Latest News:
*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6766 - released!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6766 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Boot problem after restore settings

New installs of XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Boot problem after restore settings

Post by ptpstudio » 09 May 2019 13:20

I use xigmanas since realese and keep it updated...Yestarday cant loging there is stuck in boot screen something like this "unexpected SU+J INCONSISTENCY"
"unexpected soft update inconsistency; run fsck manually" etc..
I try already after fresh install import disk etc. I try diferent xigmanas version and older backup file but always same problem after restore config...How to fix it? Anybody know? I find problem is one of my disk when try mounting and reboot is error...How to check file system in webgui..I have data on it and smart is ok no bad sectors etc...I see nobody helpme so i fix it already..run fsck in webgui

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: Boot problem after restore settings

Post by JoseMR » 10 May 2019 12:29

ptpstudio wrote:
09 May 2019 13:20
I use xigmanas since realese and keep it updated...Yestarday cant loging there is stuck in boot screen something like this "unexpected SU+J INCONSISTENCY"
I try already after fresh install import disk etc. I try diferent xigmanas version and older backup file but always same problem after restore config...How to fix it? Anybody know? I find problem is one of my disk when try mounting and reboot is error...How to check file system in webgui..I have data on it and smart is ok no bad sectors etc...I see nobody helpme so i fix it already..run fsck in webgui

There are not many users around using UFS for critical data storage, and let alone SU+J, hence poor support on it.

When UFS or similar filesystems start to deteriorate itself my best advice is to try to backup asap as possible the important data, since "fsck" can either help you a bit or even nuke the data if something went wrong.

If this is an Embedded system and the system always fails after an upgrade(after image dding to disk), just replace the USB stick with a branded/quality one.

If the problem is on the data drive(s), as previously denoted, please backup your data and consider migrating to ZFS and forget about the "disk inconsistency syndrome", remember that ZFS is highly tunable as well.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 11 May 2019 08:31

JoseMR wrote:
10 May 2019 12:29
ptpstudio wrote:
09 May 2019 13:20

There are not many users around using UFS for critical data storage, and let alone SU+J, hence poor support on it.

When UFS or similar filesystems start to deteriorate itself my best advice is to try to backup asap as possible the important data, since "fsck" can either help you a bit or even nuke the data if something went wrong.

If this is an Embedded system and the system always fails after an upgrade(after image dding to disk), just replace the USB stick with a branded/quality one.

If the problem is on the data drive(s), as previously denoted, please backup your data and consider migrating to ZFS and forget about the "disk inconsistency syndrome", remember that ZFS is highly tunable as well.

Regards
I see fsck help me I check all disk I have now is ok...But as you said go for ZFS but question is I have 3x4TB disk and one 8TB disk I can keep them separete is ok no RAID but I donot know how this ZFS set it up. Help me please I always stock after formating to ZFS then how to continue? Do I need create some virtual drive or anything? I like it keep every drive single NO RAID.
Once I delete disk in NAS by mistake but this software, UFS explorer professional, recover everything as long there is no new data recorded to deleted drive Im able recover everything

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 11 May 2019 16:48

ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 08:31
I see fsck help me I check all disk I have now is ok...But as you said go for ZFS but question is I have 3x4TB disk and one 8TB disk I can keep them separete is ok no RAID but I donot know how this ZFS set it up. Help me please I always stock after formating to ZFS then how to continue? Do I need create some virtual drive or anything? I like it keep every drive single NO RAID.
Once I delete disk in NAS by mistake but this software, UFS explorer professional, recover everything as long there is no new data recorded to deleted drive Im able recover everything

Hello, Your disks are relatively large and you will definitely have a lot of headaches with UFS on said drives under the event of unexpected power failures(i.e. UPS, Power Supply etc.), disks URE(unrecoverable read error) raising and due disk bitrot.

However since you are not familiar with ZFS, you may want to first research about it to familiarize with, and yes ZFS will work on either separate drives(non redundant, unsafe) or as RAIDZ(redundant, safe).

Additionally you may practice in a VM on how to create ZFS vdev/pool from XigmaNAS WebGUI before you start on real hardware.

Regarding the "UFS explorer professional" recovery tool, I dunno it will support ZFS recovery from deleted drives, but this is what backups are for, and when working with non redundant single drives there should be no error margin on the user end by the way.

