Latest News:
*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6766 - released!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6766 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS cost money, please consider a donation to our project so we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

XigmaNAS RootOnZFS Installer Update

Posts only related to Beta Builds, all others will be removed!
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

XigmaNAS RootOnZFS Installer Update

Post by JoseMR » 14 Apr 2019 21:18

Updated thread 04/19/2019

Hello all RootOnZFS Platform users, I've had some spare time and decided to give some buffs to the ZFS installer, as well as for full GELI encryption on all RootOnZFS installer options, it is based from the bsdinstall defaults for convenience, the new added features are as follow:
  • Option for MBR/BIOS boot support for legacy/buggy-bios motherboards.
    Option for RAID10(1+0) to the installer RAID levels selection menu.
    Ability for N-Way Swap mirroring on multiple devices regardless of raid level.
    Full disks GELI encryption for the GPT installer on all raid levels.
    Full disks GELI encryption for the MBR installer on all raid levels.
    Option for Swap GELI encryption on all raid levels.
    AES-NI ready for supported hardware.

How to test:
1: Boot from latest LiveMedia.
2: Set a network connection or SSH instead.
3: Run the below one-liner or overwrite files manually.
4: Proceed to install RootOnZFS on a VM for testing.

Quick install For XigmaNAS 12.0:

Code: Select all

fetch --no-verify-peer 'https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=171plKEqIrvUanRwiz00s65yVFAgcoweI' -o RootOnZFS+GELI.zip && tar -xf RootOnZFS+GELI.zip -C /
Manual install:
Download

Quick install for XigmaNAS 11.2(No GELI):

fetch --no-verify-peer 'https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1O1Siu45TjUoK6D9PY0Oq7Sxnbfwxe8QD' -o RootOnZFS+GELI.zip && tar -xf RootOnZFS+GELI.zip -C /
Manual install:
Download

Video File: Fully Encrypted RootOnZFS Platform Demo

New MBR Option:
install_opt.png
New GELI Options
VirtualBox_XigmaNAS 12_17_04_2019_01_44_13.png

RootOnZFS/MBR limitations and/or known issues:
1: There is no Boot Environments selection available in the loader menu as expected.
2: An additional 2GB pool called "bootpool" will be displayed in the XigmaNAS index page, this is because the boot files are placed in a separate zfs pool supporting zfsboot in order to make the boot possible under BIOS-based legacy computers, see below:
limit-1.png

3: While WebGUI Firmware upgrades are non affected since the rc.firmware takes care of it, manually created Boot Environments also need manual edit on /boot/loader.conf to point for the newly created BE, e.g. "vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot/ROOT/my_new_bename", this is more of a limitation in "beadm activate" since /boot is a symlink to /bootpool which is shared across BE's, so maybe future FreeBSD/beadm releases will mitigate this limitation/bug, see below what I meant:
limit-2.png
So after manually created BE's, the user should edit "/boot/loader.conf" and also run below command to boot from the newly created BE:

zpool set bootfs=zroot/ROOT/my_new_bename zroot
This hopefully may change in future FreeBSD/beadm releases to fully support MBR.

Regardless of the inherited MBR limitations, the users will be able to run RootOnZFS on legacy but capable hardware and enjoy the ZFS benefits as well as for hassle free WebGUI Firmware upgrades. ;)

As for the GELI encryption support, I guess it will have a place for the most demanding/advanced scenarios. 8-)

Any feedback is welcome so I can push for the update changes.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

cookiemonster
experienced User
experienced User

Re: XigmaNAS RootOnZFS MBR Support

Post by cookiemonster » 14 Apr 2019 21:43

Wow, what tremendous support for legacy hardware by JoseMR. Thank you sir.
Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS on Supermicro X8DT3. zroot on mirrorred pair of CRUCIAL_CT64M225. Memory: 24GB ECC; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 Tb in raidZ1, 1 x 3 Tb SAS drive as single stripe.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 14 Apr 2019 22:08

cookiemonster wrote:
14 Apr 2019 21:43
Wow, what tremendous support for legacy hardware by JoseMR. Thank you sir.
Hey cookiemonster, thanks for the kind words much appreciated. :)

Just trying to help abit, since there's lots of good old LGA775 and AM2 that can max out to 8GB/16GB and they can be repurposed for backup on-demand devices or even home NAS'ses on the 65W ones as well ;)

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 14 Apr 2019 23:50

Hi, just to confirm that RootOnZFS/MBR can also do RAIDZx just like default one for user desired redundancy/resilience, however a Mirror is more than enough, so this is just for demonstration.

