*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Importing discs from Freenas environment

If you are new on this forum and you don't know where to post please use this sub-forum. Somebody will answer your question and/or will move your topic into the right sub-forum.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Jerry74
NewUser
NewUser

Importing discs from Freenas environment

Post by Jerry74 » 04 Dec 2019 01:51

I've had Freenas installed on a pc with 4 discs (1TB each, no Raid). All accessible thru my home network.
Today the Freenas bootloader seemed to have troubles (gptzfsboot: error 16 lba). No way to boot the system.
I found out about XigmaNAS and now the pc boots via USB (version 12.1.0.4).

I want to get access to the discs again, but a bit unsure what to do. There's a lot of data on the discs that cannot be formatted.
I found out about the ZFS synchronization (posting a link in this message to an other Xigmanas forum post gave an error):

Synchronizing the WebGUI when using ZFS is a two-step task:
a) Goto Disks > Management > HDD Management, check box "Clear configuration information before importing disks." and click import in the Import Disks section.
b) Goto Disks > ZFS > Configuration > Synchronize. Run synchronize with all 3 checkboxes checked.

This worked.

When I add a mount point I need to enter the Partition type (GPT partition) & File system (UFS File System).
After applying I get:

/dev/ada0p1: Can't get UFS ID.
dumpfs: /dev/ada0p1: No such file or directory

I hope someone can point me into the right direction.
Thanks in advance.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: Importing discs from Freenas environment

Post by JoseMR » 04 Dec 2019 09:02

Jerry74 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 01:51
I've had Freenas installed on a pc with 4 discs (1TB each, no Raid). All accessible thru my home network.
Today the Freenas bootloader seemed to have troubles (gptzfsboot: error 16 lba). No way to boot the system.
I found out about XigmaNAS and now the pc boots via USB (version 12.1.0.4).

I want to get access to the discs again, but a bit unsure what to do. There's a lot of data on the discs that cannot be formatted.
I found out about the ZFS synchronization (posting a link in this message to an other Xigmanas forum post gave an error):

Synchronizing the WebGUI when using ZFS is a two-step task:
a) Goto Disks > Management > HDD Management, check box "Clear configuration information before importing disks." and click import in the Import Disks section.
b) Goto Disks > ZFS > Configuration > Synchronize. Run synchronize with all 3 checkboxes checked.

This worked.

When I add a mount point I need to enter the Partition type (GPT partition) & File system (UFS File System).
After applying I get:

/dev/ada0p1: Can't get UFS ID.
dumpfs: /dev/ada0p1: No such file or directory

I hope someone can point me into the right direction.
Thanks in advance.
Hello, welcome to the forum.

Be careful, you should NOT mix/associate ZFS with "Add Mountpoint" and/or "UFS" if this existing disks are ZFS already.

Please post output for:

Code: Select all

gpart show
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
JoseMRPubServ(temporary down)

was-armandh
experienced User
experienced User

Post by was-armandh » 04 Dec 2019 14:43

is your hardware 64 bit?
did you save the configuration file?
if yes to both,
install XigmaNAS on a new boot medium
set the NIC and LAN
recover the config file
enjoy.

if not 64 bit I hope you saved a copy of the [not recommended] old software.
or have some cast-off hardware that is 64 bit.

if you did not save the config file it may be recoverable from the old boot medium.
if not recoverable the newest Xi does a fairly good job of importing from ZFS disks.
leaving services to be rebuilt.

fixable worst case
no 64 bit hardware available, save the new or refurbished market.

total festival of clusters case
I have had no luck with UFS recovery situations
if there is no config and they are UFS formatted data drives.
best of luck but it is out of my league
by using this free advise, you, your heirs, etc
absolve, save, and hold harmless the advisor.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

Jerry74
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Jerry74 » 04 Dec 2019 15:15

Via Tools >> Command I entered your command which gives the following:

$ gpart show
=>        40  1953525088  ada0  GPT  (932G)
          40          88        - free -  (44K)
         128     4194304     1  freebsd-swap  (2.0G)
     4194432  1949330696     2  freebsd-zfs  (930G)

