*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

*New 11.3 series Release:
2020-04-16: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7538 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

[EXTENSION] Bastille Manager, Yet another user friendly jail manager!

XigmaNAS Extensions / Add-ons

Moderator: crest

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: [EXTENSION] Bastille Manager, Yet another user friendly jail manager!

Post by JoseMR »

Fardilha wrote:
09 May 2020 15:03
One of the most useful extensions of Xigmanas.
Thank you for your continuous update.
Thank you for the kind words.

I'm glad some users may find this jail manager useful. :)

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello, as for Bastille Extension version 1.0.50, an "Misc Configuration" row has been added to the quick config change page.

For now only one option is added to let the user change jail Autoboot option but there may be more settings here in the future, also this "Misc" changes does not requires for the jail to be stopped unless jail.conf values changes detected.

Screenshot:
Quick_Config.png
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

darioml
Starter
Starter

Post by darioml »

Hi.

Thanks for your updates.

I changed the name and hostname to a current Jail via the new Maintenance options, but, there was an error. The name could not be changed, it said.

But, the main problem is that the jail does not appear anymore in the Containers.

Running 1.50 Bastille Extension version.

How could i solve this?

Thanks!

darioml
Starter
Starter

Post by darioml »

Hi.

Great. The jail has been completly deleted in the process... :? :shock: :shock:

Code: Select all

nas4free: Prueba# ls
root
nas4free: Prueba# ls -latr
total 10
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  4 May 10 09:37 ..
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel  7 May 10 09:39 root
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 May 10 09:40 .
nas4free: Prueba# cd root/
nas4free: root# ls -altr
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel  5 May 10 09:39 usr
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  4 May 10 09:39 libexec
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  5 May 10 09:39 lib
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  3 May 10 09:39 sbin
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel  7 May 10 09:39 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 May 10 09:40 var
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 May 10 09:40 ..
nas4free: root#
I only wanted to change its name and hostname :cry: :cry:

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

darioml wrote:
10 May 2020 11:01
Hi.

root
total 10
total 12
Hello darioml, I don't follow the above information in relation tho the jail rename and its disappearance. :|

Please could you provide a more specific information on how you are running the Bastille Extension?, it is a ZFS or a standard installation, are you renaming using the WebGUI or from the CLI?, are you running Embedded or Full Installation?, did this Extension is placed in a permanent location or withing the operating system root?

Whats is the output for: `bastille list jail`

P.S. I'm testing here with the following versions with no issues so far:

xigmanas: ~# bastille-init -v
Bastille version: 0.6.20200414
Extension version: 1.0.51
Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

darioml
Starter
Starter

Post by darioml »

JoseMR wrote:
10 May 2020 11:21
darioml wrote:
10 May 2020 11:01
Hi.

root
total 10
total 12
Hello darioml, I don't follow the above information in relation tho the jail rename and its disappearance. :|

Please could you provide a more specific information on how you are running the Bastille Extension?, it is a ZFS or a standard installation, are you renaming using the WebGUI or from the CLI?, are you running Embedded or Full Installation?, did this Extension is placed in a permanent location or withing the operating system root?

Whats is the output for: `bastille list jail`

P.S. I'm testing here with the following versions with no issues so far:

xigmanas: ~# bastille-init -v
Bastille version: 0.6.20200414
Extension version: 1.0.51
Regards
Hi.

I am running RootOnZFS.

I was running a ZFS installation of Bastille with two jails. One with vnet, which does not boot up and I asked for support last week, and another one with standard net configuration, named Prueba, where I was running Emby.

The extension is in installed in:

/mnt/pool1/extensions/bastille
I did not use bastille CLI at all. The process was as follows:

1) I stopped "Prueba" jail.

2) I updated Bastille GUI from 1.43 to 1.50.

3) Then, I clicked on the new "Jail Configuration" menu of the vnet jailed and I changed its name from Emby to Emby2. The process lasted about 5 seconds, maybe.

