Page 1 of 2

XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 05 Oct 2019 19:59
by zoon01
We are pleased to announce the release of XigmaNAS version 11.3.0.4.6928- Parmentier.

The 11.3 series does upgrade the 11.2 series what are now soon unsupported.
We suggest to upgrade your 11.2 servers to 11.3.

First BACKUP your current Configuration!
READ readme_11.3.txt please before you do anything!

Download build 11.3.0.4.6928


Warning! Extended GUI is not compatible with this release.
Disable and remove the extension before upgrade.


Changes for release 11.3.0.4.6903
===================================
- Upgrade FreeBSD to 11.3-RELEASE-P3.
- WebGUI code & framework improvements.
- Update translations.
- Add autologin option.
- Upgrade to python36.
- Upgrade bsnmp-ucd to 0.4.4.
- Upgrade samba to 4.10.8.
- Upgrade php to 7.3.10.
- Upgrade phpmyadmin to 4.9.1.
- Upgrade msmtp to 1.8.6.
- Upgrade syncthing to 1.3.0.
- Upgrade minidlna to newer sources.
- Use recommended patches for dmidecode.

fixes:
===
- Fix monitoring shows high cpu load.
- Fix display HW Address on status page minidlna.

Basic Note:
- Make a new backup of your system configuration and store this on safe location, the system config.xml could be upgraded!
- Clear your browser's cache to avoid display issues after upgrade when coming from older release.

Regards,
Team XigmaNAS

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 05 Oct 2019 22:30
by provels
A-OK upgrade on my antique. CPU issue solved. Thanks, all!

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 05 Oct 2019 23:03
by Snufkin
Have seen be unsupported soon warning for 11.2 series.
How long will 11.3 series be supported?

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 05 Oct 2019 23:30
by zoon01
Depends on performance upcomming freebsd 12.1 release. For now 11.x and 12,x supported. Users who Stay 11 series must upgrade to 11.3 please! I do not end the proven 11 series thIs soon, 12.x has a lot changes internal what might not work for every one of us.

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 06 Oct 2019 14:46
by anders.malm
My Samba shares does not work with this release. I upgraded my 11.2.0.4.6881 server and now my windows 10 can't find the shares. My system is on RootOnZFS and when I boot back to the previous version she shares works.

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 06 Oct 2019 18:36
by provels
Shares are working on mine (from Win 10 and others) but mine is embedded.

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 06 Oct 2019 21:40
by Uzi
One successful update here.
Confirming that Monitoring shows normal CPU load.
Edit: Second system successfully updated as well.

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 06 Oct 2019 21:48
by nasrocks
Hello

It is not showing as available an update on the Web GUI firmware update page.

Firmware Information
Current Version XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 (6881)
Online Information Latest Release: XigmaNAS-x64-embedded-11.2.0.4.6881.img.xz (Sunday September 22 23:21:57 UTC 2019)

Thanks

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 06 Oct 2019 21:50
by provels
nasrocks wrote:
06 Oct 2019 21:48
It is not showing as available an update on the Web GUI firmware update page.
I saw the same thing. I was notified of the update by RSS feed.

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 06 Oct 2019 22:30
by zoon01
nasrocks wrote:
06 Oct 2019 21:48
Hello

It is not showing as available an update on the Web GUI firmware update page.

Firmware Information
Current Version XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 (6881)
Online Information Latest Release: XigmaNAS-x64-embedded-11.2.0.4.6881.img.xz (Sunday September 22 23:21:57 UTC 2019)

Thanks
That's correct, i have not yet uploaded into last 11.2.0.4 release folder. This is where webgui 11.2 looks, i do on next 11.3 release make it available.
No worries, it's no bug. ;)

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 06 Oct 2019 23:49
by JoseMR
anders.malm wrote:
06 Oct 2019 14:46
My Samba shares does not work with this release. I upgraded my 11.2.0.4.6881 server and now my windows 10 can't find the shares. My system is on RootOnZFS and when I boot back to the previous version she shares works.
Hi, I was unable to reproduce this on my end, I've upgraded RootOnZFS Platform from "11.2.0.4.6726" to "11.3.0.4.6928" and Samba shares, SSH etc. services remains the same, however tested on my Android and Linux Mint clients, and an old Win7 VM client, unfortunately I don't use Win10 due security/privacy concerns, but I may try a VM.