=>      40  30249904  da0  GPT  (14G)
        40        24       - free -  (12K)
        64      1024    1  freebsd-boot  (512K)
      1088       960       - free -  (480K)
      2048   4194304    2  freebsd-ufs  (2.0G)
   4196352   2097152    3  freebsd-swap  (1.0G)
   6293504  23955456    4  freebsd-ufs  (11G)
  30248960       984       - free -  (492K)
I have currently one disc connected.
Be careful, you should NOT mix/associate ZFS with "Add Mountpoint" and/or "UFS" if this existing disks are ZFS already.
I'm trying to understand what you are saying;
ZFS is the filesystem used by Xigmanas/FreeBSD/FreeNAS and so on.

A mount point is (to my perspective) a way of telling network devices what name they should refer to in order to gain access the particular drive. \\nas name\mount point name.
Or did I understand this wrongly?

UFS is ... another filesystem? I feel a real noob here, sorry. 20 years of working with Windows, zero knowledge of FreeBSD. Ai.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 04 Dec 2019 16:47

Jerry74 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 15:15
Via Tools >> Command I entered your command which gives the following:

$ gpart show
=>        40  1953525088  ada0  GPT  (932G)
          40          88        - free -  (44K)
         128     4194304     1  freebsd-swap  (2.0G)
     4194432  1949330696     2  freebsd-zfs  (930G)

=>      40  30249904  da0  GPT  (14G)
        40        24       - free -  (12K)
        64      1024    1  freebsd-boot  (512K)
      1088       960       - free -  (480K)
      2048   4194304    2  freebsd-ufs  (2.0G)
   4196352   2097152    3  freebsd-swap  (1.0G)
   6293504  23955456    4  freebsd-ufs  (11G)
  30248960       984       - free -  (492K)
I have currently one disc connected.
I'm trying to understand what you are saying;
ZFS is the filesystem used by Xigmanas/FreeBSD/FreeNAS and so on.

A mount point is (to my perspective) a way of telling network devices what name they should refer to in order to gain access the particular drive. \\nas name\mount point name.
Or did I understand this wrongly?

UFS is ... another filesystem? I feel a real noob here, sorry. 20 years of working with Windows, zero knowledge of FreeBSD. Ai.
Hi, ZFS and UFS are the native filesystems for *FreeBSD, with ZFS as the latest in features/tech filesystem.

Also yes, your 1TB drives are ZFS so you should not add them from "Disks > Mount Point > Management" which was I was referring for, you just need to import them, then synchronize from the WebGUI, after that you can add shares through the built-in SAMBA/CIFS, NFS, AFP, FTP etc. services in XigmaNAS.

This are the basic steps to do:
1) Go to "Disks > Management > HDD Management" checkbox on "Clear configuration information before importing disks." and hit Import.
2) Go to "Disks > ZFS > Configuration > Synchronize" leave defaults selected and hit Synchronize.
3) Share your Data through any of the built-in available services on XigmaNAS.

Regards

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro

Jerry74
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Jerry74 » 04 Dec 2019 21:03

In reply to was-armandh:

Yes, my hardware is 64 bit. No, unfortunately I don't have a configuration file.
According to JoseMR there's no need to add a mount point for the HD?
Be careful, you should NOT mix/associate ZFS with "Add Mountpoint" and/or "UFS" if this existing disks are ZFS already
My "only" problem is now how to access the files thru SMB.

Within the SMB configuration I can define a "NetBIOS Name".
At the Users section I created a new user. The field "Home directory" let's me browse and I can see the folders and files, so the disc is "alive".

When I enter the NetBIOS Name in my Windows Explorer address bar, I'm given a blanco page. So the server can be reached, but no folders or files are shown.

The question is; what is missing so Windows can access the files and folders.

By the way, thanks for both your help. Four discs with a lot of data. There are more important things in life, but it would be a shame if things get lost.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 05 Dec 2019 09:44

Jerry74 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 21:03
My "only" problem is now how to access the files thru SMB.

Within the SMB configuration I can define a "NetBIOS Name".
At the Users section I created a new user. The field "Home directory" let's me browse and I can see the folders and files, so the disc is "alive".

