Latest News:
2019-03-31: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6625 - released!

Latest BETA Release:
2019-03-31: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6625 - BETA released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS cost money, please consider a donation to our project so we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

ZFS vdev's/pools vs JBOD

New installs of XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
rbjtech
NewUser
NewUser

ZFS vdev's/pools vs JBOD

Post by rbjtech » 20 Feb 2019 21:52

Hi,

I'm new to ZFS so please bear with me ;)

I'm attempting to use XigmaNAS as a backup solution to another file system replacing what was a simple JBOD array with multiple shares, one per physical HDD - no resiliency.

The reason for looking at an alternative is I wanted to try and amalgamate all the shares into a single share BUT keep the other disks fully working in the event of losing one.

Now I fully understand that RAID 0 (vDev Stripes) is NOT what I want here, as losing a single disk renders my entire backup solution useless - so my thoughts are to create a vDev, Pool and share per physical disk but of course this is no better than the original JBOD ..

So my question is what advantages does ZFS give me (in the above configuration) that JBOD does not ?

Many Thanks.

rbjtech
NewUser
NewUser

Re: ZFS vdev's/pools vs JBOD

Post by rbjtech » 20 Feb 2019 22:20

..so partially answering my own question :-S

Just tested the config by removing a disk from the multiple but independent stripe setup and rebooting, XigmaNAS reports the disk as 'MISSING' but the good news is the other shares work just fine and are not impacted.

I'm presuming that if I had failed motherboard/usb boot hardware/software, I could simply import each disk ?

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 21 Feb 2019 12:32

sorry, not possible what you want exactly.

you can create a raidZ1 and store on it several shares (DATASET) on it and is resilet to 1 disk fail.

is a better way to share the disks because free space of one disk, are for all the shares on ZPOOL (if you mount each disk as a separate vedev, and zpool, the free space on one disk is only usefull for the share of this disk is not shared with the rest of the disk do you have) and have none advantages over your actual JOBD config apart the ZFS checksuming..
12.0.0.4 - BETA (revision 6625)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes
Old Wiki

rbjtech
NewUser
NewUser

Post by rbjtech » 21 Feb 2019 12:58

ok - thanks for the reply - I'll try the raidZ1 to see what that offers over JBOD :)

was-armandh
experienced User
experienced User

Post by was-armandh » 10 Mar 2019 09:10

you can have a single drive in a single v-dev in a single pool with a single share [same as what you have]
but combining the drives in to V-devs with out any redundancy is dangerous, these V-devs into a pool more so.
a single drive failure and all so combined are lost.
by using this free advise, you, your heirs, etc
absolve, save, and hold harmless the advisor.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 10 Mar 2019 12:14

was-armandh wrote:
10 Mar 2019 09:10
you can have a single drive in a single v-dev in a single pool with a single share [same as what you have]
but combining the drives in to V-devs with out any redundancy is dangerous, these V-devs into a pool more so.
a single drive failure and all so combined are lost.
same applies for JBOD
12.0.0.4 - BETA (revision 6625)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes
Old Wiki

rbjtech
NewUser
NewUser

Post by rbjtech » 10 Mar 2019 15:30

I went back to JBOD in the end as ZFS does not appear to cater for my requirements - creating single v-dev's, pool etc does not give me any useful benefit's over JBOD in my use case but thanks for your answers.

Return to “Install XigmaNAS”