*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Best way to compile a custom NAS4Free system

Compile and development by yourself!
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
benat
NewUser
NewUser

Best way to compile a custom NAS4Free system

Post by benat » 03 Oct 2012 19:18

Hi there,

I'm trying to build a modified NAS4Free 9.0.0.1 image and I have a few questions. I'm following these directives:
- http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=do ... om_scratch

Basically I need to add some ports and slightly modify compile options to a few existing ones. So far I can build NAS4Free as long as:
- firefly/fuppes are removed from the ports list (I don't need them anyway)
- lcdproc is patched (see topic here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1243)
- transmission-2.61.tar.bz2 is downloaded manually and copied to /usr/ports/distfiles/ (the build script fails as it doesn't find the tarball).

At this point I have 2 questions:
1. what is the best way to change compile options to NAS4Free ports (ex. +FPM to php5)? Should I edit the Makefile? How can I make the options dialog popup?
2. what is the best way to add packages? For example, I can think of installing a port on my FreeBSD system, then pkg_create port, then chroot /usr/local/nas4free/rootfs and pkg_add...
How you, NAS4Free devs, would do this customization? Thanks a lot in advance.

Last point, for NAS4Free to build on amd64, the lib32 distribution must be installed on the FreeBSD platform: I know it is checked by default on the FreeBSD Installer, but many people (like me) are used to install minimal systems :-) Maybe something to mention in the documentation.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

ericgayle
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Best way to compile a custom NAS4Free system

Post by ericgayle » 13 Aug 2013 18:06

For compiling you need to setup a FreeBSD system according to the target architecture. This means if you like to build NAS4Free 64-bits you need to setup a FreeBSD amd64 system. ( same for i386). You can install an i386 system without problems on VirtualBox running on a amd64 Host. If you want to setup FreeBSD amd64 on an i386 Host you have to use Qemu for emulating amd64. Please follow the Qemu Manual for doing this.
For more information contact PHP Freelance Developer | WordPress Development

systemservice
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Best way to compile a custom NAS4Free system

Post by systemservice » 15 Oct 2013 18:57

Hello,

benat asks also, how to add packges / ports to a custom build.
I'm also trying to understand how to do it.

I have read this article http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=do ... om_scratch how to compile a custom build, but how can I add new packages and ports to this build?

Thank you.
NAS4Free 9.1.0.1.856 x86 embedded (Custom build) based on FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p7

Return to “Development & Developers”