*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Unable to boot - No such file or directory

If you are new on this forum and you don't know where to post please use this sub-forum. Somebody will answer your question and/or will move your topic into the right sub-forum.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Unable to boot - No such file or directory

Post by Elmojo » 11 Sep 2019 18:33

Hi all,
I'm sorry to drop in with such faint info, but I'm at a total loss here, and don't even know where to begin. I can't even tell tell what version this thing is running.
I've inherited the care of a FreeNAS machine from someone else, as part of a CPA office I manage. I know absolutely zero about FreeNAS, but this is what they are using for their file server. They called me Monday in a panic, saying that they can't access the server.
They sent a photo, and I see a message that says (among other things):
mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 : No such file or directory
mount -o ro /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 /conf/default/etc failed: dropping into /bin/sh

I've done some searches, and it seems like maybe FreeNAS is corrupt somehow?
They had a bad storm, but they said the machine had been shut down and unplugged prior to any power outages, so I'm not sure what could have happened.

I don't even know where to begin... any help?

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Unable to boot - No such file or directory

Post by jamaroney » 12 Sep 2019 01:01

XigmaNAS was formerly called NAS4Free. FreeNAS is not the same - please go to FreeNAS forums.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 » 12 Sep 2019 02:16

Elmojo wrote:
11 Sep 2019 18:33
Hi all,
I'm sorry to drop in with such faint info, but I'm at a total loss here, and don't even know where to begin. I can't even tell tell what version this thing is running.
I've inherited the care of a FreeNAS machine from someone else, as part of a CPA office I manage. I know absolutely zero about FreeNAS, but this is what they are using for their file server. They called me Monday in a panic, saying that they can't access the server.
They sent a photo, and I see a message that says (among other things):
mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 : No such file or directory
mount -o ro /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 /conf/default/etc failed: dropping into /bin/sh

I've done some searches, and it seems like maybe FreeNAS is corrupt somehow?
They had a bad storm, but they said the machine had been shut down and unplugged prior to any power outages, so I'm not sure what could have happened.

I don't even know where to begin... any help?
It sounds like your boot device got corrupted, you can try to run fsck. The better option would be to create a new boot media and restore config.xml from a recent configuration backup.
1) XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U2, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, SLOG: Samsung 850 Pro, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro, Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB , services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U2, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 12 Sep 2019 03:46

jamaroney wrote:
12 Sep 2019 01:01
XigmaNAS was formerly called NAS4Free. FreeNAS is not the same - please go to FreeNAS forums.
I sent to the current FreeNAS forums, and they sent me here, since I'm running an old version.
ms49434 wrote:
12 Sep 2019 02:16
It sounds like your boot device got corrupted, you can try to run fsck. The better option would be to create a new boot media and restore config.xml from a recent configuration backup.
Thanks for the reply!
I sure hope it's something simple like that. However, knowing next to nothing about this system, how would I accomplish said steps? I seriously doubt there are any config backups, unless the system happens to do them automatically. No one has been really admin'ing this system for quite a while. I handle the IT for the rest of the office, but the server was just sorta 'there' when I can on the scene, and they didn't want to upgrade or replace it, since it was working at the time. I warned them that if it kaboomed, I may not be able to help, but I'm giving it a shot, since they're good people.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 12 Sep 2019 12:16

boot from live USB or liveCD then search for confi.xml on /conf. save it.

done.

You only need to do a fresh install and try to restore config from webGUI or use it like a guide to configure your NAS from scratch.

There are simmilar post here.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 12 Sep 2019 15:35

So are you saying I should perform a new install of the current version? Being that my installed version is so old, wouldn't that mean that I'd have to setup and configure everything for access in their office like a new machine? I just don't know enough (anything) about FreeNAS (or whatever it's called now) to be comfortable doing that.
Or are you saying that I can use the LiveUSB as a recovery environment to pull a backup of the config from the existing installation? If the latter, where would I find instructions for doing this? Please keep in mind that I have no experience working on this system, so I'd need some fairly detailed hand-holding instructions. I am somewhat comfortable working in a CLE, if that helps the cause any.
Thanks for any help!

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 12 Sep 2019 17:27

please do some test.

use a VM or a real old machine and make confortale with Xigmanas Install.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 12 Sep 2019 17:39

raulfg3 wrote:
12 Sep 2019 17:27
please do some test.

