*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

[HOWTO] install Finch BSD in chroot

Jails with XigmaNAS
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Re: [HOWTO] JAILS - FreeBSD in a chroot

Post by fumantsu »

I'm bit confused with qjail command line. Is there any way to create a jail using a existing jail as template?

Nevermind I found it :) :
qjail archive {jailname}
qjail create -4 {ip} -a {archived_jail} {new jailname}
Fractal Node 304, Avoton C2550 Quad-Core Processor, 8GB RAM ECC, 4 x 4TB WD RED in mirrors , NAS4Free 9.2.0.1 build 972

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

Well new issue... :( but any start is diffucult.

I have change the mountpoint of the tank0/Downloads to be inside finch:
tank0/Downloads 78.4G 1.14T 78.4G /mnt/tank0/Jails/finch/mnt/tank0/Downloads

and this is the line I add to the fstab of jail1 so that I can mount Downloads
/mnt/tank0/Downloads /usr/jails/jail1/mnt/tank0/Downloads nullfs ro 0 0

I can understand the point of ro in this line but if I need to write to this dataset from inside the jail should this be rw?

btw: df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
tank0/Jails 1.2T 28G 1.1T 2% /
Fractal Node 304, Avoton C2550 Quad-Core Processor, 8GB RAM ECC, 4 x 4TB WD RED in mirrors , NAS4Free 9.2.0.1 build 972

mekonghigh
Starter
Starter

Post by mekonghigh »

Code: Select all

mount_nullfs /mnt/tank0/Downloads /mnt/tank0/Jails/finch/mnt/tank0/finch/mnt/tank0/finch/usr/jails/jail1/**place/where/your/jail/downloadmap/is**
Connect with SCP (WinSCP) as root to find the specific place.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

That part of the path (/mnt/tank0/finch) doesn't exist.

mekonghigh
Starter
Starter

Post by mekonghigh »

fumantsu wrote:That part of the path (/mnt/tank0/finch) doesn't exist.
Are you using SCP (WinSCP) to explorer /mnt/disk0/finch?

dreamcat4
experienced User
experienced User

Post by dreamcat4 »

fumantsu wrote:but if I need to write to this dataset from inside the jail should this be rw?
Yes, that is correct.
Sorry that it may not be clear enough in the documentation.

& Remember when setting up a new mountpoint for nullfs. Need to mkdir -p to create an empty directory stub. So there is and inode there where nullfs can map on top of.

mekonghigh
Starter
Starter

Post by mekonghigh »

Dreamcat4,

The way i mount directory's, is it the right way or the wrong way?

dreamcat4
experienced User
experienced User

Post by dreamcat4 »

dreamcat4 wrote:
fumantsu wrote:Basically my question was that based your suggestion about the way of mounting the filesystems, there has to be a mount_nullfs command to "return" the zfs dataset to the original place, if have to suggest any "proper" way.
Right so I did understand the question and did answer it. You can instead use the fstab file in finch folder. But I am recommending that you use the native nas4free GUI page / screens.
OK sorry I think I have not given best advise here. Because it seems actually there isn't any GUI feature in nas4free to make artibitrary nullfs mounts. What it lets you is only to mount disks. And we must select a recognised disk or other actually formatted devices from a drop-down list. Unless in future nas4free makes some new features GUI changes in future. But that isn't likely while zoon has to prioritize such a limited time on this project.

This means the right way is use finch's fstab file to set up the nullfs mounts since there is no better / simpler option. I also commented today to somebody else on UFS thread, you may wish to make "mount -a $finch_fstab" command be executed earlier, by adding it specifically as PRE-init script. Which is useful to do if you need to mount your nullfs folders *earlier* in the boot sequence. Like I mentioned that on freenas because finch starting and mounting at the regular postinit time seems a bit too late to catch SAMBA, AFP service startup etc.

dreamcat4
experienced User
experienced User

Post by dreamcat4 »

mekonghigh wrote:Dreamcat4,

The way i mount directory's, is it the right way or the wrong way?
It looks right to me. If the directory does not exist then create it with 'mkdir -p' command. So that there is a place for it to mount on to.

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

Me also I don't have problem to see my files where I have mount the dataset, inside and outside the jail. Only that was read-only inside the jail.