Here RootOnZFS/MBR RAIDZ2 on duty:
resilience-demo1.png

Here RootOnZFS/MBR still on duty with 2 nuked drives:
resilience-demo2.png

8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: XigmaNAS RootOnZFS Installer Update

Post by JoseMR » 16 Apr 2019 17:35

I've updated the RootOnZFS Installer, now with full GELI encryption options.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 17 Apr 2019 07:42

Alright, I've changed the installer behavior and updated source.

The GELI password is asked right after disk encryption selection without touching any disk. :oops:
The GELI providers metadata backups are moved to the new install location as it should. :)

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 17 Apr 2019 17:21

Update: 4/18/2019

I've tested the RootOnZFS/MBR(Legacy) on spare hardware with an Core 2 Duo E7600 and 4GB RAM(my firewall :lol: ) and 120GB 2.5" HDD, and GELI encryption ran perfectly fine with Crypto: Software with no noticeable performance issues.

So I've added the bits and RootOnZFS now fully supports GELI Encryption on all installer options for convenience. 8-)

Also updated links to GDrive since Serveo seems to be down due host maintenance.

Added option for RAID10(1+0) to the installer RAID levels selection menu, the list is now complete. ;)

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 18 Apr 2019 10:29

Here is another test, while this is definitely overkill, just to show the new installer option/results.

XigmaNAS RootOnZFS running on a Fully GELI encrypted RAID10 scheme:
RootOnZFS_RAID10_GELI.png
Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

doktornotor
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by doktornotor » 18 Apr 2019 12:07

:ugeek: :ugeek: 8-) 8-)

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 19 Apr 2019 02:45

Hi, this new RootOnZFS install features will take effect for the future/next 12.0 Beta/Release since this requires for a fresh RootOnZFS installation as expected.

However the bug fixes for the upgrade progress to respect rc.conf/loader.conf files will be added into 11.2 upcoming days as usual. ;)

In the mean time any findings/suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

bjs
Starter
Starter

Post by bjs » 24 Apr 2019 00:36

JoseMR

I want to thank you for all your work to make running XigmaNAS RootOnZFS/MBR available to us using older, consumer grade hardware!!!

After a false start, I am up and running, booting from a couple HP SSDs on a older Intel DG33FB motherboard... Gotta love putting old hardware to good use... I hope that this becomes part of the regular installer...

Thanks again!!!

Ben
XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 - Omnius RootOnZFS/MBR - HP M700 120GB SSDs
x64-full on Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz - 8GB RAM
Intel DG33FB Motherboard - LSI 9211-8i with 8TB available

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 24 Apr 2019 14:05

bjs wrote:
24 Apr 2019 00:36
JoseMR

I want to thank you for all your work to make running XigmaNAS RootOnZFS/MBR available to us using older, consumer grade hardware!!!

After a false start, I am up and running, booting from a couple HP SSDs on a older Intel DG33FB motherboard... Gotta love putting old hardware to good use... I hope that this becomes part of the regular installer...

Thanks again!!!

Ben

Hi bjs, thank you for confirm that RootOnZFS MBR is working for you on your older hardware, glad you up and running. :)

Since there is a lot of older hardware more than capable for running a NAS with RootOnZFS, such as LGA775, AM2, etc. for both consumer and server grade hardware, I've updated the installer to officially support MBR as well as for GELI encryption, and will be available for the next releases for both 11.2 and 12.0, however the installer GELI encryption options will be a 12.0 feature only.

Additionally the previous kernels will be now preserved on each RootOnZFS upgrade for convenience, handy for custom compiled kernels.

Also I've made small update to the "beadm" utility for manual BE creation/activation on MBR and waiting response on pull request, if the support for beadm on MBR is rejected, I could maintain this separately for RootOnZFS MBR only installs.