Nonetheless, pretty sure some can help you out on how to setup a ZFS drive in either single or as RAIDZ, but you have to make a backup of the target drive data before any attempt, even further disconnect exiting drives with important data for safety.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 11 May 2019 17:16

JoseMR wrote:
11 May 2019 16:48
ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 08:31

Hello, Your disks are relatively large and you will definitely have a lot of headaches with UFS on said drives under the event of unexpected power failures(i.e. UPS, Power Supply etc.), disks URE(unrecoverable read error) raising and due disk bitrot.

However since you are not familiar with ZFS, you may want to first research about it to familiarize with, and yes ZFS will work on either separate drives(non redundant, unsafe) or as RAIDZ(redundant, safe).

Additionally you may practice in a VM on how to create ZFS vdev/pool from XigmaNAS WebGUI before you start on real hardware.

Regarding the "UFS explorer professional" recovery tool, I dunno it will support ZFS recovery from deleted drives, but this is what backups are for, and when working with non redundant single drives there should be no error margin on the user end by the way.

Nonetheless, pretty sure some can help you out on how to setup a ZFS drive in either single or as RAIDZ, but you have to make a backup of the target drive data before any attempt, even further disconnect exiting drives with important data for safety.

Regards
Ok I create zfs one disk partition with stripe...Now can I use it as a storage drive for ftp or dlna etc... is it safe?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 11 May 2019 17:39

ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 17:16
Ok I create zfs one disk partition with stripe...Now can I use it as a storage drive for ftp or dlna etc... is it safe?

Hello, yes, I'd rather say that anything placed on ZFS is safer than any other filesystem, and yes you can create a "Dataset" for the share(recommended) or simply use the whole pool for the share.

If you want some advice on share setup please post output of the following command to confirm you actually created the pool:

Code: Select all

zpool status

df -h
Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 11 May 2019 17:45

JoseMR wrote:
11 May 2019 17:39
ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 17:16

Hello, yes, I'd rather say that anything placed on ZFS is safer than any other filesystem, and yes you can create a "Dataset" for the share(recommended) or simply use the whole pool for the share.

If you want some advice on share setup please post output of the following command to confirm you actually created the pool:

zpool status

df -h
Regards

Here it is

ptpstudio: ~# zpool status
pool: Data_disk_1
state: ONLINE
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
Data_disk_1 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada2p1 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors
ptpstudio: ~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/md0 120M 95M 25M 79% /
devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
/dev/md1 1.1G 901M 213M 81% /usr/local
procfs 4.0K 4.0K 0B 100% /proc
/dev/ufsid/5ca10496ab0624f8 3.5T 2.6T 894G 75% /mnt/Data_disk_2
/dev/ufsid/57000bc2263d64e4 3.5T 2.9T 613G 83% /mnt/Data_disk_3
/dev/ufsid/58551f61f57b2a6f 14G 521M 13G 4% /mnt/System
/dev/ufsid/588f702023e93b82 7.0T 6.4T 553G 92% /mnt/Data_disk_4
/dev/md2 496M 6.6M 479M 1% /var
tmpfs 256M 92K 256M 0% /var/tmp
/dev/ada0p2 1.9G 290M 1.6G 15% /cf
Data_disk_1 3.5T 7.3G 3.5T 0% /mnt/Data_disk_1
ptpstudio: ~#

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 11 May 2019 17:59

ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 17:45
Here it is

Hello, yes you actually created the single disk zpool correctly and is mounted in "/mnt/Data_disk_1", so you can create now a "dataset" to share data or can just use the "/mnt/Data_disk_1" path for the share simplicity.

However when creating a "dataset" you will have control over the permissions and settings by WebGUI and overall safety.

After creating a "dataset" under "Disks > ZFS > Datasets > Dataset > Add" your share path will be like "/mnt/Data_disk_1/My_Dataset_Name" for example.

After create the "dataset" please post output for:

df -h | grep "/mnt/Data_disk_1"
Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 11 May 2019 18:58

Hmm I try it but problem, I cant delete dataset wrongly create name how to deleted? I going use it without dataset but cant delete it now...

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 11 May 2019 19:13

ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 18:58
Hmm I try it but problem, I cant delete dataset wrongly create name how to deleted? I going use it without dataset but cant delete it now...

Go to "Disks > ZFS > Datasets > Dataset" and delete wrongly named dataset(easy).