Is there anything in the logs after upgrading from XigmaNAS 11.2 to 11.3 :?:

tip!
map-network-drives-windows-10

Regards

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 06 Oct 2019 23:56
by JoseMR
Hello, this may be just cosmetics, but users wondering about the XN brand/logo in the loader after upgrading from older 11.2 to 11.3 can enable it by simply executing the following command:

Code: Select all

sysrc -f /boot/loader.conf loader_brand="XigmaNAS"
Screenshot:
Brand_XigmaNAS_Loader.png
Nothe that "Boot Environments" selection menu are shown only on GPT BIOS and UEFI RootOnZFS platforms.

Regards

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 07 Oct 2019 20:12
by anders.malm
JoseMR wrote:
06 Oct 2019 23:49
anders.malm wrote:
06 Oct 2019 14:46
My Samba shares does not work with this release. I upgraded my 11.2.0.4.6881 server and now my windows 10 can't find the shares. My system is on RootOnZFS and when I boot back to the previous version she shares works.
Hi, I was unable to reproduce this on my end, I've upgraded RootOnZFS Platform from "11.2.0.4.6726" to "11.3.0.4.6928" and Samba shares, SSH etc. services remains the same, however tested on my Android and Linux Mint clients, and an old Win7 VM client, unfortunately I don't use Win10 due security/privacy concerns, but I may try a VM.

Is there anything in the logs after upgrading from XigmaNAS 11.2 to 11.3 :?:

tip!
map-network-drives-windows-10

Regards
Hello
I have attached logfiles from boot with 11.2.0.4 and 11.3.0.4. For 11.3.0.4 the loglevel is set to normal

/Anders

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 08 Oct 2019 22:45
by JoseMR
anders.malm wrote:
07 Oct 2019 20:12

Hello
I have attached logfiles from boot with 11.2.0.4 and 11.3.0.4. For 11.3.0.4 the loglevel is set to normal

/Anders
Hi Anders, since I still can't reproduce this on my systems(VM and H/W), I have been looking in the logs and what I see are several daemon startup failures, like shown below for samba:

Code: Select all

~~~
Oct  6 06:56:37 xigmanas root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start nmbd
Oct  6 06:56:37 xigmanas root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start smbd
~~~
Followed by several NVME controller failures like shown below(possibly related to this similar bug):

Code: Select all

~~~
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: Resetting controller due to a timeout.
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: resetting controller
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: aborting outstanding i/o
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: READ sqid:2 cid:64 nsid:1 lba:31535384 len:8
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: ABORTED - BY REQUEST (00/07) sqid:2 cid:64 cdw0:0
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: aborting outstanding i/o
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: WRITE sqid:4 cid:125 nsid:1 lba:41962376 len:8
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: ABORTED - BY REQUEST (00/07) sqid:4 cid:125 cdw0:0
~~~
Can you test/confirm if after booting XigmaNAS 11.3, and manually restarting the samba service brings back your shares?, between you can also test on XigmaNAS 12.0 upgrade, though previous packages and/or existing jails may need maintenance.

Also can you post the output for:

Code: Select all

top | grep -E 'smbd|nmbd'

or

service samba status
Between is recommended to stay with the latest XigmaNAS 11.2 Boot Environment until we find a viable solution.

Regards

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 08 Oct 2019 22:56
by magzi
Successful update. Everything works great. Thank you!