I'm sorry, that's just not an option. I don't have the resources to perform such tests. My client won't pay for that. I just need some direction on the best way to recover their existing installation, if that's possible. Surely someone here has experience with this problem and can point me to a tutorial or some directions on how to get a crashed system back up without having to learn the whole ecosystem?

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 » 12 Sep 2019 18:16

Elmojo wrote:
12 Sep 2019 17:39
raulfg3 wrote:
12 Sep 2019 17:27
please do some test.

I'm sorry, that's just not an option. I don't have the resources to perform such tests. My client won't pay for that. I just need some direction on the best way to recover their existing installation, if that's possible. Surely someone here has experience with this problem and can point me to a tutorial or some directions on how to get a crashed system back up without having to learn the whole ecosystem?
You need to create an installation media, there's no way around it, so just do it. The installation media can be created on a different machine, there's no need to stress the old box with that.
With the installation media you can try to access/repair your corrupted media. If the corrupted media is a USB stick, you can perform this configuration recovery task on a different machine.
You should make a dd backup of the corrupted media, just in case...

If you cannot recover the configuration from the corrupted media, you need to prepare a new boot device with the help of the installation media and you need to configure the system from scratch. Importing disks, software RAID's and ZFS pools is a no-brainer but the user and service configuration is challenging without further knowledge of the system and the infrastructure.

If you can recover the configuration file and the /etc/prd.* files from the corrupted media it is possible to determine the original firmware version. In the next step you can create a new boot device, either with the original firmware or the latest nitty-gritty version, depending on your platform.

So far you haven't provided any information about your box, the FreeNAS version etc. There are users around willing to help but unfortunately crystal balls are out of stock.
1) XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U2, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, SLOG: Samsung 850 Pro, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro, Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB , services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U2, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 12 Sep 2019 20:21

Elmojo wrote:
12 Sep 2019 03:46
jamaroney wrote:
12 Sep 2019 01:01
I sent to the current FreeNAS forums, and they sent me here, since I'm running an old version.
ms49434 wrote:
12 Sep 2019 02:16
Thanks for the reply!
I sure hope it's something simple like that. However, knowing next to nothing about this system, how would I accomplish said steps? I seriously doubt there are any config backups, unless the system happens to do them automatically. No one has been really admin'ing this system for quite a while. I handle the IT for the rest of the office, but the server was just sorta 'there' when I can on the scene, and they didn't want to upgrade or replace it, since it was working at the time. I warned them that if it kaboomed, I may not be able to help, but I'm giving it a shot, since they're good people.

I really don't know why they sent you here for support, as jamaroney already denoted, we changed name from the legacy FreeNAS 0.7.x code and I'm pretty sure those use "ufsid/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" rather than "ufs/FreeNASsX", either they are trying to avoid you, or they just don't even know nothing about their product.

To backup my above assumptions, I will show here some simple screenshots that shows some basic information that proof that you are using FreeNAS 8.x/9.x family from iXsystems.

FreeNAS from iXsystems: (Notice the "ufs/FreeNASsX" labels)

FreeNAS Legacy 0.7.x formerly NAS4Free, now XigmaNAS: (Notice the "ufsid/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" instead labels)

My advice is to go back to them(iX) for support, also you can use this reference in case they still think you are using our product, nonetheless, I'm pretty sure we can still help you regardless.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 12 Sep 2019 21:24

ms49434 wrote:
12 Sep 2019 18:16
You need to create an installation media, there's no way around it, so just do it. The installation media can be created on a different machine....
This is very helpful info, thanks! I'll look into creating a temporary installation media and see if I can use that to recover anything for them.
Your suggestion about recreating the original FW is helpful as well. I'll poke around in the help files and see what I can find.
I haven't provided any additional info, because I don't have it. I know nothing about the installation, and the system won't boot, so I can't pull additional details. I don't have physical access to the machine at this point, so I'm doing it all 2nd hand, based on the description and photos from the client. I hate working this way, but it's all I have at the moment. I appreciate your patience and willingness to help. Anything you folks know about this system and how to revive it is worlds more than what I can do alone. :)

To JoseMR's point, I believe they sent me here because my install is so old, and the newer iX versions have been forked off to different code, or at least that's how they explained it to me.
I feel like things should be similar enough for someone to be able to point me in the right direction, but I understand people not wanting to waste time supporting obsolete software.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 » 12 Sep 2019 21:28