When I enter the NetBIOS Name in my Windows Explorer address bar, I'm given a blanco page. So the server can be reached, but no folders or files are shown.

The question is; what is missing so Windows can access the files and folders.

By the way, thanks for both your help. Four discs with a lot of data. There are more important things in life, but it would be a shame if things get lost.
Hi, you need to point for the ZFS disk/dataset path in the defined SMB share(s) in order to show them remotely, I don't know how FreeNAS(iX) set the mountpoint on the ZFS pools but you can easily find that out with the below commands, so please post the output for:

Find your zpool NAME with:

zpool list
Find the given mountpoint for said zpool NAME with:

zfs get mountpoint NAME
Where NAME is the zpool in question.

After that we can set the proper path under your SMB share(s) or either change such mountpoint to a more traditional location such as below "/mnt" in case they aren't set so.

P.S. Your ZFS DATA is there intact as long as you haven't tried to format said disks, so no worry.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro

Jerry74
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Jerry74 » 09 Dec 2019 18:12

Thank you for the information JoseMR.

I noticed that I overlook an important point: SMB Shares. I didn't see the grey with black background. My mistake.

Right now three out of four discs are accessible again. One disc unfortunately has read errors.

Still don't know where the FreeNAS "gptzfsboot error 16 lba" came from. Perhaps the harddisk FreeNAS was installed on was buggy?
XigmaNAS runs from a USB storage device.

So a broken bootloader and a harddisk with read errors at once. I hope that the remaining harddisks stay healthy, as well as the system.

Are there any recommandations for the power regulation? When a NAS is turned on, but there are no read and write actions, it would be nice if the discs don't consume that much power. I'd like the discs (and the NAS system) to last for a longer time and not having the "fear" of losing another disk or getting some sort of error.

I'm also curious if you can add an NTFS disc to the NAS which also can be read by Windows systems? Like I said before, the UNIX/FreeBSD/FreeNAS/Nas4Free/XigmaNAS environment is something I need to get used to and not worry if "something happens" to the system that causes non-accessible hard drives.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 09 Dec 2019 23:08

Still don't know where the FreeNAS "gptzfsboot error 16 lba" came from. Perhaps the harddisk FreeNAS was installed on was buggy?
XigmaNAS runs from a USB storage device.
Hi, a gptboot/gptzfsboot etc. boot errors can be triggered form a variety or reasons, form software bug errors, buggy system BIOS, a broken product update/upgrade to a dying disk generally.
So a broken bootloader and a harddisk with read errors at once. I hope that the remaining harddisks stay healthy, as well as the system.
Unfortunately the remaining disk will eventually fail once they MTBF(Mean Time Between Failure) is reached, with few exceptions where the disk fails prematurely(Seagate), or the very rare cases where the disks stays working fine even past its MTBF(Western Digital).
Are there any recommandations for the power regulation? When a NAS is turned on, but there are no read and write actions, it would be nice if the discs don't consume that much power. I'd like the discs (and the NAS system) to last for a longer time and not having the "fear" of losing another disk or getting some sort of error.
Just go to "[System > Advanced Setup]" and enable the Power Daemon and select the Power Mode of your preference.
Also don't try to spin down or power off your drives every time the NAS is idle, there is a huge misconception about this and the average user don't now that each time a hard disk spins up, a high inrush-current occurs wen the motor start, wearing out the HDD motor driver faster.

Additionally, as previously denoted if this drives already have high usage hours, start planing on a backup solution, remember that a NAS/Disks are not indestructible devices, electronics will eventually fail sooner or later causing imminent DATA lost.
I'm also curious if you can add an NTFS disc to the NAS which also can be read by Windows systems? Like I said before, the UNIX/FreeBSD/FreeNAS/Nas4Free/XigmaNAS environment is something I need to get used to and not worry if "something happens" to the system that causes non-accessible hard drives.
An NTFS filesystem is not natively/friendly on FreeBSD, therefore you can add an NTFS disk/mountpoint in READ-ONLY mode, i.e you can't write to it thought the NAS share, but definitely possible through XigmaNAS.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “Newbie Questions”