Post by Rebel »

Right! Thank you very much. I suppose helped "ntlm auth = yes", because I've tried set up minimum protocols NT1 (CIFS) before.

But still have a question: subj?
ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 »

Rebel wrote: Jan 5th, '21, 22:01 Right! Thank you very much. I suppose helped "ntlm auth = yes", because I've tried set up minimum protocols NT1 (CIFS) before.

But still have a question: subj?
Create a postinit command (System > Advanced > Command Scripts) using pw.
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.2.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.