*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Setting up Namecheap Dynamic DNS for multiple domains and hosts

Dynamic DNS services.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
mig
NewUser
NewUser

Setting up Namecheap Dynamic DNS for multiple domains and hosts

Post by mig » 04 Feb 2016 09:53

If you are like me, and want to use your N4F box to as a webserver on a dynamic IP, a cheap affordable solution is difficult to find. In pursuit of this, I recently moved all of my domains to Namecheap. This decision was made because, among other benefits, they offer dynamic DNS service for any domain managed by their registrar. This is great, except when you realize that Namecheap's dynamic DNS protocol does not play nice with inadyn and getting the IP to update can be a real PITA.

So, there is a cron job solution, but it seems to have stopped working for at least one user. One of the topics of discussion in the thread is that inadyn simply does not work. I found some inadyn documentation that provides the following syntax (verbatim) for configuring namecheap dynamic DNS:

Code: Select all

custom kruskakli {
    username    = myuser
    password    = mypass
    ssl         = true
    ddns-server = dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com
    ddns-path   = "/update?password=mypass&domain="
    alias       = YOURDOMAIN.TLD
}

custom namecheap {
    username    = myuser
    password    = mypass
    ssl         = true
    ddns-path   = "/update?domain=YOURDOMAIN.TLD&password=mypass&host="
    alias       = { "alpha", "beta", "gamma" }
}
Note the follwing:
  • The mypass is unique to each domain and is not your Namecheap account password. This is provided when you activate dynamic DNS on any domain on their registrar.
  • "kruskali" and "namecheap" are the names of the custom scripts. each custom script should have a different name

I interpret the above scripts to be equivalent to the following:

# Updating EXAMPLE1.COM domain
        custom EXAMPLE1 {
        username    = <namecheap username>
        password    = <domain-specific password 1>
        ssl         = true
        ddns-path   = "/update?password=<domain-specific password 1>&domain="
        alias       = EXAMPLE1.COM
    }

# Updating alpha.example2.com, beta.example2.com and gamma.example2.com
    # EXAMPLE2.COM domain and other subdomains are not updated
    custom EXAMPLE2 {
        username    = <namecheap username>
        password    = <domain-specific password 2>
        ssl         = true
        ddns-path   = "/update?domain=EXAMPLE2.COM&password=<domain-specific password 2>&host="
        alias       = { "alpha", "beta", "gamma" }
    }
    You can see that Namecheap's protocol basically assigns each domain a password protected URL extension for updates, and this is also why the cron job workaround is so elegant. However, this also means that each domain must be updated with its own password, and therefore its own update script.

It is my understanding that you can enter the script above multiple times in a single inadyn.conf for each domain, however NAS4free's GUI requires that a domain, username, and password be entered. Is there any way to leave these fields blank (when custom is selected in the drop down menu). If my understanding is correct, the username and password values will be superseded by the values defined in the custom scripts. I have entered "@" for each of these fields and the WebGUI seems to be happy.

However, the status is shown as down and the log only shows a single line:

root: inadyn service started
    I'm not sure if the lines I added to the inadyn.conf file are being executed or if my IP is being updated. Now I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Alternatively, a fix to the cron job workaround would be equivalent.

Return to “Dynamic DNS”