*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

smb4.conf vfs_ and related settings - [global] or [share]

CIFS/SMB network sharing.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
tdiaz
Starter
Starter

smb4.conf vfs_ and related settings - [global] or [share]

Post by tdiaz » 28 Oct 2019 09:11

I presume that research has gone into the way the WebGUI sets up the smb4.conf file..
..and that it's setup on a per share basis with the majority of the settings being at each share as opposed to being global.

When doing any reading on various macOS / OS X issues, the examples reference vfs_fruit and ut;s associated sub settings, etc are in the [global] section.
But XigmaNAS builds the smb4.conf file with those in each share as opposed to samba over all.

So, my questions revolves around .. when you need to make changes in samba, changes that are typically referenced as being in the global section, because they're related to vfs_fruit.

Should those instead be in each share as well? I would think that fruit:settings should come -after- the vfs modules are loaded, so should all additional parameters then be placed into -each- share that is intended to be accessed by macOS clients?

...and obviously, the vfs modules must be loaded on a per share basis as well. When I've setup samba myself, I've always done all the vfs loading and settings adjustments in the [global] section and had very little under each [share].

XigmaNAS seems to be a little bit the other way around.

So, since it's been written that way should pretty much any settings related to any of the items that are typically referred to in samba documentation, that have anything to do with vfs, be done individually in the additional parameters for each [share]?

..and for veto files, I see that XigmaNAS puts in a veto files = /.zfs/. If I add a veto files line in an additional parameters, are those adding to, or over-writing anything declared earlier within the config file?

Even Time Machine support is typically mentioned as a [global] setting, though it makes more sense to me for it to be at the share level since I may not want every mounted share to be shown in Time Machine.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Re: smb4.conf vfs_ and related settings - [global] or [share]

Post by ms49434 » 28 Oct 2019 11:22

Global parameters that are not available in the WebGUI can be added in the additional parameter section under Services > SMB > Settings:
services_samba.png
Share specific parameter that are not available in the WebGUI can be added in the additional parameter section of each share individually:
services_samba_share_edit.png
After saving your Samba configuration you can test it by running testparm which can be found under Diagnostics > Information > testparm:
diag_infos_testparm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1) XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U2, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, SLOG: Samsung 850 Pro, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro, Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB , services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U2, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

Return to “CIFS/SMB (Samba)”