*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-03-24: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7389 - released

*New 11.3 series Release:
2020-03-24: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7383 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

[EXTENSION] Bastille Manager, Yet another user friendly jail manager!

XigmaNAS Extensions / Add-ons

Moderator: crest

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Bjork
Starter
Starter

Re: [EXTENSION] Bastille Manager, Yet another user friendly jail manager!

Post by Bjork »

JoseMR wrote:
18 Dec 2019 14:28
Hello, you can add nullfs mounts from Bastille Manager under: [Extensions > Bastille > Utilities > Fstab], or manually, and both directories source/target must exist, failing to do so will prevent the jail from starting as expected, also if this was done with the jail already started the user may need to restart the jail in order to mount it.

Absolutely nothing to do with the filesystem, maybe I should add an auto-mount option if the user added nullfs entries through the GUI with the jail already started, so no jail reboot will be required.
Anything to make the GUI easier to deal with is a good thing. Just be careful with the terminology, you don't want to scare off any potential users. Make the labels easy to comprehend for those that aren't FreeBSD-savvy. Personally, I would add a box somewhere where the user could select data shares on their host system that would get mounted automatically on the jail through nullfs, just to avoid all of the confusion of permissions and mounting and filesystems. (Most people have no idea what an fstab is... When I told my wife that I needed to fix the fstab for my jail, her thoughts went to "Orange is the new black" where people shanked each other in the lunch room... :D )
JoseMR wrote:
18 Dec 2019 14:28
Enabling ZFS in Bastille Manager is a very first step and this cannot be done after you already bootstrapped/created jails since the directories are already created, and ZFS will create datasets instead, so either start over or manually migrating this directories into datasets which may be a hassle for newcomers.

Also ZFS is intended for advanced/granular containers administration i.e. snapshots, clones, zfs send/recv etc, also I don't recommend it for USB sticks so you can skip this feature.
So, I'm guessing that the original file system of the host has no impact on the mounting of folders to the jail? This should work then in an fstab?

Code: Select all

/volumes/Stockholm /mnt/jaildisk/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root/volumes/Stockholm/ nullfs rw 0 0
/Jan

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Bjork wrote:
18 Dec 2019 14:54
Anything to make the GUI easier to deal with is a good thing. Just be careful with the terminology, you don't want to scare off any potential users. Make the labels easy to comprehend for those that aren't FreeBSD-savvy. Personally, I would add a box somewhere where the user could select data shares on their host system that would get mounted automatically on the jail through nullfs, just to avoid all of the confusion of permissions and mounting and filesystems. (Most people have no idea what an fstab is... When I told my wife that I needed to fix the fstab for my jail, her thoughts went to "Orange is the new black" where people shanked each other in the lunch room... :D )
That's a good point, I will consider simplifying the GUI labels indeed, despite the fact that users creating/editing/modifying jails should have at least some basic understanding about FreeBSD jails, however this will change a bit after the Templates functionality is added.

At the moment the Fstab(Could be named Storage or something else?) utility have file-chooser for both the source and target where the user can search and select, but it is lacking to auto-mount if the jails is already running but I will add the checkbox option today for convenience.
Screenshot from 2019-12-18 11-44-14.png
Bjork wrote:
18 Dec 2019 14:54
So, I'm guessing that the original file system of the host has no impact on the mounting of folders to the jail? This should work then in an fstab?

/volumes/Stockholm /mnt/jaildisk/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root/volumes/Stockholm/ nullfs rw 0 0
/Jan
Correct, it does not matter if you want to map a nullfs from UFS to ZFS and vice-versa and can be either read-only(ro) or read-write(rw), also regarding permissions is more of an administrator concern and the Bastille Extension should not modify/change the user directories permissions under any circumstances.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Bjork
Starter
Starter

Post by Bjork »

Trying to enter fstab from the GUI (containers -> toolbox) returns

warning: mkdir(): File exists in /mnt/jaildisk/extensions/bastille/gui/bastille_manager_util.php on line 249 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /mnt/jaildisk/extensions/bastille/gui/bastille_manager_util.php:249) in /usr/local/www/fbegin.inc on line 34[\code]

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Bjork wrote:
18 Dec 2019 20:29
Hi thank you for reporting the bug, the FSTAB GUI utility has been improved, added auto-mount nullfs option if the jail is already running, and also prevent for entries duplicates.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

cookiemonster wrote:
18 Dec 2019 13:31
Hi JoseMR. Is it possible to bring in theBrig jails into Bastille? I have a couple thin and thick.