Reference to the FreeNAS thread at iXsystems: Unable to boot - No such file or directory

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 13 Sep 2019 00:47

ms49434 wrote:
12 Sep 2019 21:28
Reference to the FreeNAS thread at iXsystems: Unable to boot - No such file or directory
Haha yes, that's my thread, where they sent me here. :)

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 13 Sep 2019 01:10

Elmojo wrote:
13 Sep 2019 00:47
ms49434 wrote:
12 Sep 2019 21:28
Haha yes, that's my thread, where they sent me here. :)

Hi Elmojo, please can you have access to the corrupted system and execute the below command after dropping to /bin/sh, and confirm us what version you are running exactly:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/version

Also from there, please execute the below command to try to check and fix for corrupted UFS filesystems:

Code: Select all

fsck -y
After executing "fsck -y" you will see something like this(scrolled up to show your corrupted filesystem):

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 13 Sep 2019 01:24

I will certainly try that!
Will I be able to do that command with the system not booting properly?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 13 Sep 2019 02:05

Elmojo wrote:
13 Sep 2019 01:24
I will certainly try that!
Will I be able to do that command with the system not booting properly?

Hi, yes you can run "fsck -y" from the console without problems.

Alternatively you can boot in single user mode then hit Enter after "Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:" prompt, then run the aforementioned command.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 13 Sep 2019 02:11

Ok, great. I'll try to get by the client's location tomorrow and see what additional info I can dig up. Thanks for your help thus far.
Once I have a version nailed down, I'm sure that'll help with what the next course of action should be.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 14 Sep 2019 00:52

Whilst travelling, get ready to get a couple of USB sticks of around 8 GB in your toolbox. One will be your installation media, the other where you'll install it. The installation media can be made a LiveUSB one to get things up without modifying anything.
Main: Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS on Supermicro X8DT3. zroot on mirrorred pair of CRUCIAL_CT64M225. Memory: 24GB ECC; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 Tb in raidZ1, 1 x 3 Tb SAS drive as single stripe.
Spare1: HP DL580 G5; 128 GB ECC RAM; 4 CPU; 8 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare2: HP DL360 G7; 6 GB ECC RAM; 1 Xeon CPU; 5 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare3: HP DL380 G7; 24 GB ECC RAM; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; 8 x 500 GB disks on IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 14 Sep 2019 03:45

cookiemonster wrote:
14 Sep 2019 00:52
Whilst travelling, get ready to get a couple of USB sticks of around 8 GB in your toolbox. One will be your installation media, the other where you'll install it. The installation media can be made a LiveUSB one to get things up without modifying anything.
Great info, thanks. I'll pick up a couple over the weekend.
Does it have to be installed on a USB drive? I think it's currently on an internal drive. I say I think, because I've only seen this machine in person once, and I don't recall seeing a USB drive plugged in anywhere.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by cookiemonster » 14 Sep 2019 23:19

Hi. This will explain it better that anything https://www.xigmanas.com/index.php?id=17.
But you need a crash course being new to it. You can decide later based on the hardware and how hands-off you want to keep it, whether to go full install or embedded.
I suggest first to use LiveUSB. This way will allow to fully boot and try to see what's it got for hardware, investigate what's broken and pull from it information that will be useful to recover to a usable state, hardware permitting.
Be prepared to learn quick some freebsd fundamentals, as being a unix family system at the base, most of its power comes from the command line. The more of that you have the better.

What Xigmanas does is put a nice GUI on top of a small freeBSD based kernel with some powerful features for a NAS appliance. That's it's origin. On top of that it can if wanted, be extended with additional features for convenience but that's optional.