4) Then, I clicked on "Jail Configuration" on "Prueba" jail and changed its name and hostname to "Emby". I left the "Autoboot" option enabled and clicked Save. Then, the hard disk ran for about 3-4 minutes (very suspicious!) and an error appeared in the GUI, saying that there had been an error changing its name.

I went to Containers and the jail had dissappeared. I went to CLI and there was not fstab or jail.conf. I pasted you the root folder, which looks just as a template. The contents of the jail is lost! :cry:

I wrote "Prueba" configuration in this post: https://www.xigmanas.com/forums/viewtop ... =30#p94903

Now, the output of bastille list jail:

nas4free: root# bastille list jail
Emby2
What this change of name/hostname actually involve?

Thanks

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

darioml wrote:
10 May 2020 11:47
Hi.

I am running RootOnZFS.

I was running a ZFS installation of Bastille with two jails. One with vnet, which does not boot up and I asked for support last week, and another one with standard net configuration, named Prueba, where I was running Emby.

The extension is in installed in:

/mnt/pool1/extensions/bastille
I did not use bastille CLI at all. The process was as follows:

1) I stopped "Prueba" jail.

2) I updated Bastille GUI from 1.43 to 1.50.

3) Then, I clicked on the new "Jail Configuration" menu of the vnet jailed and I changed its name from Emby to Emby2. The process lasted about 5 seconds, maybe.

4) Then, I clicked on "Jail Configuration" on "Prueba" jail and changed its name and hostname to "Emby". I left the "Autoboot" option enabled and clicked Save. Then, the hard disk ran for about 3-4 minutes (very suspicious!) and an error appeared in the GUI, saying that there had been an error changing its name.

I went to Containers and the jail had dissappeared. I went to CLI and there was not fstab or jail.conf. I pasted you the root folder, which looks just as a template. The contents of the jail is lost! :cry:

I wrote "Prueba" configuration in this post: https://www.xigmanas.com/forums/viewtop ... =30#p94903

Now, the output of bastille list jail:

nas4free: root# bastille list jail
Emby2
What this change of name/hostname actually involve?

Thanks
Hello darioml I've tested more in deep:

A jail rename is performed by `bastille rename` command and this is how it looks on a system with sane configuration:

xigmanas: ~# bastille list
 JID             IP Address      Hostname                      Path
 jail1           10.0.0.100      jail1                         /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root
xigmanas: ~# bastille stop jail1
[jail1]:
jail1: removed

xigmanas: ~# bastille rename jail1 Emby
Attempting to rename 'jail1' to Emby...
Renamed 'jail1' to 'Emby' successfully.
However I've discovered that on a ZFS system, the `bastille rename` command is misbehaving with a half and/or miss-configured ZFS setup.

Here is what is happening:

xigmanas: ~# bastille list jail
jail1
jail2
jail3
xigmanas: ~# bastille rename jail1 Emby
Attempting to rename 'jail1' to Emby...
mv: rename /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1 to /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/Emby: Operation not supported
override r-xr-xr-x root/wheel schg,uarch for /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root/var/empty? 
rm: /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root/var: Directory not empty
rm: /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root: Device busy
rm: /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1: Device busy
An error has occurred while attempting to rename 'jail1'.
xigmanas: ~# bastille list jail
jail2
jail3
xigmanas: ~# cd /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root
xigmanas: root# ls -latr
total 2
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 May 10 10:01 var
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 May 10 10:01 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 May 10 10:01 ..
xigmanas: root#
Effectively jail content getting nuked by:
mv: rename /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1 to /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/Emby: Operation not supported
override r-xr-xr-x root/wheel schg,uarch for /mnt/Data/extensions/bastille/jails/jail1/root/var/empty?

This meant that `bastille rename` thinks that can move the jail directory(mv), but actually it is a ZFS dataset but the bastille.conf is not setup to to let bastille know about it.

Since running bastille in ZFS is an user option, I will add a proper bug fix HERE and update Bastille Extension today with given instruction after done.

I'm really sorry for this inconvenience.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

darioml
Starter
Starter

Post by darioml »

Thanks for debugging it.