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

dreamcat4 wrote:
fumantsu wrote:What about 2 or more (but not all)?
I think you just repeat the process of 1 jail. Edit the fstab file of each extra jail(s) you need that folder to appear in /usr/local/etc/qjail.fstab/${jailname}. A component of the fstab line you add must include that specific jail's hardcoded path so it would not be easy to make any kind of variable substitution (as far as I know, fstab files are not sourced like shell scripts, but parsed by a 'C' program so would not understand $variable substitutions).

Another thing to be aware of is that if you rename the jail it may make such custom paths in the fstab file invalid. I have not tested to check if qjail is smart enough to make string replacements in those custom lines automatically.
Well it doesn't work. I had start first jail2 and then jail1 and I received the following error message:

mount_nullfs: /usr/jails/jail1/mnt/tank0/Downloads: Resource deadlock avoided

dreamcat4
experienced User
experienced User

Post by dreamcat4 »

fumantsu wrote:Well it doesn't work. I had start first jail2 and then jail1 and I received the following error message:

Works fine for me :ugeek:

Perhaps google can explain better than I can. Here is one such page but unfortunately it's not in english.

http://odiemus.livejournal.com/109596.html

When translated, that guy is saying the error can happen if the target folder was already mounted by nullfs. Then this error message will occur when trying to mount twice in the same place (location already mounted)...

(For your specific circumstance) this may happen for example if you edit the fstab file on a running jail and it did not unmount properly from last time, during the same session etc. Or it may happen persistently if you have a script somewhere else trying to so the same thing already that the jails fstab file is doing, or force start the jail (so starting it twice) etc. There are many ways to mess up but normally (if configuration is correct), then such message will go away after you reboot your system.

My guess is maybe in each of your jail fstab file the same line occur. But it must say different the part "/usr/jails/jail1/mnt/tank0/Downloads" which may be copy - pasted but has to be changed to say "/usr/jails/jail2/mnt/tank0/Downloads" for the jail2. But that is just a speculation. If your fstab files are all correct then reboot your system and check again. Or run 'df' command and inspect your mountpoints before restarting the jail that gives the error msg. etc. etc.

dreamcat4
experienced User
experienced User

Post by dreamcat4 »

BraM wrote:I'm experiencing issues when attempting to enter the finch chroot environment, as root

backup-server ~/ root~$ sudo finch chroot
sudo: unable to stat /usr/local/etc/sudoers: No error: 0
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin
We have now idenditifed this problem. It occurs if any of the following folders are not readable because of incorrect user ownsership OR unix permissions for any of these paths leading up to the sudoers file:

sudoers symlink:
/
/usr/
/usr/local/
/usr/local/etc/
/usr/local/etc/sudoers

actual sudoers file:
/
/path/
/path/to/
/path/to/finch/
/path/to/finch/usr/
/path/to/finch/usr/local/
/path/to/finch/usr/local/etc/
/path/to/finch/usr/local/etc/sudoers
Usually the reason is because the disk's mount point owner was not set to user "root" and group "wheel". And / or the chmod permissions "read" and "execute" are not checked for "owner" and "group" fields in nas4free GUI in the disk mount point / disk management pages. Click spanner icon to edit.

Other reason is any intermediate folders are not readable for sudo to be able to scanning these folders, and cd'ing into the right subfolder to read the sudoers config file. So is worth to check permissions on each subfolders manually with 'ls -lsa' command. If ordinary folder (not mountpoint) then use "chown" or "chmod" commands to correct the permissions and ownership to be root:wheel 0755.

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

dreamcat4 wrote:
fumantsu wrote:Well it doesn't work. I had start first jail2 and then jail1 and I received the following error message:

Works fine for me :ugeek:

Perhaps google can explain better than I can. Here is one such page but unfortunately it's not in english.

http://odiemus.livejournal.com/109596.html

When translated, that guy is saying the error can happen if the target folder was already mounted by nullfs. Then this error message will occur when trying to mount twice in the same place (location already mounted)...

(For your specific circumstance) this may happen for example if you edit the fstab file on a running jail and it did not unmount properly from last time, during the same session etc. Or it may happen persistently if you have a script somewhere else trying to so the same thing already that the jails fstab file is doing, or force start the jail (so starting it twice) etc. There are many ways to mess up but normally (if configuration is correct), then such message will go away after you reboot your system.