Our first task is going to be to ready to start it up and look under the covers.
I suggest download and install the LiveUSB version on the first usb stick. Try it before going to site on one of your pcs. Plug it in, restart the machine and verify (setting bios to boot from usb) that the Xigmanas system comes up. From source forge https://sourceforge.net/projects/xigmanas/files/XigmaNAS-11.2.0.4/11.2.0.4.6766/ you can choose liveusb gpt, mbr or livecd. I'd start with liveusb mbr as it sounds it's an old machine so mbr will have a better chance of making it simpler. If the old machine can't/won't boot to usb, then you could try livecd if it has a cd drive it can boot from. I'd leave liveusb gpt as third choice.
Once on site, plug the prepared usb stick in, start the machine, let it boot up and we'll take it from there.
If it is already up but just running all crooked but you're ok with command line and some familiarity with linux/unix/bsd systems, you could of course have a look without rebooting first.
Main: Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS on Supermicro X8DT3. zroot on mirrorred pair of CRUCIAL_CT64M225. Memory: 24GB ECC; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 Tb in raidZ1, 1 x 3 Tb SAS drive as single stripe.
Spare1: HP DL580 G5; 128 GB ECC RAM; 4 CPU; 8 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare2: HP DL360 G7; 6 GB ECC RAM; 1 Xeon CPU; 5 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare3: HP DL380 G7; 24 GB ECC RAM; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; 8 x 500 GB disks on IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 15 Sep 2019 02:50

Thanks cookiemonster, that's extremely helpful info. I'll do that and report back. I'm scheduled to visit the site on Monday to see what I can find out.

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 16 Sep 2019 21:30

Ok, update!
I went to the machine today, and gathered some info.
It's running FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 x64 on a Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF machine. It has a Core i3-3200, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM.
I have both the flash drive that FreeNAS is installed on (corrupt) and the liveUSB that I currently have XigmaNAS 11.2 on in my possession, back at my office.
I was hoping that I could simply copy the config over from the corrupt drive to the new one and mostly be back up and running. However, I can't seem to access either flash drive on either my Windows PC, or a physical Linux machine running POP! OS. In both cases, I get errors about the file system not being recognized. That doesn't surprise me on Windows, but why can't Linux read them?
What would my next step be? I can plug the new XigmaNAS in and get them back up and running, but I have no way of knowing how the system was configured for access, users, services, etc...

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 16 Sep 2019 23:52

Elmojo wrote:
16 Sep 2019 21:30
Ok, update!
I went to the machine today, and gathered some info.
It's running FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 x64 on a Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF machine. It has a Core i3-3200, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM.
I have both the flash drive that FreeNAS is installed on (corrupt) and the liveUSB that I currently have XigmaNAS 11.2 on in my possession, back at my office.
I was hoping that I could simply copy the config over from the corrupt drive to the new one and mostly be back up and running. However, I can't seem to access either flash drive on either my Windows PC, or a physical Linux machine running POP! OS. In both cases, I get errors about the file system not being recognized. That doesn't surprise me on Windows, but why can't Linux read them?
What would my next step be? I can plug the new XigmaNAS in and get them back up and running, but I have no way of knowing how the system was configured for access, users, services, etc...

Hi Elmojo, Thank you so much for confirming that my previous assumptions HERE were as I expected. :mrgreen:

About that system hardware resources, it seems like a good candidate for XigmaNAS Full RootOnZFS, as it can be upgraded by WebGUI, it does not waste static RAM space for the OS plus it uses ZFS so you will have NO corruption problem even in a sudden power outage. ;) , between at the expense of a step learning curve on how to install and configure an NAS appliance from the ground.

As for the "why can't Linux read" the UFS stick, is simply because Linux default filesystems are EXT2/3/4, BTRFS, JFS/XFS, FAT16/32 but few popular distros can also mount NTFS among others, but you can't simply plug and read UFS, but HERE is some information that can give you an idea on how to enable and mount UFS in Linux, between I would use the command-line(CLI) on a FreeBSD machine to try to fix and/or gather the configuration for such USB stick if you want to stay with the same OS, more below.

Now that you have the right information and proof that you are indeed using FreeNAS 9.x by iXsystems, you can re-visit they forums so the FreeNAS experts and gurus can give you the exact information you need to pull the last changed configuration file(a .db file IIRC), so all you need is to download the same version product(from they archive site) and prepare a new quality USB stick or even better a decent 2.5" small HDD or SSD for best reliability, and restore the configuration you recovered from the old USB stick.

P.S. If you feel that you can configure a NAS from the ground, you are more than welcome here and well try our best to help you out, however if you want to go the easy route, you need to go back to they forum as previously denoted to get help on pulling the right configuration you need to restore on the new install.

Regards and good luck.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 17 Sep 2019 01:05

Hi Elmojo, FYI, as per this thread the old configuration.db file you want to backup is located right below "/data", just try to mount your older USB stick from FreeBSD, XigmaNAS Live, Linux or even from a FreeBSD Desktop distro such as GhostBSD if you want to escape the CLI, though you may still need some, between don't just trust on my words, ask on they forum and double check.