Relevant commits:
Revision 6650
Revision 6660
Revision 6661

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

bjs
Starter
Starter

Post by bjs » 26 Apr 2019 13:59

Also I've made small update to the "beadm" utility for manual BE creation/activation on MBR and waiting response on pull request
Thanks again for all your work to allow us with older hardware run XigmaNAS with RootOnZFS!!! I also contacted vermaden, the author of beadm, asking for your commit to be pulled in to the port as I believe this is also benefit to all users of FreeBSD as well as XigmaNAS with RootOnZFS/MBR installs... Hopefully this will happen soon!!! 8-)

Ben

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 26 Apr 2019 16:12

bjs wrote:
26 Apr 2019 13:59
Also I've made small update to the "beadm" utility for manual BE creation/activation on MBR and waiting response on pull request
Thanks again for all your work to allow us with older hardware run XigmaNAS with RootOnZFS!!! I also contacted vermaden, the author of beadm, asking for your commit to be pulled in to the port as I believe this is also benefit to all users of FreeBSD as well as XigmaNAS with RootOnZFS/MBR installs... Hopefully this will happen soon!!! 8-)

Ben

Thanks a lot for contacting him, really much appreciated, lets see what he thinks about though since as you've mentioned, FreeBSD MBR/BIOS installs are affected.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 26 Apr 2019 21:10

bjs wrote:
26 Apr 2019 13:59
I also contacted vermaden, the author of beadm, asking for your commit to be pulled in to the port as I believe this is also benefit to all users of FreeBSD as well as XigmaNAS with RootOnZFS/MBR installs... Hopefully this will happen soon!!! 8-)

Ben

Yep, it just happens 8-) , beadm now officially supports BE activation for ZFS installs with MBR/BIOS partitioning schemes, now its just wait until next beadm port/pkg release.

Thanks you again for contacting him, and kudos to vermaden for the awesome utility. :)

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

bjs
Starter
Starter

Post by bjs » 27 Apr 2019 13:04

JoseMR wrote:
26 Apr 2019 21:10
Yep, it just happens 8-) , beadm now officially supports BE activation for ZFS installs with MBR/BIOS partitioning schemes, now its just wait until next beadm port/pkg release.

Thanks you again for contacting him, and kudos to vermaden for the awesome utility. :)

Regards
No problem, vermaden sent me a message on the FreeBSD forums to let me know he pulled your code but I didn't see it until this morning... And the next message I send will be to the port maintainer, asking him to update beadm so this is available for everyone who uses RootOnZFS/MBR installs... 8-)

Thanks again for all you work!!!

Ben

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 28 Apr 2019 18:30

bjs wrote:
27 Apr 2019 13:04
No problem, vermaden sent me a message on the FreeBSD forums to let me know he pulled your code but I didn't see it until this morning... And the next message I send will be to the port maintainer, asking him to update beadm so this is available for everyone who uses RootOnZFS/MBR installs... 8-)

Thanks again for all you work!!!

Ben

Hi bjs, I've also fixed a critical bug that causes the system to fail booting when renaming the live(current) Boot Environment.

The issue is triggered on systems with loader.conf with the "vfs.root.mountfrom" variable present and affects any installation scheme, and mandatory for MBR and/or backward compatibility.

So please be aware of this and do not rename the live(current) BE on MBR installs and reboot until manually editing the loader config file.

The beadm bug fix found HERE for reference.

Since you have great communications with vermaden, it may worth notify him on this issue and review the pull request.

P.S I've tested the fix in all FreeBSD installs GPT/MBR with and without GELI with success.

EDIT: Merged #57 into master already. 8-)

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

bjs
Starter
Starter

Post by bjs » 30 Apr 2019 10:41

JoseMR,
EDIT: Merged #57 into master already. 8-)
I saw that... Still haven't heard anything back from the port maintainer as of yet... I did notice that he was one of the original beadm contributors, so maybe I will ask vermaden if he could help in getting the port updated in FreeBSD...

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Ben

Return to “Beta Builds (Testing Only)”