My guess is maybe in each of your jail fstab file the same line occur. But it must say different the part "/usr/jails/jail1/mnt/tank0/Downloads" which may be copy - pasted but has to be changed to say "/usr/jails/jail2/mnt/tank0/Downloads" for the jail2. But that is just a speculation. If your fstab files are all correct then reboot your system and check again. Or run 'df' command and inspect your mountpoints before restarting the jail that gives the error msg. etc. etc.
Yes, you have right. Basically the second jail is a clone of the first and when I edit the fstab I copy-paste the line without change the {1} to {2} on jail's name...... That what is happening when you are doing such kind of work after mindnight :D :D :D

Mathew
Starter
Starter

Post by Mathew »

This is probably a really dumb question, but what is the loop back address that it asks for after the address of the jail? I am not sure what to put in here and dont wanna screw it up!

Thanks

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

loopback is a virtual interface that allows a software or a driver to communicate with the same system without knowing any IP address. That's why is always 127.0.0.1.

The only thing I don't know is the really need to add a different loopback address for each a jail. The other guides+thebrig where wasn't any note about loopback.

dreamcat4
experienced User
experienced User

Post by dreamcat4 »

After reading the jail 8 manpage for long enough, it eventually becomes apparent that when a regular non-vnet jail is started up in freebsd, then the jail 8 command will call the ifconfig alias command to create an ip address alias for each specified network device / network adapter specified in ip4.addr = variable where is set the -4 the if_device|ip, ip address list.

Let us imagine you create 3 jails, and give them all the same IP address. Then there may be a conflict in the ifconfig alias command cannot assign for each jail it's own unique localhost IP address. Another subtelty is that even if you give each jail a different ip address, their localhost alias all point to the same lo0 127.0.0.1 device on the host machine. So any ports bound to local host inside of a jail may be visible to all of the other jails and the host machine also. Sometimes that is desirable behaviour. Sometimes it is not. It depends a lot what serviced and software you are running / what level of security or flexibility is needed.

If you truly want seperate loopback interface for each jail and not shared between other jails and the host, then you will probably need to create some extra lo1, lo2, etc loopback devices. So that you can assign an entirely different loX loopback device for each jail and keep lo0 reserved only for the host machine's usage. Because I'm not sure that just putting the jail alias 'lo0' addresses on different subnets is enough or sufficient to do that (127.0.1.1, 127.0.2.1, etc). Although that might be easier so it may be worth it to to try that first.

To test and verify what is actually happening, I recommend to install some TCP service into a jail (or you probably have one already). For example like nginx that is shown in the jails tutorial. You then need to configure your TCP service to bind to the TCP port of the loopback device. E.g. lo0 127.0.0.201:8080 or whatever is lookback address was configured for that particular jail. Then log in to a 2nd jail (or the host machine). Then try 'telnet 127.0.0.X 8080' or use fetch command, or install and use 'nmap' command to run a port scan on localhost. To see if the nginx port 8080 (or your TCP service) from the other jail is open and visible on the other jail or host machine.

You can try changing the ip address of your 2nd, 3rd jails to be on a different subnet e.g. the 127.1.X.X and see if anything is different. And you can try creating additional loopback interfaces like lo1, lo2 etc. (just google it or read the 'ifconfig' manpage).

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

So the need for different loopback ip is maybe needed only in case of running same tcp service? Is needed different ip or different loopback interface+ip?

Mathew
Starter
Starter

Post by Mathew »

Thank you guys for your help! I have Plex up and running now with no issues. I have, however, encountered a new problem. I want to install owncloud as well and when I attempted to sudo chroot in I got an error saying:

"sudo: error in /etc/sudo.conf, line 0 while loading plugin `sudoers_policy'
sudo: /usr/local/libexec/sudo/sudoers.so must be only be writable by owner
sudo: fatal error, unable to load plugins"

I am sure that I screwed up some permissions or something to get this error, but I am not sure what I need to change back to get this working correctly again. I know that FINCH installed the correct permissions when I installed it, but I am not sure what those permissions were and where exactly I need to change them.

Thanks again guys!

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

I have another strange issue. After the rename the qjail.local/{jail} have wrong entry for the fstab. Instead of pointing to qjail.fstab/{jail} is pointing to qjail.{jail}.
When I edit this file manually and start the jails everything is ok but with the first restart the changes are discarded. I look on the qjail man pages but I didn't find any option. Only for display this file (config -d).

Any help with this?

dreamcat4
experienced User
experienced User

Post by dreamcat4 »

fumantsu wrote:I have another strange issue. After the rename the qjail.local/{jail} have wrong entry for the fstab. Instead of pointing to qjail.fstab/{jail} is pointing to qjail.{jail}.
When I edit this file manually and start the jails everything is ok but with the first restart the changes are discarded. I look on the qjail man pages but I didn't find any option. Only for display this file (config -d).

