*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

HAST+Carp back end for Xenserver/Proxmox question

Highly Available Storage.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
nethfel
NewUser
NewUser

HAST+Carp back end for Xenserver/Proxmox question

Post by nethfel » 22 Feb 2015 00:35

Hi all,

I'm trying to wrap my head around HAST/CARP and I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance.

I was following this tutorial:
http://blackcatsoftware.us/inprogress-c ... rphastzfs/

and managed to bork it up a bit ;) Right now I'm doing the entire test as a set of VM's so I'm just going to wipe them and start over.

My goal is to have:
2+ systems replicated with the capability of having failover, preferably 3 systems if possible, but I had read along the way that HAST (at least as of that time) was limited to 2 systems, a master/slave.
NAS4Free box having 6 ethernet ports connected as follows:
3xeth LAGG Balance-ALB (or equivalent) for data syncing (172.18.1.0/24 network)
2xeth LAGG Balance-ALB for client access (172.18.2.0/24 network)
1xeth management port for web interface/ssh access (172.18.3.0/24 network).

Is this configuration possible with HAST/CARP?

If it is possible, as I was attempting to follow the guide above, it was referring to /dev/daX, as the drives according to the web interface are /dev/adaX, I assume I'm supposed to swap out the /dev/daX with /dev/adaX; is this correct or is /dev/daX some sort of virtual device created?

I didn't understand in the guide why the OP created two different CARP IP addresses, I thought they were supposed to be the same? Is there a more recent tutorial that takes changes to NAS4Free into account (I assume more can be handled thru the gui by now as the tutorial was written over a year ago).

Also, how in sync are the boxes at this point? Do they sync constantly like Gluster would or what? How high of a risk is split brain when considering something like this for storage for a hypervisor?

Return to “HAST”