*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

PCIE m.2 / nvme advantage

Hard disks, HDD, RAID Hardware, disk controllers, SATA, PATA, SCSI, IDE, On Board, USB, Firewire, CF (Compact Flash)
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
peksi
NewUser
NewUser

PCIE m.2 / nvme advantage

Post by peksi » 10 Nov 2019 18:34

I have QNAP TS-463U-RP NAS which has quite an aged filesystem and I need to move my iSCSI LUNs to another device while I renew the QNAP. Now while at it I will give Xigmanas a shot if it could replace my QNAP all in all. If it works better I am happy, if not I will take it as a learning experience.

I have ended up with a Supermicro server with dual Xeons, 24G RAM, 10 gig Mellanox ethernet and 6 x 2T 7200rpm sata3 HDs. I would like to make Xigmanas perform well with my KVM / Docker VMs / containers which use Xigmanas iSCSI LUNs as their OS and data drives. I was considering of adding 1-2T NVME / PCIe m.2 storage to it but I did not find any user opinions on how much will that will increase performance with virtual guests.

Can you tell me any estimates on how much will I gain performance by using NVME SSDs as cache or part of volume? Which way would be the best way to utilize 2 x 1 TB NVME SSD? Or would it give me better performance to invest in multiple hard drives, say 4-6 more of them?

All opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Return to “Hard disk & controller”