Do you mean that this bug will be fixed or just a warning will be added to the GUI? Will be safe to do this operation in the future?

What exactly mean the ZFS support in Bastille? Could it run correctly in a ZFS dataset in a ZFS system without the ZFS support flag?

Thanks again. I am building again another Jail (with proper name this time), and rebuild the server...

Enviado desde mi CLT-L29 mediante Tapatalk

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

darioml wrote:
10 May 2020 12:58
Thanks for debugging it.

Do you mean that this bug will be fixed or just a warning will be added to the GUI? Will be safe to do this operation in the future?

What exactly mean the ZFS support in Bastille? Could it run correctly in a ZFS dataset in a ZFS system without the ZFS support flag?

Thanks again. I am building again another Jail (with proper name this time), and rebuild the server...

Hi, the bug is already fixed and `bastille rename` will be able to rename a jail dataset regardless if aware of it or not in the config, I will submit a follow-up PR to the repo in a bit.

The ZFS setup is a very-first-step(before bastille initial bootstrap) to perform during the Bastille Extension installation/setup, since this is merely optional I think I will make the extension to display a banner message to let the user about this.

However users changing its mind, can later simply backup/export their jails to a safe location then redo the installation and import back their jails, regardless of the file system, i.e. you can export a jail fro ma UFS/non ZFS setup, then import back to a ZFS aware bastille setup, however the inverse can't be simply done.

I will notify here in abit to let the users know about the bugfix Update.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

darioml
Starter
Starter

Post by darioml »

Thank you for your explanations. But what are really the advantages (or disadvantages) of a ZFS setup of Bastille? What happens if you don't setup it that way?

Thanks

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello the `bastille rename` critical bug explained HERE and HERE has been fixed early HERE

Before Bastille Extension UPDATE, please go to: [Extensions > Bastille > Configuration] and take down notes for any custom settings before proceed with Bastille Extension config reset, i.e: ZFS settings compression settings etc., if you didn't customize this file you can safely ignore this step.

To update to latest Extension files and reset bastille config, execute the following command:

bastille-init -u && bastille-init -x
After that you can go to [Extensions > Bastille > Configuration] and restore/save your custom entries.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

darioml wrote:
10 May 2020 14:09
Thank you for your explanations. But what are really the advantages (or disadvantages) of a ZFS setup of Bastille? What happens if you don't setup it that way?

Thanks

Hi, the advantages of Bastille Extension configured for ZFS, is just like said advantages of ZFS over UFS, or say advantages of datasets over standard directories, it is a very broad topic but just to name a few, you can easily snapshot, clone replicate jails etc. :)

To view if Bastille Extension is running with ZFS Enabled visit [Extensions > Bastille > Maintenance], you will see there "ZFS support" if is either Enable, Disable or Available to activate(bastille-init -Z), as well as for Error if miss-configured, p.s. HERE is a basic instruction on how to setup ZFS for Bastille.

Probably home users will not take/notice all the advantages ZFS offers but is nice to have for many.

Between remember to always make a backup of your favorite jails by visiting [Extensions > Bastille > Utilities] and execute the Backup,
you can later import this jail to any system running bastille.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello, as of Bastille Extension version 1.0.53, a guided ZFS Activation helper banners has been added to new installations.

Bastille Extension ZFS Activation Support

I'm not a PHP developer by any means, but tried my best to help newcomers to Bastille Extension to properly setup ZFS, since it can be very confusing for some, so any suggestions and/or improvements contributions are very welcome. ;)

Note that this is an Initial setup only and can also be skipped by just clicking on Save button under [Extensions > Bastille > Maintenance] as long as the configuration is setup properly, usually they are sane by default with ZFS options disabled, also this Initial banner will never show up if Bastille has been already bootstrapped previously, i.e. with a FreeBSD release has been already fetched and/or jails already exist etc.

I will try to instruct and explain here the basics on how to Activate ZFS on Bastille Extension with few images.

Initial Bastille Extension Banner:
Initial_Banner.png
Pretty much self explanatory, this tell the user that Bastille Extension has been installed but need some rudimentary config, clicking on the blue link will take the user to the relevant config panel.

