Sorry we lost some posts because of database errors!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-09-01: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7728 - released

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-08-27: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7718 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Upgrading from LiveUSB won't find my installation

For "upgrading" from FreeNAS/NAS4Free Legacy to XigmaNAS and upgrading XigmaNAS to newer builds.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Viper780
Starter
Starter

Upgrading from LiveUSB won't find my installation

Post by Viper780 »

I have here a Xigmanas box (newer 12.1 Version) which I want to upgrade per LiveUSB.
But when entering the menu and selecting upgrade, the installer just says that the installation couldn't be found.

Anything to do that it is on a RootOnZFS partition?

Do I need to completely install it from scratch? Is there any way to save the data partition on the same drive?

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading from LiveUSB won't find my installation

Post by raulfg3 »

save your actual config in a safe place and do a new fresh install, thenrestore your config, and all must work.
12.1.0.4 - Ingva (revision 7743) on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 11x3TB disk in 1 vdev = Vpool = 32TB Raw size , so 29TB usable size (I Have other NAS as Backup)

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Viper780 wrote:
19 Oct 2020 21:58
I have here a Xigmanas box (newer 12.1 Version) which I want to upgrade per LiveUSB.
But when entering the menu and selecting upgrade, the installer just says that the installation couldn't be found.

Anything to do that it is on a RootOnZFS partition?

Do I need to completely install it from scratch? Is there any way to save the data partition on the same drive?
Hello, I don't quiet follow this question :?:

XigmaNAS RootOnZFS Platforms can and should be upgraded only with the upgrade base TXZ file, named like: "XigmaNAS-x64-full-12.1.0.4.XXXX.txz" by using the WebGUI [System > Firmware Update]:
Screenshot from 2020-10-19 19-47-06.png

Or by CLI by executing "/etc/rc.firmware"(advanced):

Code: Select all

xigmanas: ~# /etc/rc.firmware -h
Usage: rc.firmware [option] | [upgrade | fullupgrade file]
    enable       Create a RAM disk in /var/tmp/ftmp.
    disable      Erase RAM disk.
    upgrade      Perform an embedded platform upgrade using the .XZ file.
    fullupgrade  Perform a full platform upgrade using the .TXZ file.

An this time, the *LiveMedia can only upgrade Embedded Full Platforms running on legacy UFS filesystem, though the installer can be adjusted to also upgrade RootOnZFS Platforms under a new Boot Environment, but I find using the .TXZ file with either the WebGUI or by SSH/CLI more than adequate for the task. ;)

If for some reason the target server don't have an internet connection, simply download the upgrade file TXZ and transfer it to your NAS and install it by CLI as follow:

Code: Select all

/etc/rc.firmware enable
/etc/rc.firmware fullupgrade /path/to/XigmaNAS-x64-full-12.1.0.4.XXXX.txz
Between maybe I could add to the Boot Environments Manager a Local firmware upgrade file browser as an alternative, rather than browsing external upgrade files. :idea:

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Viper780
Starter
Starter

Post by Viper780 »

@raul
I did a new install anyway, just wondered. I safe the config once a week per script on the storage and move it from there on my desktop.
But all data in the dataset was lost (nothing to important anyway)

@Jose
WebGUI wasn't starting anymore (had a Thread open for it but got lost in the forums crash). Also SSH login wasn't possible because of some missing files (failed upgrade attempt)
The way over CLI is new to me and sounds very nice if you have several Xigmanas - i'll keep it in mind.

Just to because I'm curious how would I Upgrade RootOnZFS from LiveBoot / new BE?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Viper780 wrote:
20 Oct 2020 18:04
@Jose
WebGUI wasn't starting anymore (had a Thread open for it but got lost in the forums crash). Also SSH login wasn't possible because of some missing files (failed upgrade attempt)
Remember that you can always Rollback the current Boot Environment to a previous working one from the CLI/Console or even from the boot-loader menu for convenience, that is one of the real benefits from RootOnZFS platform, it will never let you down with a failed upgrade attempt.

Viper780 wrote:
20 Oct 2020 18:04
Just to because I'm curious how would I Upgrade RootOnZFS from LiveBoot / new BE?
This is not recommended unless the user is expert with ZFS and CLI.

This functionality is not added to the Advanced RootOnZFS installer yet, since the Boot Environments utility don't work on *LiveMedia as expected, it should be performed manually and require some work and enough ZFS knowledge, failing to do so may result in data lost and/or a corrupted/unbootable system.

Since this Upgrade method is not so critical, I will find free time to add the RootOnZFS LiveMedia boot environments upgrades too to the ZFS installer when time permits.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Viper780
Starter
Starter

Post by Viper780 »

JoseMR wrote:
20 Oct 2020 18:45
Remember that you can always Rollback the current Boot Environment to a previous working one from the CLI/Console or even from the boot-loader menu for convenience, that is one of the real benefits from RootOnZFS platform, it will never let you down with a failed upgrade attempt.
but i need a working login for that.
Need to dig deeper what RootOnZFS has to offer

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Viper780 wrote:
20 Oct 2020 22:27
JoseMR wrote:
20 Oct 2020 18:45
but i need a working login for that.
Need to dig deeper what RootOnZFS has to offer
Absolutely no need for a working login for a Boot Environment rollback, just reboot the machine and with a keyboard/monitor connected press spacebar during the Boot-loader menu appears to pause it, then browse for previous Boot Environments states, I will definitely recommend to learn more about FreeBSD ZFS Boot Environments and they power, unfortunately most RootOnZFS users are unaware of them. :cry:

Here are some screenshots of the Boot-loader menu, Boot Environments navigation, look option #7:
VirtualBox_XigmaNAS Full_20_10_2020_17_16_54.png
VirtualBox_XigmaNAS Full_20_10_2020_17_17_12.png
VirtualBox_XigmaNAS Full_20_10_2020_17_17_35.png
VirtualBox_XigmaNAS Full_20_10_2020_17_17_47.png
VirtualBox_XigmaNAS Full_20_10_2020_17_18_01.png

Pro tips:
*You can literally select any of the previous Boot Environments shown there, and if work as expected, simply activate it after boot.

*If you need missing files from a corrupted latest state, then simply Mount that Boot Environments and gather the files you want.

*If you have a very complex RootOnZFS setup, simply Export that Boot Environment to a local data share, so you can simply import back your latest complex state even if your RootOnZFS disk or mirror completely fails, or if the system get severely borked to unbootable state, this is because the exported Boot Environment contains the whole OS in an image file, you can even import them into another host running the same XigmaNAS OS version.

Be aware that the user created Dataset during installation is not appended into the Boot Environments exports, so if you have critical data there always make your regular backup as usual, this is a default since the user Data always should be keep separate from the OS.

There is indeed much much more to talk about ZFS/Boot Environments enterprise features but I simply mentioned the most basic ones for home usage, so last but not least a properly managed RootOnZFS installation should be just bullet proof.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Return to “Upgrade XigmaNAS”