Alternatively you can rename dataset with below command(if experienced with CLI):

zfs rename poolname/dataset/bad_name poolname/dataset/new_name
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 11 May 2019 19:17

I try cli rename then delete but from webgui no way to delete for me even after reboot is still there

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 11 May 2019 19:21

ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 19:17
I try cli rename then delete but from webgui no way to delete for me even after reboot is still there

Please post output from df -h | grep "/mnt/Data_disk_1" and provide the new dataset name you want, to give you the command to execute, so we can synchronize the new changes.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 11 May 2019 19:48

JoseMR wrote:
11 May 2019 19:21
ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 19:17

Please post output from df -h | grep "/mnt/Data_disk_1" and provide the new dataset name you want, to give you the command to execute, so we can synchronize the new changes.
Here it is

ptpstudio: ~# df -h | grep "/mnt/Data_disk_1"
Data_disk_1 3.5T 88K 3.5T 0% /mnt/Data_disk_1
Data_disk_1/Data_disk_1 3.5T 88K 3.5T 0% /mnt/Data_disk_1/Data_disk_1

I thing no need of dataset for me just how to deleted?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 11 May 2019 20:18

ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 19:48
Here it is

You can delete datasets from the WebGUI > Datasets.:
Screenshot from 2019-05-11 14-33-24.png

if you want to rename by CLI it instead use:

zfs rename Data_disk_1/Data_disk_1  Data_disk_1/new_name
Requires for pool re-synchronize on the WebGUI for changes to take effect as expected, so after rename go to "Disks > ZFS > Configuration > Synchronize" and click "Synchronize" to update WebGUI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 11 May 2019 21:00

JoseMR wrote:
11 May 2019 20:18
ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 19:48
Here it is

You can delete datasets from the WebGUI > Datasets.:
Screenshot from 2019-05-11 14-33-24.png

if you want to rename by CLI it instead use:

zfs rename Data_disk_1/Data_disk_1  Data_disk_1/new_name
Requires for pool re-synchronize on the WebGUI for changes to take effect as expected, so after rename go to "Disks > ZFS > Configuration > Synchronize" and click "Synchronize" to update WebGUI.

Great You right after deleted in webgui click synchronize and is done dataset disapear..Ok what next? If I like to use cache ssd disk for zfs , create zfs cache disk then add it to specific pool? I have 4 disk so 4ssd for cache need it? Or If I use all disk as one ZFS Raid only one ssd cache need it? Question is 3x4TB and 1x8TB can use it in ZFS RAID somehow? One more question is cache working for minidlna when tvs play video from minidlna or cache work only for ftp and data share etc...

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 11 May 2019 21:20

ptpstudio wrote:
11 May 2019 21:00
Great You right after deleted in webgui click synchronize and is done dataset disapear..Ok what next? If I like to use cache ssd disk for zfs , create zfs cache disk then add it to specific pool? I have 4 disk so 4ssd for cache need it? Or If I use all disk as one ZFS Raid only one ssd cache need it? Question is 3x4TB and 1x8TB can use it in ZFS RAID somehow? One more question is cache working for minidlna when tvs play video from minidlna or cache work only for ftp and data share etc...

XigmaNAS WebGUI features a ZFS > Tools for assist with this cache or log addition, one device per pool as usual.

However, I will strongly suggest you to first do some research about ZFS in general and familiarize, secondly familiarize with L2ARC and/or ZIL and best practices for such features.

Additionally, I'm sure you don't need to hassle with any cache for your setup, and you will either not benefit from it or just degrade performance instead.

However, unless you are serving lots of clients, have full SSD storage, have many VM's and also using 10GBE networking, plus the system have enough RAM to spare, avoid the hassle/complexity of the ZFS L2ARC/ZIL.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 11 May 2019 21:27

JoseMR wrote:
11 May 2019 21:20
ptpstudio wrote:

XigmaNAS WebGUI features a ZFS > Tools for assist with this cache or log addition, one device per pool as usual.

However, I will strongly suggest you to first do some research about ZFS in general and familiarize, secondly familiarize with L2ARC and/or ZIL and best practices for such features.

Additionally, I'm sure you don't need to hassle with any cache for your setup, and you will either not benefit from it or just degrade performance instead.

However, unless you are serving lots of clients, have full SSD storage, have many VM's and also using 10GBE networking, plus the system have enough RAM to spare, avoid the hassle/complexity of the ZFS L2ARC/ZIL.

Regards

Yes You right I may upgrade HW I have DDR2 core 2 duo cpu. For my network need is enough 1GPS LAN, for discs I keep zfs and is ok. ThankU very much for your time and help....