Hi cookiemonster, as for Bastille Manager v1.0.25, I've added foreign jail import support(TheBrig for now) with few minor improvements an fixes.
Now the user cam import jails from TheBrig to Bastille without affecting existing jails on either Extensions for convenience.

Importing jails from TheBrig is as easy as executing "bastille-init -I /path/to/thebrig/jail_name", here is a example output below:

xigmanas: ~# bastille-init -I /mnt/Data/thebrig/jail4
Importing foreign jail 'jail4' to Bastille...
Synchronizing 'jail4' data to /mnt/Data/bastille/jails/jail4...
Generating new jail.conf file for jail4...
Generating new fstab file for jail4...
Foreign jail 'jail4' imported successfully!
xigmanas: ~#
Sample output on ZFS setups:

xigmanas: ~# bastille-init -I /mnt/data/thebrig/thick
Creating required ZFS datasets...
Importing foreign jail 'thick' to Bastille...
Synchronizing 'thick' data to /mnt/data/bastille/jails/thick...
Generating new jail.conf file for thick...
Generating new fstab file for thick...
Foreign jail 'thick' imported successfully!
Sample output if if missing base release in a thin jail:

xigmanas: ~# bastille-init -I /mnt/Data/thebrig/thin
12.1-RELEASE base not found.
Do you want to bootstrap a new 12.1-RELEASE base now?? [y/N]:y
Proceeding...
Extracting FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE base.txz.

Bootstrap successful.
See 'bastille --help' for available commands.

Importing foreign jail 'thin' to Bastille...
Synchronizing 'thin' data to /mnt/Data/bastille/jails/thin...
Generating new jail.conf file for thin...
Generating new fstab file for thin...
Foreign jail 'thin' imported successfully!

The import process will automatically determine if is a Thick or a Thin jail, it will also try to read from the TheBrig/jail config files to get the IP(IPv4 only for now) and the basejail version, otherwise it will fallback to host version i.e 12.1, it will also include the old fstab.sample in the new jail directory for user reference.

In case the user have a more complex networking setup with IPv6, vlan or multiple LAN's, the user can always refer to the "thebrig.conf" and add the necessary parameters to jail/jail.conf in question, however IPv6 support in the GUI may be added in the future.

Note that the user should manually modify the FSTAB in order to mount/share from the new paths as expected.

I've tested on XigmaNAS 11.3 and 12.1 with great success, also feedback is much appreciated so I can fix any issues asap.

Regards

Updated Usage:

xigmanas: ~# bastille-init -h
Usage: bastille-init -[option] | [container] | [path]
Options:
        -s  Start All Bastille Containers.
        -p  Stop All Bastille Containers.
        -r  Restart All Bastille Containers.
        -u  Upgrade Bastille/Extension packages.
        -v  Display product versions.
        -g  Enables the addon GUI.
        -t  Disable the addon GUI.
        -B  Backup a Bastille container.
        -R  Restore a Bastille container.
        -Z  Activate ZFS for Bastille Extension.
        -I  Import a foreign container to Bastille.
        -x  Reset Bastille/Extension config.
        -U  Uninstall Bastille (Extension files only).
        -h  Display this help message.

Advanced Usage: bastille-init [option] [container] [release] | [newrelease]
Options:
        update|--update    Update a container/release to base -pX release.
        upgrade|--upgrade  Upgrade a container release to X.Y-RELEASE.
        install|--install  Finish installing pending updates on Thick containers.
        clean|--clean      Cleanup the FreeBSD update/upgrade cached files/folders.

XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Bjork
Starter
Starter

Post by Bjork »

JoseMR wrote:
19 Dec 2019 03:53
Bjork wrote:
18 Dec 2019 20:29
Hi thank you for reporting the bug, the FSTAB GUI utility has been improved, added auto-mount nullfs option if the jail is already running, and also prevent for entries duplicates.

Regards
When I edit the FSTAB of the jail through the GUI, it seems to add the following line automatically;

/mnt    /mnt/jaildisk/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root/mnt/    nullfs    rw    0    0
That doesn't make much sense, does it? It seems to be a loop in and of itself.
That line messes things up and the jail won't start due to a failure in nullfs-mounting. Manually removing that line from the fstab of that jail makes it start as normal.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Bjork wrote:
19 Dec 2019 09:49
When I edit the FSTAB of the jail through the GUI, it seems to add the following line automatically;

/mnt    /mnt/jaildisk/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root/mnt/    nullfs    rw    0    0
That line messes things up and the jail won't start due to a failure in nullfs-mounting. Manually removing that line from the fstab of that jail makes it start as normal.
Yeah, I've noticed that also and I will remove the "/mnt" from the source box to force the user to select the source, that entry may be dangerous in the wrong hands definitely, I'll update it in a bit and release new version.

EDIT: Fixed in version 1.0.27, the Source must be defined by the user and the Target starts from jail/mnt shortcut, so again the user must define the wanted path below the jail/mnt, i.e jail/mnt/media etc.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Bjork
Starter
Starter

Post by Bjork »

JoseMR wrote:
19 Dec 2019 16:09
Bjork wrote:
19 Dec 2019 09:49

Yeah, I've noticed that also and I will remove the "/mnt" from the source box to force the user to select the source, that entry may be dangerous in the wrong hands definitely, I'll update it in a bit and release new version.

EDIT: Fixed in version 1.0.27, the Source must be defined by the user and the Target starts from jail/mnt shortcut, so again the user must define the wanted path below the jail/mnt, i.e jail/mnt/media etc.
The problem that I encountered was that the fstab file was modified to include the /mnt mount even without any form of confirmation... It was completely automatic somehow. Has that been addressed as well?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Bjork wrote:
19 Dec 2019 20:24
The problem that I encountered was that the fstab file was modified to include the /mnt mount even without any form of confirmation... It was completely automatic somehow. Has that been addressed as well?
Hi I just removed the predefined "/mnt" in the Source text field to force the user to specify any directory, however "/mnt" is not blocked either.

Please edit the fstab manually if you have tried several attempts before the fix since there may be duplicates in the jail/fstab that may prevent it from starting.

I'm seriously considering now to add a check in the Source field to prevent newcomers from sharing the whole /mnt in read-write, which may lead to accidental lost of data, lets see what I can do today on this regards. :idea:

Thanks for the suggestions.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Bjork
Starter
Starter

Post by Bjork »

JoseMR wrote:
19 Dec 2019 20:54
Bjork wrote:
19 Dec 2019 20:24
Hi I just removed the predefined "/mnt" in the Source text field to force the user to specify any directory, however "/mnt" is not blocked either.

Please edit the fstab manually if you have tried several attempts before the fix since there may be duplicates in the jail/fstab that may prevent it from starting.

I'm seriously considering now to add a check in the Source field to prevent newcomers from sharing the whole /mnt in read-write, which may lead to accidental lost of data, lets see what I can do today on this regards. :idea:

Thanks for the suggestions.
Since the original install advices you to store your data for the install of Bastille under /mnt, it will not result in data loss, just prevent the jail from starting due to a recursive nullfs.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Bjork wrote:
19 Dec 2019 21:48
Since the original install advices you to store your data for the install of Bastille under /mnt, it will not result in data loss, just prevent the jail from starting due to a recursive nullfs.
Hi, I was actually referring in case a novice mounts the whole "/mnt" to the "jail/mnt/somedir" in read-write, and then try to recursively delete the jail with this mount active. ;)

Between as for Bastille Manager v1.0.28 the FSTAB GUI utility is locked to only accept Source path below "/mnt/" and Target path below "/mnt/path/to/jail/mnt/" by default, however there is an checkbox option that can be activate to let the user share data from/to any desired location, also the Source paths must exist in order to append to the fstab.

