Latest News:
*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6766 - released!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6766 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS cost money, please consider a donation to our project so we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Help importing degraded pool

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
mrpizat
NewUser
NewUser

Help importing degraded pool

Post by mrpizat » 11 Jun 2019 16:45

So, here is the long and short of it.

I was using some older desktop bits (cpu, ram, mb) to run 3 mirrors (6 4tb wd red) in a pool.

One of the drives failed. I shutdown. Replaced the drive. Booted up. Ran a zpool replace.

Due to a bad ram stick things went poorly. 1300+ file errors. Some corruption and a degraded pool.

It was causing panics on my nas4free install.

Booted to a livecd usb and attempted a zpool import (with the intention to get my data off asap) then the system locked up (bad ram [didn't know at this point]). Rebooted and tried to import again, this time though, the system just sits after entering the import command. Crap.

Loaded xigmanas on another usb stick and booted up. Dropped to shell tried an import (had to include a -f for it to try). System panic and reboot.

Memtest revealed the bad stick of ram. Ditched the ram.

With good ram in i have made several attempts to import the degraded pool (which claims it should be importable).

On my original nas4free here is what i've managed:
Exiting the bootloader and setting zfs debug 1 and doing boot -s i'm able to do zpool import -f -o readonly=on -R <pool>. It recognizes the pool as imported but does not mount. When i try to mount it panics.

On my livecd same thing here only instead of a panic it just sits.

I'm very much so an amateur at this but at this point I'm desperately looking for a way to retrieve my data. (And yes, i have seen the folly of my ways and have already setup two additional systems for backup, one onsite, one offsite)

The original failed drive seems to actually work from time to time.

What options do i have? Can i rebuild the pool with out losing data temporarily so i can get the data out and then start from scratch?

I've seen people talk about rolling back transactions but i can't get a history off the pool to know what transaction to go back to.

Ive tried various flags and suggestions i've read on google and am at a poiny where ingot nothing.

Help? Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help importing degraded pool

Post by raulfg3 » 11 Jun 2019 17:50

My sugest :

extract your disk and put in a new provisional PC (can be a desktop PC), only need enought SATA conectors to plug all the disk.

boot a liveUSB or liveCD version and try to import from this new location ( use -f only ), this time , pool must be imported, once you sucesfully import your pool , sync in webGUI so you can create a share and copy by SBM all your valuable data.

ZFS is solid, but is not a backup. and you need a backup in case of disaster.
12.0.0.4 - BETA (revision 6625)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes
Old Wiki

mrpizat
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mrpizat » 13 Jun 2019 00:14

so i hate when no one ever let's people know when they found an answer to a problem.

first, here is a link to a write up that i used for a good chunk of this, but it didn't have everything needed.
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/thr ... ZVcgwPNtTg

with the above plus the help of a good friend here is what i did to mount the drive

booted up using my original nas4free embedded usb.

exited the boot menu (option 5)
set vfs.zfs.recover=1
set vfs.zfs.debug =1

boot -s

hit enter to start /bin/sh

mount -o rw /dev/xmd0 /
mkdir /mnt/pool

zpool import -f -o readonly=on -R / pool

(this finally got it to mount in a readonly state)

(then i did:)

exit

(that caused nas4free to continue loading with the pool imported and mounted )

from there i just mounted an external drive and pulled my data off. Alternatively i have found that i'm still able to access it on the network so if i really wanted i get more off.

we are of the belief that there is still saving this pool and we will continue working on it tonight.....more to come.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 13 Jun 2019 11:32

change to sticky to help others users with simmilar problem.

Thanks a lot to share your steps.
12.0.0.4 - BETA (revision 6625)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes
Old Wiki

Return to “ZFS (only!)”