Initial Bastille Configuration Banner:
User_Config_ZFS_.png
This is the main configuration panel for BastilleBSD the zero-dependency underlying engine to manage jails on FreeBSD systems with the OS built-in tools, there is several parameters here and most of them should be left as defaults, however since this is about ZFS activation, only the relevant parameters here are marked, which are as follow:
  • bastille_zfs_enable -> This tells bastille whether to use ZFS datasets rater than legacy directories if enabled.
    bastille_zfs_zpool -> This tells bastille on which zfspool/dataset(s) should create subsequent jails datasets, absolute ZFS path is required.

Initial Bastille Maintenance Banner:
Initial_Ready_For_Activation.png
This is the last steep for activate the ZFS support, and this can only be activated if the ZFS Support displays "Available but not enabled", the available statuses are as follow:
  • Enabled -> This tells that Bastille Extension is already configured for ZFS.
    Available but not enabled -> This tells that the ZFS configuration is ok and the user have the option to activate it.
    Invalid ZFS configuration -> This tells that the user supplied ZFS configuration is wrong, this can be triggered by several factors.
    Disabled -> This is the default configuration for the extension, if the user don't want ZFS or simply don't have it, it is safe to just click Save.

Notifications to be displayed/expected on several config/user choices:
Bastille_ZFS_Already_Activated.png
If the user already created and installed Bastille Extension on ZFS/dataset(s), if checked the box and chick on Save this will be returned, leaving the box unchecked has no effect since the user already configured ZFS options manually, so it will be activated regardless.

Notifications to be displayed on ZFS support Activation success:
ZFS_Activation_Success.png
This is the notification the user should expect after a ZFS activation success, note that this will leave the bastille.old untouched on purpose, after refreshing the browser and check that all is ok as expected, the user can safely manually delete this bastille.old directory, since it is an initial configuration after all.

Notifications to be displayed if ZFS support dismiss:
Cannot_Skip_ZFS_Act.png
This sill be displayed if the user opted to skip the ZFS activation support regardless having the "Available but not enabled", eventually it is recommended to always activate ZFS support, or just leave the options in "Disabled" state, otherwise bastille will fail to create subsequent datasets since it is still residing on a legacy directory.

Overview system running with ZFS support enabled:
ZFS_Activated_System.png
This is the final system overview you will see under [Extensions > Bastille > Maintenance] if with ZFS, notice the ZFS support: Enabled, that's, enjoy FreeBSD jails.

Notes:
Systems already bootstrapped will never see this Initial Helper Banners as expected.
Users changing its mind and moving to ZFS can simple click on the wanted jail(s) and go to: [Extensions > Bastille > Utilities] and backup their jails then store anywhere in a safe place even on a PC as this backups are .TXZ archives, then completely remove/reinstall the extension, the jails can later be imported thought the extension under [Extensions > Bastille > Maintenance] tab, but be aware that Thinjails will require for the base release to be bootstrapped first in order fore the jails to start, Thickjails don't required this as they are self contained.

P.S. Sorry for my English, either here and in the Initial Help Banner, sugesstions and contributions are always welcome. ;)
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

spanish translation finish.

Pleae revise my work.

Thanks a lot. / Buen trabajo
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

raulfg3 wrote:
12 May 2020 17:46
spanish translation finish.

Pleae revise my work.

Thanks a lot. / Buen trabajo

Thanks alot raul for your contributions, really much appreciated. :)

I will add more content to the extension today and I will also add your translations.

Between I will try to generate new translations template files and add them to launchpad soon, since the Bastille Manager Extension content is increasing lately.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello as of Bastille Extension version 1.0.57 downloading base releases will display the default `bastille` output messages for convenience, useful for informational/debugging purposes.

After downloading a base release:
bootstrap-base.png
Downloading additional files for a specific base release:
bootstrap-additional-distfiles.png
Be aware that adding additional files later on, is only possible for the shared base release, and affects all Thin child jails as expected, Thick jails is a one-time jail creation so make sure to select which items you want to be included on said jail, otherwise you may need to add it manually later on.