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 12 May 2019 16:47

JoseMR wrote:
11 May 2019 21:20
ptpstudio wrote:

Regards
Now I reformat another disk to zfs but why is this. On disk one is ada2 on second disk is ada4p1 is something wrong with formating ? I use zfs for GPT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 12 May 2019 19:50

ptpstudio wrote:
12 May 2019 16:47
Now I reformat another disk to zfs but why is this. On disk one is ada2 on second disk is ada4p1 is something wrong with formating ? I use zfs for GPT

If you selected to create "ZFS on GPT" on the drive, then that is completely normal, since GPT will create a partition on the disk refereed as "p1", if not selected, the entire drive will be used for ZFS.

Formatting drives with ZFS on GPT is pretty much a de facto for most appliances, and enables some advanced features such as labeling, partitioning, provisioning etc.

Either way you choose to format your drives is ok for a home NAS, while ZFS on GPT is pretty much required for managing/labeling large scale drive arrays among other advanced/custom tuning etc.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 12 May 2019 20:00

JoseMR wrote:
12 May 2019 19:50
ptpstudio wrote:
12 May 2019 16:47

If you selected to create "ZFS on GPT" on the drive, then that is completely normal, since GPT will create a partition on the disk refereed as "p1", if not selected, the entire drive will be used for ZFS.

Formatting drives with ZFS on GPT is pretty much a de facto for most appliances, and enables some advanced features such as labeling, partitioning, provisioning etc.

Either way you choose to format your drives is ok for a home NAS, while ZFS on GPT is pretty much required for managing/labeling large scale drive arrays among other advanced/custom tuning etc.

Regards
Ok but first drive DATA DISK 1 there is no number of partition...thats why Im confuse...

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 12 May 2019 20:40

ptpstudio wrote:
12 May 2019 20:00
Ok but first drive DATA DISK 1 there is no number of partition...thats why Im confuse...

This can be caused due the following scenarios, you don't selected "ZFS on GPT" on the first pool creation, the pool was created in the command line using the whole disk, or the detected GPT can be leftovers from a previous disk configuration and/or imported from another system.

If you need further reference in this regards you can use "gpart show ada4" and see the partition scheme.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 12 May 2019 20:48

JoseMR wrote:
12 May 2019 20:40
ptpstudio wrote:

This can be caused due the following scenarios, you don't selected "ZFS on GPT" on the first pool creation, the pool was created in the command line using the whole disk, or the detected GPT can be leftovers from a previous disk configuration and/or imported from another system.

If you need further reference in this regards you can use "gpart show ada4" and see the partition scheme.

Regards
I see ,,,, is it ok keep it as is? When check disks here it is

ptpstudio: ~# gpart show ada4
=> 40 7814037088 ada4 GPT (3.6T)
40 8152 - free - (4.0M)
8192 7814021120 1 freebsd-zfs (3.6T)
7814029312 7816 - free - (3.8M)

ptpstudio: ~# gpart show ada2
gpart: No such geom: ada2.

ada2 is zfs too and ada4 is zfs too.... so what is deferent?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 12 May 2019 21:05

ptpstudio wrote:
12 May 2019 20:48
JoseMR wrote:
ptpstudio wrote:

Regards

40 8152 - free - (4.0M)

Indeed that's the de facto ZFS on GPT the XigmaNAS webGUI do, an GPT partition with a 4M alignment boundary.

Either disk will do fine and no noticeable difference from the user, if you don't have any data on those drives still, just destroy what you don't like and create the same way of the other, either in GPT or Whole/RAW disks.

Remember, you need to do your own research on "ZFS on GPT" and make your own decision based on your preference, because giving you advice based on my preferences and/or my usage cases, either may not appeal for regular users and/or may even add extra complexity for such users wanting just a working NAS out of the box.

Between, either disk partitioned or not will serve you the same.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Post by ptpstudio » 17 May 2019 23:44

JoseMR wrote:
12 May 2019 21:05
ptpstudio wrote:
12 May 2019 20:48
JoseMR wrote:
ptpstudio wrote:

Regards

40 8152 - free - (4.0M)

Indeed that's the de facto ZFS on GPT the XigmaNAS webGUI do, an GPT partition with a 4M alignment boundary.

Either disk will do fine and no noticeable difference from the user, if you don't have any data on those drives still, just destroy what you don't like and create the same way of the other, either in GPT or Whole/RAW disks.

Remember, you need to do your own research on "ZFS on GPT" and make your own decision based on your preference, because giving you advice based on my preferences and/or my usage cases, either may not appeal for regular users and/or may even add extra complexity for such users wanting just a working NAS out of the box.

Between, either disk partitioned or not will serve you the same.

Regards
Ok I have all disks transfer to ZFS...Where is setup of minimum space. I like use 99% free space....if possible... now left in 4TB about 120GB

Return to “Install XigmaNAS”