*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Updating the ip with freedns.afraid.org not working

Dynamic DNS services.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
himbrr
experienced User
experienced User

Updating the ip with freedns.afraid.org not working

Post by himbrr » 02 Dec 2012 16:21

Hi all,

I want to use freedns.afraid.org with nas4free, because my fritzbox router doesn't support this hoster.

I have 2 domainnames to update: example.ws www.example.ws
Separated with a space.

Also added username and password from afraid.org.
For testing I'm using a 60 seconds interval for updating.
Later the check interval will be every 30minutes and the update intervall every 12 hours.
I have no additional parameters added.

My nas4free version is 9.1.0.1 - Sandstorm (revision 531).

regards,
himbrr
Nas4Free 9.2.0.1.972, ASUS P8H77-I, 8GB RAM, Intel Celeron CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz, 5x 2TB WD Red, 1x 60GB OCZ Vertex 2

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Updating the ip with freedns.afraid.org not working

Post by al562 » 14 Dec 2012 05:35

Hi Himbrr,

I use afraid.org and a couple of others. Since I have more than one, I configure them all in dnsomatic.com, then have my NAS4Free update that.
The NAS4Free WebGUI> Services|Dynamic DNS is PHP based and sometimes has trouble parsing passwords with certain characters in them (#, /, others) that may be expanded on the command line. So a simple password is best to try at first.
A further problem may be that afraid.org uses that key for authentication rather than a user generated password. I was never able to get this to work properly through the WebGUI, so I set everything up at dnsomatic, then use the following post init in WebGUI> System|Advanced|Command scripts:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/bin/inadyn -u YourName -p YourPassword -a all.dnsomatic.com --update_period_sec 7200 --forced_update_period 2592000 --dyndns_server_name updates.dnsomatic.com --dyndns_server_url '/nic/update?' --syslog --verbose 5 --background 
Simple, one service/user setups work fine for the most part in WebGUI> Services|Dynamic DNS but my setup is too complicated, yours may be too. Try doing it this way and let us know how it works please.

All the best,
Al

himbrr
experienced User
experienced User

Post by himbrr » 15 Dec 2012 00:18

Hi Al,

I already fixed this issue. This was my fault. I read the manpage of inadyn.

For afraid.org you don't need any username and password. This don't affect the afraid.org.
You only need to fill in your domains, with their personal keys:

Code: Select all

Domain name: domain.me,BLAblAHBASDLHASDLASDKLSDBTEsT= your.domain.me,TesTTestDoMaINTesTBlaBLA=
Separate the domains and the key with commas and each domain with a whitespace.
Maybe you can hide the username and password field in future releases when choosing the afraid.org option. This would be great and less confusing :)

Kind regards,
himbrr
Nas4Free 9.2.0.1.972, ASUS P8H77-I, 8GB RAM, Intel Celeron CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz, 5x 2TB WD Red, 1x 60GB OCZ Vertex 2

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by al562 » 15 Dec 2012 04:18

Hi Himbrr,

Sorry I was late to the party :( , but glad you got it working. Thanks for the explanation, I'm sure it will help others :D .
himbrr wrote:Maybe you can hide the username and password field in future releases when choosing the afraid.org option. This would be great and less confusing
I am not one of the developers, but I will pass it on.

Regards,
Al

Return to “Dynamic DNS”