As of Bastille Extension version 1.0.58 Spanish translation has been added thanks to raulfg3. :)

More useful content to be added soon.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello, getting VNET to work properly under XigmaNAS is not very intuitive ATM as XigmaNAS does not ship few utilities that are needed by Bastille, also this are not dependencies but rather missing bits that are stripped down from the OS as expected.

The missing bits are as follow:
  • sum -- display file checksums and block counts(helps calculate MAC address derived from given interface).
    setfib -- execute a utility with an altered default network view(nice to have utility).
    jib -- if_bridge management script for vnet jails(auto-manage network bridge device).

Creating Bastille VNET jails with the above missing bits will cause jail startup failure, but I've managed to get it working by manually installing this bits.

My current plans are to include said files and the let the Bastille Extension install/copy this missing files regarding the host FreeBSD version, for at least leaving the VNET functionality working, but this should be considered experimental.

Be aware that `pf`(packet filter) is another broad topic and I still don't know how `pf` behaves under XigmaNAS, so feedback may be welcome, even though I'm not a networking guru here and users wanting VNET + PF should know what they are doing ;).

P.S. That been said, Shared IP(aliases) are rock solid and fully functional out-of-the-box and I use them for years without issues personally. ;)
Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello, as of Bastille Extension version 1.0.60, missing network system utilities has been included in the Extension, this little utilities will be installed upon extension startup and only if they are missing.

Also note that only XigmaNAS 12 and up will enable VNET(VIMAGE) jail creation support by default, so after the update, users running the extension with product version below that, will don't see the vnet option in the jail creation panel, unless otherwise reported that it does works on said older versions.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Update, as of Bastille Extension version 1.0.61, now VNET jails will display its IP once jail started:

VNET_Jail_IP.png
VNET_Jail_IP.png
Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello, As of Bastille Extension version 1.0.62, required core updates will be auto-applied transparently for convenience. ;)

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello, Bastille Extension version 1.0.64 update!

Bastille Extension:
  • Will always use the official BastilleBSD Git Repo
    Initial configuration banner wording improvement.
    Removed misleading text in relation to zfs on initial banner.
BastilleBSD Core:
  • Critical Bugfix on `bastille rename` has been merged/fixed.
    Improved name validation for create and rename commands.
    Allow rename legacy jail directory even if zfs is explicitly configured.
    Feature added to create empty jails(will be added to GUI soon).
    Some minor/misc updates, fixes and maintenance.
Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Hello, as of Bastille version 1.0.65, the user can create Empty containers from the WebGUI.

Screenshots:
Empty_Jails_Opt.png

Option Selected:
Empty_Jails_Select.png
As expected, when selecting the Empty jail creation option, it will disables the standard parameters, since the Empty jail option will only create the directory/datasets and a bare minimum jail.conf for awareness.

As denoted above, this are ideal for custom jail builds, experimenting with unsupported RELEASES or Linux jails, and intended for the advanced users.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Fardilha
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Fardilha »

JoseMR wrote:
21 May 2020 02:28
As denoted above, this are ideal for custom jail builds, experimenting with unsupported RELEASES or Linux jails, and intended for the advanced users.
Does this mean that we will be able to install, for instance, Debian inside Bastille? :o

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

Fardilha wrote:
22 May 2020 13:38
JoseMR wrote:
21 May 2020 02:28
Does this mean that we will be able to install, for instance, Debian inside Bastille? :o
Hi Fardilha, yes you can create an Empty jail and drop there custom created jails files, build any custom jail by hand such as unsupported RELEASES, Debian Linux jails (requires proper *linux* modules to be loaded), even you can literally play/experiment with XigmaNAS inside a jail.

This is for the experienced/advanced users but since Bastille uses discrete jail.conf/fstab as per-jail basis, the user can use any existing jail structure as example. ;)

Note: Creating an Empty jail will also create a bare-minimal jail.conf/fstab for BastilleBSD awareness, i.e. you can later perform basic changes on it such rename, clone, export, delete it etc.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

igor_franz
NewUser
NewUser

Post by igor_franz »

Hello!