Sample file access from SSH/FileZilla screenshot:

TIP: Avoid inserting media with foreign filesystems to Windows, as you may accidentally format them since Windows don't know them and will treat your USB stick as either corrupted or unallocated, hence will popup a format confirmation dialog.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 17 Sep 2019 03:53

Thanks so much JoseMR, so helpful!!
ZFS sounds amazing, but when I jumped into the installer to check it out on my test bench machine, it said I had to install it on a RAID. This machine only has one internal drive. Did I miss something?
I'm setting up a live session of GhostBSD right now to see if maybe I can use it to recover any of the config info off the old USB drive. Thanks for those tips, and that very useful screenshot.
I tried several other options to read UFS on my WIn7 PC, but none of them worked.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 17 Sep 2019 04:21

Elmojo wrote:
17 Sep 2019 03:53
Thanks so much JoseMR, so helpful!!
ZFS sounds amazing, but when I jumped into the installer to check it out on my test bench machine, it said I had to install it on a RAID. This machine only has one internal drive. Did I miss something?
I'm setting up a live session of GhostBSD right now to see if maybe I can use it to recover any of the config info off the old USB drive. Thanks for those tips, and that very useful screenshot.
I tried several other options to read UFS on my WIn7 PC, but none of them worked.

Hi, If you are trying out XigmaNAS Platforms, please always test in a spare/test machine or even on VM's such as VirtualBox, as for the RootOnZFS wanting to install into RAID, you can install just on a single drive to multiples drives depending on your needs, you may want to take a look in the RootOnZFS Install Manual to get a basic idea, bear in mind that RootOnZFS is best installed into internal HDD or SSD's for reliability, and on multiple drives for redundancy but not necessarily mandatory.

As for recovering the configs.db files, you can also boot XigmaNAS Live Media on a test/spare machine, then insert the old USB stick, then import and mount the stick thru the XigmaNAS WebGUI and use the built-in file manager to download the wanted content from "/data".

Also note that FreeNAS(iX) and XigmaNAS configuration files are not compatible each other, FreeNAS uses a .db(database) and XigmaNAS uses a .xml(extensible markup language), hence you can't simply import the FreeNAS config into XigmaNAS and vise-versa, so just to let you know.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 17 Sep 2019 04:42

JoseMR wrote:
17 Sep 2019 04:21

As for recovering the configs.db files, you can also boot XigmaNAS Live Media on a test/spare machine, then insert the old USB stick, then import and mount the stick thru the XigmaNAS WebGUI and use the built-in file manager to download the wanted content from "/data".

Also note that FreeNAS(iX) and XigmaNAS configuration files are not compatible each other, FreeNAS uses a .db(database) and XigmaNAS uses a .xml(extensible markup language), hence you can't simply import the FreeNAS config into XigmaNAS and vise-versa, so just to let you know.

Regards
That's a great idea about importing the stick through the GUI, I'll try that!
Your comment about the incompatibility of the configs is probably the most important thing I've read all day. It makes perfect sense, no idea why I hadn't thought of it before!

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 17 Sep 2019 05:03

Ok, I have the USB stick mounted in my XigmaNAS live session, and I can see the files!!
I don't see a [Data] directory in there anywhere. Do you happen to know the full path? How deep should I be digging?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 17 Sep 2019 06:05

Elmojo wrote:
17 Sep 2019 05:03
Ok, I have the USB stick mounted in my XigmaNAS live session, and I can see the files!!
I don't see a [Data] directory in there anywhere. Do you happen to know the full path? How deep should I be digging?

Hi, if you correctly mounted the old USB stick the location should be below /mnt, I will post here some screenshots that may help you out.

After boot XigmaNAS Live, first import the drives and locate the wanted device name(the old USB):

Now Mount the Slice #4 from this USB stick:

Now use the built-in file manager and recover the wanted file:

Sorry for the images too big, was in a hurry.
Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 17 Sep 2019 14:43

Oh man, JoseMR, you are a genius! I never even thought of having to select slice 4 manually!
However, I'm still so close, yet so far! See the screenshot... still errors! Bad stick maybe, or did I do something wrong?

ImageImage

Return to “Newbie Questions”