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 09 Oct 2019 06:30
by anders.malm
JoseMR wrote:
08 Oct 2019 22:45
anders.malm wrote:
07 Oct 2019 20:12

Hello
I have attached logfiles from boot with 11.2.0.4 and 11.3.0.4. For 11.3.0.4 the loglevel is set to normal

/Anders
Hi Anders, since I still can't reproduce this on my systems(VM and H/W), I have been looking in the logs and what I see are several daemon startup failures, like shown below for samba:

Code: Select all

~~~
Oct  6 06:56:37 xigmanas root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start nmbd
Oct  6 06:56:37 xigmanas root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start smbd
~~~
Followed by several NVME controller failures like shown below(possibly related to this similar bug):

Code: Select all

~~~
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: Resetting controller due to a timeout.
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: resetting controller
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: aborting outstanding i/o
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: READ sqid:2 cid:64 nsid:1 lba:31535384 len:8
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: ABORTED - BY REQUEST (00/07) sqid:2 cid:64 cdw0:0
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: aborting outstanding i/o
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: WRITE sqid:4 cid:125 nsid:1 lba:41962376 len:8
Oct  6 07:15:50 xigmanas kernel: nvme0: ABORTED - BY REQUEST (00/07) sqid:4 cid:125 cdw0:0
~~~
Can you test/confirm if after booting XigmaNAS 11.3, and manually restarting the samba service brings back your shares?, between you can also test on XigmaNAS 12.0 upgrade, though previous packages and/or existing jails may need maintenance.

Also can you post the output for:

Code: Select all

top | grep -E 'smbd|nmbd'

or

service samba status
Between is recommended to stay with the latest XigmaNAS 11.2 Boot Environment until we find a viable solution.

Regards
Hello Jose

The
top | grep -E 'smbd|nmbd'
doesn't return anything

$ service samba status
nmbd is not running.
smbd is not running.

$ service samba start
Removing stale Samba tdb files: done
Updating passdb.
Starting nmbd.
Starting smbd.

and after that

$ service samba status
nmbd is not running.
smbd is not running.

I don´t have time to test 12.0 today, I will give it a try when I am back home tomorrow

/Anders

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 09 Oct 2019 15:21
by JoseMR
anders.malm wrote:
09 Oct 2019 06:30
...

Hello Jose

The
top | grep -E 'smbd|nmbd'
doesn't return anything

$ service samba status
nmbd is not running.
smbd is not running.

$ service samba start
Removing stale Samba tdb files: done
Updating passdb.
Starting nmbd.
Starting smbd.

and after that

$ service samba status
nmbd is not running.
smbd is not running.

I don´t have time to test 12.0 today, I will give it a try when I am back home tomorrow

/Anders
Hello Anders, please save the config.xml before testing on 12.0, as it seems that the NVME controller bug has also been seen in 12.0-RELEASE as well, also some has confirmed having data lost/corruption, so if XigmaNAS 11.2 is working ok, then what I think is that this may be related to the previously mentioned bug, but we can't also ignore possible/premature hardware failure on the M2 SSD.

P.S XigmaNAS RootOnZFS can self-repair any data corruption with a scrub, but If you are running from a mirror setup at least, also you may consider testing another PCIe M2 disk or use an spare SATA port on a standard SSD then restore config, and monitor the logs.

Regards

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 09 Oct 2019 23:38
by cookiemonster
What version of unison is on this new release please?

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 09 Oct 2019 23:51
by ms49434
cookiemonster wrote:
09 Oct 2019 23:38
What version of unison is on this new release please?
2.51.2

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 10 Oct 2019 00:01
by cookiemonster
Thank you

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 10 Oct 2019 17:25
by anders.malm
JoseMR wrote:
09 Oct 2019 15:21
anders.malm wrote:
09 Oct 2019 06:30
...

Hello Jose

The
top | grep -E 'smbd|nmbd'
doesn't return anything

$ service samba status
nmbd is not running.
smbd is not running.

$ service samba start
Removing stale Samba tdb files: done
Updating passdb.
Starting nmbd.
Starting smbd.

and after that

$ service samba status
nmbd is not running.
smbd is not running.

I don´t have time to test 12.0 today, I will give it a try when I am back home tomorrow

/Anders
Hello Anders, please save the config.xml before testing on 12.0, as it seems that the NVME controller bug has also been seen in 12.0-RELEASE as well, also some has confirmed having data lost/corruption, so if XigmaNAS 11.2 is working ok, then what I think is that this may be related to the previously mentioned bug, but we can't also ignore possible/premature hardware failure on the M2 SSD.