Any help with this?
Hi. This appears to be a qjail issue so I believe it would be best for you contact the qjail author Joe Barbish. Please make the problem aware to him. It aught to be possible to do that or file a bug report on the qjail sourceforge website. If not, please search for his contact info and email him. Many thanks.

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

Mathew wrote:Thank you guys for your help! I have Plex up and running now with no issues. I have, however, encountered a new problem. I want to install owncloud as well and when I attempted to sudo chroot in I got an error saying:

I am sure that I screwed up some permissions or something to get this error, but I am not sure what I need to change back to get this working correctly again. I know that FINCH installed the correct permissions when I installed it, but I am not sure what those permissions were and where exactly I need to change them.

Thanks again guys!
Maybe this can help you.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6994#p42538

Mathew
Starter
Starter

Post by Mathew »

fumantsu wrote:
Mathew wrote:Thank you guys for your help! I have Plex up and running now with no issues. I have, however, encountered a new problem. I want to install owncloud as well and when I attempted to sudo chroot in I got an error saying:

Thanks again guys!
Maybe this can help you.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6994#p42538

This fixed my issue, thank you so much!

fumantsu
Starter
Starter

Post by fumantsu »

Good day dreamcat4,

Do you have draft instructions about installing Virtualbox? I read your FAQ about this and I avoid to to use the ports and installed virtualbox-ose from the precompiled package but it seems that it is not work, guessing because of the kernel modules(?).
Last edited by fumantsu on 01 Oct 2014 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

dreamcat4
experienced User
experienced User

Post by dreamcat4 »

fumantsu wrote:Do you have draft instructions about installing Virtualbox? I read your FAQ about this and I avoid to to use the ports and installed virtualbox-ose from the precompiled package but it seems that it is not work, guesting because of the kernel modules(?).
Yes you are right. It is a tough one because of the kernel modules. So you aught to be best off to try jandegar's VirtualBox extension in extensions sub-forum.

Elclaudio
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Elclaudio »

I tried to move a finch install from one disk to another (/mnt/hd03/finch to /mnt/hd01/finch) and I got errors :

Moving this finch installation to "/mnt/hd01/finch"...
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/var/empty: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/var: Directory not empty
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/chsh: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/rsh: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/ypchfn: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/ypchsh: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/chfn: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/su: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/ypchpass: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/passwd: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/chpass: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/login: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/opiepasswd: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/opieinfo: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/yppasswd: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/rlogin: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin/crontab: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/bin: Directory not empty
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/lib32/libc.so.7: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/lib32/libcrypt.so.5: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/lib32/librt.so.1: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/lib32/libthr.so.3: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/lib32: Directory not empty
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/lib/librt.so.1: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr/lib: Directory not empty
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/usr: Directory not empty
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/sbin/init: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/sbin: Directory not empty
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/lib/libcrypt.so.5: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/lib/libc.so.7: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/lib/libthr.so.3: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/lib: Directory not empty
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/bin/rcp: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/bin: Directory not empty
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/libexec/ld-elf32.so.1: Operation not permitted
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch/libexec: Directory not empty
mv: /mnt/hd03/finch: Directory not empty
mv: /bin/rm /mnt/hd03/finch: terminated with 1 (non-zero) status
Done.
After some research, I've found it may be related to the chflags (even root user can't delete those files / folders whitout removing the flags with chflags -Rv noschg /path/to/finch)

The move command script appear to need a fix

laster13
PowerUser
PowerUser

Post by laster13 »

hi

Today i tried to install finch but i have a new error

nas4free ~/ root~$  sudo finch chroot
Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required by "sudo"

dreamcat4
experienced User
experienced User

Post by dreamcat4 »

laster13 wrote:hi

Today i tried to install finch but i have a new error

nas4free ~/ root~$  sudo finch chroot
Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required by "sudo"
That problem ^^ (libintl.so) has been fixed now. Run 'finch update'

laster13
PowerUser
PowerUser

Post by laster13 »

Thanks it works ;)

krpepe
NewUser
NewUser

Post by krpepe »

Hello, Im having problems with plex in a finch qjail. I can get plex to start but my samsung tv says, "test failed, server is reachable but it returned Access is Denied. Does anyone have any idea how to correct this.

On the computer I get to the plex home screen but im told you do not have permision to acess this server.

I have plex working in thebrig. Just cant seem to get it in finch. Can someone please tell me what im doing wrong.

Kevin

Return to “Jails”