Screenshot:
Screenshot from 2019-12-19 19-41-27.png

Please let me know if you encounter any issues so I can fix it as quick as possible, again thank you for the feedback. :)

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

li463749780
NewUser
NewUser

Post by li463749780 »

JoseMR wrote:
17 Dec 2019 13:42
li463749780 wrote:
08 Dec 2019 11:46
Okay thank you. Send a link at that time
Hello, sorry for the delay.

The Bastille Jail/Container Manager translations can be submitted in Launchpad/Bastille Manager

Hopefully is all ok, been a while since my last project in Launchpad.

Regards
Hello, has been translated into Chinese first, thank you

li463749780
NewUser
NewUser

Post by li463749780 »

Hello, have you considered assigning an IPV6 address to the container?

Bjork
Starter
Starter

Post by Bjork »

I encountered a new bug in the GUI. When going into the toolbox of the jail and choosing "advanced", the file editor does not open the jail.conf of that jail. Instead, it simply points to the bastille/jails-folder.
If I then click the browse-button and manually find the correct file and try to open it, my browser throws a tantrum and forces a reload of the page.

Another suggestion is to have a checkbox or something that adds "allow.raw_sockets = 1;" to the jail.conf without manual editing of the file, since some applications require functions like ping and other socket operations.

/Jan

Bjork
Starter
Starter

Post by Bjork »

I'm making great progress with my jail! Ssh, Webmin, and transmission are all up and running!
However, when trying to run OpenVPN in my jail, I receive the following error;

Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically
Any ideas on how to set that up?

/Jan

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Bjork wrote:
20 Dec 2019 09:34
I encountered a new bug in the GUI. When going into the toolbox of the jail and choosing "advanced", the file editor does not open the jail.conf of that jail. Instead, it simply points to the bastille/jails-folder.
If I then click the browse-button and manually find the correct file and try to open it, my browser throws a tantrum and forces a reload of the page.

Another suggestion is to have a checkbox or something that adds "allow.raw_sockets = 1;" to the jail.conf without manual editing of the file, since some applications require functions like ping and other socket operations.

/Jan

Hi, this was done on purpose to just point for the bastille/path/to/jails, so the user can browse the file he want to modify, i.e. jail.conf, fstab, template or any custom files, maybe I could add button/checkbox to directly open a specific config file, but that section is only for advanced users though.

As for the "allow.raw_sockets", I'm still working/testing on BastilleBSD but I plan to add this bits in the GUI so the user can add/remove allow.raw_sockets, allow.chflags etc.

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

li463749780 wrote:
20 Dec 2019 08:31
Hello, has been translated into Chinese first, thank you
Hi, thank you for the help and support on Bastille Manager translations, really much appreciated. :)

Note that The Bastille Manager GUI is slowly growing and changing since development but I will update Launchpad asap so missing strings can be translates too.

Again thank you.
Regards!
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

li463749780 wrote:
20 Dec 2019 08:32
Hello, have you considered assigning an IPV6 address to the container?

Hi, Bastille Manager GUI is slowly growing and changing and IPv6 as well as for additional parameters/settings are planned to be supported in the GUI such extra parameters in the jail.con, changing IP address etc.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Bjork wrote:
20 Dec 2019 14:23
I'm making great progress with my jail! Ssh, Webmin, and transmission are all up and running!
However, when trying to run OpenVPN in my jail, I receive the following error;

Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically
Any ideas on how to set that up?

/Jan
Hi, I haven't tried OpenVPN myself in a jail and I can't talk much about, but this is more of a configuration issue to me, also there are several hints about this topic in the web, including an old thread here: OpenVPN in client mode issue - Cannot allocate TUN/TAP

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

This Extension will be fully updated soon hopefully!