Today i upgraded my bastille-extension via the webif: New version is 0.6.20200414 and extension version is 1.0.65. ZFS is enabled.
So as next step i wanted to update the base-release too, but it friendly fails:
12.1-RELEASE Failed to download and/or extract release base.

cat log/bastille_last_event.log
Unable to fetch MANIFEST, See 'bootstrap urls'.

Next i tried
bastille-init update 12.1-RELEASE, which worked great! 3 servers found, updated release, ended without errors.

Updating the jails themselve via webif worked fine. No errors and the release changed from P3 to P5 actually.

So i maybe found a bug or is my working/updating way wrong?
Thanks much for any help.
rootonzfs: xigmanas 12.1-release full install

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

igor_franz wrote:
02 Jun 2020 12:52
Hello!

Today i upgraded my bastille-extension via the webif: New version is 0.6.20200414 and extension version is 1.0.65. ZFS is enabled.
So as next step i wanted to update the base-release too, but it friendly fails:
12.1-RELEASE Failed to download and/or extract release base.

cat log/bastille_last_event.log
Unable to fetch MANIFEST, See 'bootstrap urls'.

Next i tried
bastille-init update 12.1-RELEASE, which worked great! 3 servers found, updated release, ended without errors.

Updating the jails themselve via webif worked fine. No errors and the release changed from P3 to P5 actually.

So i maybe found a bug or is my working/updating way wrong?
Thanks much for any help.

Hi, Bastille Extension uses the built-in workarounds to attempt to update/upgrade jails since XigmaNAS does not ship `freebsd-update` tool to fetch and install binary updates, however I bundled the latest tools in the extension for convenience.

Therefore `bastille update target` will fail as expected, but thew solution is to use extension command: `bastille-init update target` as you've denoted.

Also notice that a Thinjail i.e. a jails with a shared base release will updated as follow:
Thin_Update.png

While a Thickjail i.e. a self contained jail will be updated as follow:
Thick_Update.png

Finally the -pX prefix be appended/updated in either containers in the extension dashboard:
Jails_Updated.png

Maybe I could add the Update button next to the [Extensions > Bastille > Releases] for the RELEASE to avoid confusion, as this is a one time update who affect every child thin containers(hence the Base update confirm) as expected while completely independent for thick ones.

I will keep updating/improving the extension in hope to improve its user friendliness as time permits, thanks alot for the feedback, really much appreciated.

P.S. As for the error "Unable to fetch MANIFEST, See 'bootstrap urls'." this error is triggered during base/distfiles RELEASE download if bastille can't fetch the MANIFEST file which is used for cheksum the distribution files which is mandatory, a possible internet hiccup or connectivity lost can trigger this but can be safely ignored.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

igor_franz
NewUser
NewUser

Post by igor_franz »

Thanks a lot for your clarification. Before this last update i could upgrade the base-release via Webif. But no matter, it did via cli.
I have only thin jails, updating these was easy via webif. No problems there.
rootonzfs: xigmanas 12.1-release full install

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

igor_franz wrote:
02 Jun 2020 15:31
Thanks a lot for your clarification. Before this last update i could upgrade the base-release via Webif. But no matter, it did via cli.
I have only thin jails, updating these was easy via webif. No problems there.
Hi, I've re-tested latest Bastille Extension 1.0.65 and I can update base RELEASE in either UFS/ZFS setups just fine too, just let me know if you encounter any further issue updating RELEASE and/or Thickjails over the WebGUI.

Be aware that updating/upgrading over WebGUI just return a simple success or failure message by default after apply, this is because sometimes the updates yield a very very long output of all the patches and binaries that will be applied, hence updating by CLI will provide relevant verbose output for now.

However I will test soon if this very large scrollable inGUI notify does not cause any harm so I can add this verbose output too the notify as well for user convenience.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Return to “Extensions / Add-ons”