*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

VERY HIGH MEMORY USAGE.. 85% AT IDLE

XigmaNAS Basic Tune-up
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Transistor1
NewUser
NewUser

VERY HIGH MEMORY USAGE.. 85% AT IDLE

Post by Transistor1 » 05 Jan 2019 10:15

Hi all..

I just install, XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6315, at a usb stick.. ( embedded istallation )
When i login to GUI i see 85% memory usage at idle..
I have 2 GB of ram and with previous version ( 9.2 shigawire ) i had about 20% usage..

If i try to list the total files of a directory, with thousand files, my ram reaches 99% and system begin using swap file, but after a little it becomes complete unresponsive and i have to hard reset it..

IS it normal this high RAM usage at idle? ( I noticed that Wired Ram has the most % usage.. )
Is there a way to unload something so i have more RAM available?

I m using the NAS mainly for streaming media, as a central files storing device and occasionally for torrents..

Snufkin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: VERY HIGH MEMORY USAGE.. 85% AT IDLE

Post by Snufkin » 05 Jan 2019 10:55

Transistor1 wrote:
05 Jan 2019 10:15
If i try to list the total files of a directory, with thousand files, my ram reaches 99% and system begin using swap file, but after a little it becomes complete unresponsive and i have to hard reset it..
Sorry, had no chance to answer your MOVE SWAP FILE FROM USB TO A LOCAL DISK ( EMBEDDED SYSTEM ) post overnight :D, fell asleep.

I think, you mistakenly used FreeBSD Memory Disk for your SWAP file.

Code: Select all

/dev/md3
Using swap to free RAM by putting swap file in RAM disk is not what you want, isn't it?

For a while I'd suggest reverting your XigmaNAS swap settings to their defaults, e.g. device and /dev/da0s2b. Then it's good idea idea to monitor swap usage for some time, weeks, may be months. At the end you'll be able to understand if you actually need swap file on HDD or you can leave it in default location.
EDIT: Just checked, default boot USB swap partition is /dev/da0p3
XNAS 11.3.0.4 embedded, ASUS P5B-E, Intel DC E6600, 4 GB DDR2, 2 x HGST HDN726040ALE614, 2 x WDC WD5000AAKS, Ippon Back Power Pro 400

Transistor1
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Transistor1 » 05 Jan 2019 13:02

Thanks again Snufkin for all of your help!!! :D
I think you 're right.. i dont want swap file to be at my RAM, at all..
I have little amount of RAM, so i would prefer HDD for my swap.. ( File not partition, as i don't want to mess with my Data, creating partitions )
Default configuration puts swap at /dev/da2s2b.. A partition at my usb stick, but i read that read - right operations might destroy it..
I had the same problem with default swap location too.. After a little my RAM hits 99% and then it starts using swap.. then the system become unresponsive..
My problem is the little amount of rAM i have..
At idle it shows 85% usage..
Is there a way to unload things i dont need?
Thanks again and happy new year!!! :)

EDIT: I have found a way for using HDD ( through commands ), but i need to write a line to /etc/fstab, but this file don't keep the changes at reboot ( embedded system ).
So every time i rebbot, i must manually give 4 - 5 commands..

Snufkin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Snufkin » 05 Jan 2019 15:19

Transistor1 wrote:
05 Jan 2019 13:02
Default configuration puts swap at /dev/da2s2b.. A partition at my usb stick, but i read that read - right operations might destroy it.
Would you like to follow advice to restore default swap configuration?
If yes, then
  1. look at Diagnostics | Information | Partitions tab,
  2. find there info about /dev/da0 device, it's USB stick for embedded installation,
  3. look at line with freebsd-swap words and note the number immediately before the words, this is swap partition number, default is 3,
  4. go to System | Advanced | Swap page,
  5. select Type: device and enter Device: /dev/da0p3, where 3 is swap partition number noted earlier,
  6. save changes, the page will refresh immediately to reflect swap status,
  7. go to Status | System page and make sure swap status is OK,
  8. save your config.xml file.
This is the point where you can start monitoring memory and swap usage in Status | Processes page
Transistor1 wrote:
At idle it shows 85% usage.
It's fine, because the XigmaNAS memory footprint became bigger since 9.2 Shigawire.
Why should memory be idle when it is available? :)
I had positive experience running my old NAS with 2 GB RAM on board only.
XNAS 11.3.0.4 embedded, ASUS P5B-E, Intel DC E6600, 4 GB DDR2, 2 x HGST HDN726040ALE614, 2 x WDC WD5000AAKS, Ippon Back Power Pro 400

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 14 Jan 2019 15:47

Transistor1 wrote:
Thanks again Snufkin for all of your help!!! :D
I think you 're right.. i dont want swap file to be at my RAM, at all..
I have little amount of RAM, so i would prefer HDD for my swap.. ( File not partition, as i don't want to mess with my Data, creating partitions )
Default configuration puts swap at /dev/da2s2b.. A partition at my usb stick, but i read that read - right operations might destroy it..
I had the same problem with default swap location too.. After a little my RAM hits 99% and then it starts using swap.. then the system become unresponsive..
My problem is the little amount of rAM i have..
At idle it shows 85% usage..
Is there a way to unload things i dont need?
Do a full install (ZFSonRoot install) to free RAM used by embeded to load XigmaNAS <- You need a good brand USB device .

If USB is 16GB in size, you can define 8GB for XigmaNAS Boot and 16GB as Swap,
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 29 Jan 2019 09:13

Transistor1 wrote:
05 Jan 2019 10:15
Hi all..

I just install, XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6315, at a usb stick.. ( embedded istallation )
When i login to GUI i see 85% memory usage at idle..
I have 2 GB of ram and with previous version ( 9.2 shigawire ) i had about 20% usage..
Not anymore with latest XigmaNAS, and there is nothing you can you do about it, but keep reading.

XigmaNAS Embedded need to extract the OS each time its boot into a few memory disks(RAM disks), thus consuming nearly 2GB of RAM as for this version/revision, and that is the Embedded physiology for this NAS appliance from the beginning so is completely expected(except for the Full Platforms), hence the ~85% RAM consumption for 2GB systems right after installation.

However if you want to free up as much as 2GB of RAM and use your existing/older hardware for just a NAS, you will be better of running XigmaNAS RootOnZFS platform(Full Platform running on UFS don't even worth mentioning), it will give you the best protection and even better upgrade/rollback procedures from the WebGUI, you just need to use a branded USB3.0 as a minimum OS install media, though HDD/SSD's is recommended for Full platform.

Also if you don't have a UPS, you don't have to worry about power outages that kills the boot process on Embedded/Full UFS platforms due their legacy/weak UFS filesystem, just tuning the ZFS ARC to "~256M" on your case will be enough.

Just let us know and we can help you to tune your system for XigmaNAS RootOnZFS and 2GB RAM.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
[urln=http://]JoseMRPubServ[/urln]
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “XigmaNAS Basic Tune-up”