P.S XigmaNAS RootOnZFS can self-repair any data corruption with a scrub, but If you are running from a mirror setup at least, also you may consider testing another PCIe M2 disk or use an spare SATA port on a standard SSD then restore config, and monitor the logs.

Regards
Hello Jose

I have tested 12.0 and it behaves just like 11.3. I have NVME errors and samba doesn't start. I have attaced the logfile.

Now back on 11.2 and all works, no NVME error.

/Anders

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 10 Oct 2019 18:26
by JoseMR
anders.malm wrote:
10 Oct 2019 17:25
...

Hello Jose

I have tested 12.0 and it behaves just like 11.3. I have NVME errors and samba doesn't start. I have attaced the logfile.

Now back on 11.2 and all works, no NVME error.

/Anders
Hi Anders, thanks for testing and submitting the logs, I will look into it this evening.

In the meant time, since latest 11.3 and 12.0 are behaving the same on your hardware and/or PCIe M2 SSD, just stay with 11.2 Boot Environment until bug gets resolved, also you may consider submitting a bug to FreeBSD with your hardware specs.

Also FYI, you can use the BE Manager Extension to backup the complete 11.2 Boot Environment to your pool(a 1:1 compressed file of the BE), then you can test/install from scratch if you want too, you can later restore your whole BE and reboot into it like when restoring a config but all configured and setup out-of-the-box.

Regards

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 15 Oct 2019 21:30
by cookiemonster
Hello. Am I right in assuming the extension thebrig has been tested and confirmed working in all its functionalities on 11.3 ?
I rely on the functionality it provides to manage my jails and worry having to re-create them when moving to another release series. They are an absolute pain to recreate from scratch.

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 18 Oct 2019 16:49
by JoseMR
cookiemonster wrote:
15 Oct 2019 21:30
Hello. Am I right in assuming the extension thebrig has been tested and confirmed working in all its functionalities on 11.3 ?
I rely on the functionality it provides to manage my jails and worry having to re-create them when moving to another release series. They are an absolute pain to recreate from scratch.

Hi cookiemonster, I've tested on XigmaNAS RootOnZFS 11.3 by creating a TEST jail using Bastille Manager Extension(CLI for now) with 11.2-RELEASE base bootstrapped(support for 11.3-RELEASE in Bastille is pending), then I upgraded to XigmaNAS 12.0 and the TEST jail does startup and works normally, between Bastille uses the native FreeBSD jail functionality with no extra dependencies. 8-)

I assume with TheBrig it would be similar, but since you are running XirmaNAS RootOnZFS you can always try new firmware versions and if it does not meet your expectations, you can also always rollback to previous Boot Environment whiting the WebGUI with BE Manager Extension.

Regards

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 18 Oct 2019 20:51
by cookiemonster
That is a good point JoseMR. I will get zrep working first, currently ongoing. Great advice.!

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 26 Oct 2019 14:05
by Uzi
One question: I think since this update (maybe the one before) ZFS asks me to upgrade the pool to a new (?) featureset. Does anyone know what the new features are or how I can look it up?

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 26 Oct 2019 15:43
by cookiemonster
Could it be that your pools are on an older zfs version? I'm pretty sure feature flags are from version 5. What version are your pools at?

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 26 Oct 2019 17:04
by Uzi
I'd have to look up the version of my pools but I upgraded a few (several?) builds ago already.

I get the following at the CLI, is this the correct command to determine the version?

Code: Select all

~# zpool get version
NAME    PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
pool1   version   -        default

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 26 Oct 2019 18:02
by raulfg3

Re: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 released (FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-P3)

Posted: 26 Oct 2019 18:28
by Uzi
If I understand the link raulfg3 posted correctly I can only compare features.

Assuming I'm reeeaaaallllyyyy curious (I'm not 8-) ) how do I do that and how do I know, which ones are actually new?