In hopes to feature several functions built-in into the Bastille core though the GUI, though this functions may be already present and fully functional though the CLI:
  • *Container export (added)
    *Container Import (added)
    *Container convert (added)
    *Resource limits (added)
    *Rdr (added)
    *Vnet (planned)
    *IPv6 (planned)
And several fixes and improvements.

More info on GitHub or BastilleBSD

P.S. The small update to Bastille Extension v1.0.35 switched to make use of BastilleBSD built-in Export and Import functions which also performs checksums while while importing containers for security, as well as for the built-in convert command.

It is recommended to delete old and make new containers backups(exports), they will end with standard .txz on UFS systems and with standard .xz on ZFS systems, both followed by an .sha256 files required for validation.

Also new variables has been added to bastille default config file "bastille.conf", so an Extension reset may be required.

bastille_url_freebsd="http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/"
bastille_url_hardenedbsd="http://installer.hardenedbsd.org/pub/hardenedbsd/"
bastille_compress_xz_options="-0 -v"
bastille_decompress_xz_options="-c -d -v"
The above is required for Bastille version 0.6.20200202, already updated in latest Extension version 1.0.36.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Quick update, as for Bastille Extension v1.0.37, IPv6 and VNET(VIMAGE) options are added(since added to bastilleBSD core).

Basic IPv4 and IPv6 IOcage images can be imported into Bastille Extension with either the WebGUI or CLI on supported ZFS setups only.
IOcage images with VNET enabled can be imported but requires for manual "jail.conf" as expected, either configurations "config.json" and "fstab" are preserved for reference, make sure to drop both the "jail_name.zip" and the "jail_name.sha256" to "bastille/backups" for importing.

IPv6 can be freely entered in the input field, in either formats examples: "2001:cdba::3257:9652" or "2001:cdba::3257:9652/64" etc.

VNET(VIMAGE) is added though this option is not currently tested under XigmaNAS platform, (Advanced).
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Fixed Bastille Container Manager Extension to pre-configuration network to Shared IP based jails during installation, as for version 1.0.38.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Viper780
Starter
Starter

Post by Viper780 »

Is there a way to change the interface of a existing jail? Switched from igb1 to lagg0 and now the jail is unreachable

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Viper780 wrote:
15 Mar 2020 20:33
Is there a way to change the interface of a existing jail? Switched from igb1 to lagg0 and now the jail is unreachable

Hi Viper780, since BastilleBSD is still a work in progress, I haven't added per-jail configuration edit yet, however Bastille Manager Extension uses and relies on it's simple and native configuration file(s) for it(portable), so basically all you need is to open the /jailname/path/jail.conf and edit to your like, then and restart the jail.

Per-jail edition and config management is planned to be added but since PHP is not my cup of tea, it will take a little for.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Viper780
Starter
Starter

Post by Viper780 »

Hi Jose

Many thanks.
Was pretty straight forward, but needed a reboot from the whole NAS.
Thanks again for your quick help.

regards
Daniel

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Viper780 wrote:
22 Mar 2020 08:20
Hi Jose

Many thanks.
Was pretty straight forward, but needed a reboot from the whole NAS.
Thanks again for your quick help.

regards
Daniel

Hi, you can also use the Built-in editor by going to Extensions > Bastille > Utilities on the desired jail, then select/Execute "Advanced", after that you can open the desired file to be edited by clicking on the tree dots button and save file after edition.

Just remember than you may want to stop the jail in question before making vital changes such as changing NIC, IP, VNET, Paths, etc. as this changes does not take affect on real-time, thus you may even prevent a jail from stop/restart properly, hence a reboot will be required unless you set back original setting.

Unfortunately this jail editing method is not so intuitive and seems more oriented for advanced users, but I hope to provide a better page with all the user editable jail.conf/FSTAB content for ease.
1.png
2.png
Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Return to “Extensions / Add-ons”